E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Full egr delete kit including egr cooler delete?

03-25-2016, 05:05 AM   #1
Yoxall
Yox335d
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335d Msport 91 Touring

Full egr delete kit including egr cooler delete?

I have got a confirmed faulty egr cooler on my 335d thankfully not head gasket! My car has had the egr mapped out so is not used !

I've read you can fully bypass the egr cooler with a hose or 2 ! And blank off the egr at the exhaust end! I've tried to find a full kit online but can only find the alard egr delete kit ?

Was wondering if any fellow members had done the full delete ! Or should I get a second hand or new egr cooler and be done with it ?

Just seems a waste of equipment when it's not used any more ! And can cause the issues I've I'd ! Loss of coolant and white smoke intermittently !

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 05:42 AM   #2
shady_rulls
Rep
Drives: White F36

maybe this will help you
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=969420
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 04:05 PM   #3
Yoxall
Yox335d
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks mate ! I'm Defo bypassing the cooler! 1 less thing to go wrong !

Alex
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 10:06 AM   #4
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Monaco blue, 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoxall View Post
Thanks mate ! I'm Defo bypassing the cooler! 1 less thing to go wrong !

Alex
Did you happen to go threw with the egr cooler delete...?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 10:54 AM   #5
Yoxall
Yox335d
United Kingdom
Rep

I've just come off the phone to my Indi! Was just about to wire $80 to the states to purchase the metal plugs.

He's just put me off doing it due to the exhaust gas temps. My car has been remapped and he reckons it will not take long for the power to get sapped! He's going to get me a second hand cooler and fit it Friday!

I was speaking to someone in the states who makes metal plugs that block the cooler at both ends! The link in the earlier post^.

For the price of the plugs shipped here I think there will be nothing in it ! plus I won't get any potential negotiate power or running issues.

Trying to get a second cooler is a nightmare rang 6 Bmw scrap yards in the northwest and Midlands nothing !
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 12:20 PM   #6
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

EGR is shut at full throttle. So being remapped will make no difference to EGR. not sure what exactly he thinks is going to happen... The cooler is there to cool down the hot exhaust gas before it gets to the inlet manifold (which is plastic!). If the EGR is blocked/blanked or disabled in the ECU, theres nothing to cool...

I deleted the cooler on my brothers 320d, its fine. Will do mine eventually.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 06:23 PM   #7
Yoxall
Yox335d
United Kingdom
Rep

This is what has been confusing me. My car has had the egr mapped out! So it is not used any more.

I asked Paul my indi before why it still needs a cooler he was trying to explain it but basically the egr thermostat is monitoring temps and it is an intergal part of the cooling exhaust gases that can and will affect the performance of the engine if not there.

Also removing the cooler will mean there is less coolant in the system which may get hotter.

It's really doing my head in.

Does my car ideally need a egr cooler if the egr has been mapped out?

Will I loss any performance with it gone?

These are questions I need to know the answers two. My indi is very good and very knowledgable I do trust what he says but I'm getting conflicting info.

Help! Lol !
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 07:16 AM   #8
Tr1ppy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 330i M Sport

I'd like to know this too as I want to shut off the EGR in the map on my 330i N53.

More than anything I'd like for the intake to stop getting all coked up from the EGR gases, but would also like to have the power and response the car seems to have when engine is cold, all the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 10:32 AM   #9
Yoxall
Yox335d
United Kingdom
Rep

He's got a second hand 1 for me fitted £170 getting done Friday I know then it's done and no more horible coolant going through the exhaust.

It's the easy option and waiting for the plugs to come through from the states and the not knowing 100% that it may affect running/performance of my remapped 335d can't be arsed taking the risk.

Also it only seems to be people in the states that have gone to the trouble to find a solution to fully disabling the egr/cooler and people have done it different ways.

Wish there was a full kit you could buy knowing it works 100%.

Thanks for every1's feed back much apriciated I will take pictures of it coming apart and new 1 getting fitted.

Hopefully might be able to see how the other 1 became faulty,
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 10:35 AM   #10
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

The carbon build up on EGRs in Diesels is atrocious. I'd be blocking mine off asap!

I came across the scary info when researching ways to block off EGR in my 335i and reading about the PCV system. I have a catch can. In fact I emptied mine on the weekend. Only a tablespoon of oil in it but it was horrible thick black tar.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=15

Look at the picture from the guy's 2009 335D!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...5&d=1348774209

Like a heart attack for the engine!
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 01:39 PM   #11
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoxall View Post
This is what has been confusing me. My car has had the egr mapped out! So it is not used any more.

I asked Paul my indi before why it still needs a cooler he was trying to explain it but basically the egr thermostat is monitoring temps and it is an intergal part of the cooling exhaust gases that can and will affect the performance of the engine if not there.

Also removing the cooler will mean there is less coolant in the system which may get hotter.

It's really doing my head in.

Does my car ideally need a egr cooler if the egr has been mapped out?

Will I loss any performance with it gone?

These are questions I need to know the answers two. My indi is very good and very knowledgable I do trust what he says but I'm getting conflicting info.

Help! Lol !
hes clearly clueless.

The cooler is there to cool the exhaust gas that is being recirculated. Exhaust gas is hot, hundreds of degrees, the cooler aims to cool it down as much as possible before feeding it back into the intake manifold.

If its mapped out, no gas will ever flow thru the cooler, becuase no gas is ever recirculated. The cooler is doing nothing. Replacing it is just throwing money away, and the new part will ofcourse also still pose a risk of failure, espeically as its a used part thats probably just as old as the one on there.

I've listed everything you need to delete it properly in another thread.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 02:57 AM   #12
Tr1ppy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
The carbon build up on EGRs in Diesels is atrocious. I'd be blocking mine off asap!

I came across the scary info when researching ways to block off EGR in my 335i and reading about the PCV system. I have a catch can. In fact I emptied mine on the weekend. Only a tablespoon of oil in it but it was horrible thick black tar.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=15

Look at the picture from the guy's 2009 335D!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...5&d=1348774209

Like a heart attack for the engine!

My word, how did that engine even breathe?!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 05:11 AM   #13
Yoxall
Yox335d
United Kingdom
Rep

What is it with American 335d's as an example I'm sure the other models are the same over there.

They get coked up so much more than over here is it the quality of the diesel fuel over there? They're detuned over there aren't they around 265 bhp instead of 286 over here?

I only use shell V power, Never used anything else in my ownership. Never use supermarket fuel when I had the bendy pipe off to see if coolant was leaking my egr was Near spotless just a light black coating with no thickness to it!

Maybe the coolant had steam cleaned it who knows. But that photo is really bad shocking in fact.
Appreciate 0