E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > starting issues? no codes stored?

03-24-2016, 05:27 PM   #1
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

starting issues? no codes stored?

Hey guys , and my saga continues! thought id try in this section , im in the uk , temp is about 6oC avg just now , car always has premium diesel in it , and iv been through a tank since this first happened!

Getting kinda fed up now as it seams to be every month a new issue raises its head

Latest issue is this , starting....

Had the car out for a sprinted drive, drive it sensible the last mile or so to let everything cool back down , shut it off , gave it a wash and then when I went to move it back up the drive it cracked for a second or 2 longer (not much I know but it's never done that before, my start procedures is just open car, get in and foot on the brake and push start - normaly fires right up)

It did it then and I thought hmm, so shut it off and it started right back up fine and fast like normal

Left it over night started it in the morning and it was fine - good I thought

Then later on that afternoon (car was cold) I wanted to serch for errors to see if there was anything stored , fired up inpa and found nothing , good I thought , u plugged the lap top and went to start it and nothing! Zero ! Car just cranked and cranked until I let my foot off the brake , tryed 3 times total and it just wouldn't fire up , started to panic so plugged the lap top in and looked at various readings (the throttle pos ect ect) and just happened to push the start button and it fired right up ! That was on Saturday , and today this afternoon (so not cold as I had drive it about 1 hour before) it did its little delayed start again

Plugged the laptop in and still nothing stored , started up again fine ....

Really at a bit of a loss

So far iv gathered that it's not cold or hot start , a mix of both when I say hot I mean warm as it has cooled down a bit (but not right down to its cold start idele)

Fuel level has been up and down so wouldn't think it's fuel level related

i don't know what to do, at a bit of a loss with it , would rather fix it now than get stuck somewhere ....

Only thing that has changed on the car prior to this happening is the following;

Intercooler has been replaced with a Wagner (standard one burst)
Red boost pipe also replaced and now not leaking
And I fitted water meth kit to the car , it had been used once prior to this happening

Glow plug module or even a hpfp issue ?
It's had the plugs replaced

Only other little issue can think of is iv asked before about the amount of oil in the pipe work , when fitting the water meth I noticed a little pool on the throttle body , I'm pretty adamant the turbos are going to need a service(new oil seals)

Do you think the oil could be entering the cylinders and giving the car issue to start ?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 10:49 PM   #2
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

You have made some recent changes to the car. First is to check the work you had done. Your car cranks, so next to look for a fueling issue. Also, see how meth controller is set up. Or try to unplug everything and eliminate one possibility at a time.
Appreciate 0