F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Lease car return.
Studio RSR

03-26-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
workshybum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Lease car return.

My wife's lease car is due to be returned at the beginning of next month, but it has sustained a bit of damage to the A-pillar and the paint is down to the primer. It is a tiny spot, but undoubtably something they will notice and charge for.

I've had a quote from some smart repair people who will have to respray the entire pillar for £135 which was about what I'd expect.

Is it worth the hassle of getting it repaired myself or should I just hand it back and let them charge me?

Does anyone have any experience with charges like this? Do you think it'll be much more expensive this way?

Thanks for any advice.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 11:50 AM   #2
AlfaM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340d

Quote:
Originally Posted by workshybum View Post
My wife's lease car is due to be returned at the beginning of next month, but it has sustained a bit of damage to the A-pillar and the paint is down to the primer. It is a tiny spot, but undoubtably something they will notice and charge for.

I've had a quote from some smart repair people who will have to respray the entire pillar for £135 which was about what I'd expect.

Is it worth the hassle of getting it repaired myself or should I just hand it back and let them charge me?

Does anyone have any experience with charges like this? Do you think it'll be much more expensive this way?

Thanks for any advice.
BMW, Mercedes etc.. apply BVRLA standards, in my experience its less hassle just letting them bill you for the smart repair, if there isn't any more damage to charge, they probably wont bother.

have you got a photo?

https://www.bmw.co.uk/dam/brandBM/ma...3957870225.pdf
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 11:58 AM   #3
workshybum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This one is a Ford, but they do use BVRLA to assess fair wear and tear. It's also on a salary sacrifice scheme so any deductions come out before tax, which makes things cheaper. I'm just worried they're going to use a full on body shop and charge me double.

The damage is tiny, that's a 5p for scale. The rest of the car is pretty spotless.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 12:48 PM   #4
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

I'd say that's general wear and tear? Just get a black marker pen on it before they come! If it's not present on their inspection when they pick the car up from you they won't be able to charge you for it if they notice it later.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 01:00 PM   #5
TheLiverBird
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435D M-Sport EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop
I'd say that's general wear and tear? Just get a black marker pen on it before they come! If it's not present on their inspection when they pick the car up from you they won't be able to charge you for it if they notice it later.
+1 Permanent Sharpie marker just before they get there and hope it's not spotted!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 01:14 PM   #6
workshybum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Cheers for the advice folks. Handing back as is was my preferred option so I think I'll go with the 'hope they don't notice' approach. I have a Sharpie knocking around somewhere Worst case scenario they spot it and bill me, but at least I don't have the hassle of having to sort it myself. I'm a bit lazy like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 01:34 PM   #7
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I would hand it back and keep your fingers crossed.

When I've handed back previous company leased cars, I always take loads of pictures. It helps if they come back weeks later challenging any damage. I had an issue with one car which had been damaged after I returned it. The lease company sent a bill and pictures of the damage.

Wiped the dust off my pics and politely told them to "foxtrot oscar".

They did...and I got an apology!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 02:09 PM   #8
workshybum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown
I would hand it back and keep your fingers crossed.

When I've handed back previous company leased cars, I always take loads of pictures. It helps if they come back weeks later challenging any damage. I had an issue with one car which had been damaged after I returned it. The lease company sent a bill and pictures of the damage.

Wiped the dust off my pics and politely told them to "foxtrot oscar".

They did...and I got an apology!
Good plan, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 01:44 PM   #9
Tronneh
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d LCI

Check your lease wording. Mine stated that it would only charge me for anything over £150 and it would only be the excess over that. The fair wear and tear guide should tell you what would be acceptable and what would not.
If i was applying the guide i received and was honest with myself that would not pass. It also stated anything that was down to bare metal or could not be polished out would be a chargable repair.
I had a few marks like that and used a touch up kit from ebay for about a tenner.
I didn't get charged anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 02:19 PM   #10
workshybum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneh View Post
Check your lease wording. Mine stated that it would only charge me for anything over £150 and it would only be the excess over that. The fair wear and tear guide should tell you what would be acceptable and what would not.
If i was applying the guide i received and was honest with myself that would not pass. It also stated anything that was down to bare metal or could not be polished out would be a chargable repair.
I had a few marks like that and used a touch up kit from ebay for about a tenner.
I didn't get charged anything.
I read the guide I got too and considered that would be a chargeable repair. Not sure on the policy wording as I can't locate it/be bothered to read it, so think I'm just going to touch it in as best I can, hand it back and see what happens.

I'll be paying for the repair one way or the other I'm sure and as long as the cost difference between sorting it myself and having them sort it isn't too big, I'll be happy.

I'll update once the cars gone back, in case anyone digs the thread up in future asking a similar question.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2016, 02:25 PM   #11
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

You will be charged for that, but I reckon it's worth a shot. I had a chip on my bonnet when I VT'd my car, I had touched it up but it was noticeable. They put down £40. I would have cost a lot more than that to fix and as if yet I haven't had a charge.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 11:21 AM   #12
ciscopete822
Major
Rep
Drives: RS6 , 840i and others :P

Name:  qwqwqw.JPG
Views: 228
Size:  122.7 KB

They never charged me for that. Very deep scuffs to roof. Have to admit that rest of car was spotless
Appreciate 0