ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

03-24-2016, 04:29 AM   #1
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 M3

Lawyer recommendation for speeding in Vancouver BC?

Hello,

I actually posted this in the Canada regional sub forum but thought I would try my luck here. I am a US citizen that resides in Washington state. I come to Vancouver very often and got my first speeding ticket in Vancouver BC. After doing some research, It seems like Ontario will report to "some states" for example, Michigan and New York and was wondering if that applies to British Columbia and Washington? I am mainly concerned that this will follow me back to the Washington state and onto my squeaky clean driving record.

I have tried calling a couple of local lawyers here in Vancouver BC and was quoted $1000-$1500 CAD for their service. Is this normal? Does anyone here from the US have any experience with getting a speeding ticket in Canada? Anyone here recommend a lawyer I can get counsel from? I really appreciate your help, thanks.

-Dong

-Dong
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 10:39 AM   #2
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger Kim View Post
Hello,

I actually posted this in the Canada regional sub forum but thought I would try my luck here. I am a US citizen that resides in Washington state. I come to Vancouver very often and got my first speeding ticket in Vancouver BC. After doing some research, It seems like Ontario will report to "some states" for example, Michigan and New York and was wondering if that applies to British Columbia and Washington? I am mainly concerned that this will follow me back to the Washington state and onto my squeaky clean driving record.

I have tried calling a couple of local lawyers here in Vancouver BC and was quoted $1000-$1500 CAD for their service. Is this normal? Does anyone here from the US have any experience with getting a speeding ticket in Canada? Anyone here recommend a lawyer I can get counsel from? I really appreciate your help, thanks.

-Dong

-Dong
Better call myzmak ?
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2016, 11:15 AM   #3
2HIGH~PSI
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '94 Supra TT 6MT, '15 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Better call myzmak ?
You could ask him, however I believe he's located and practices in Alberta and might not be specifically familiar with BC law. Ask him!!

Another option would be to talk to the guys that focus on fighting tickets, like Points. They would have a pretty good idea of specific speeding legislations and will probably not charge for the conversation, or if you choose to fight it, probably charge $200-300.

Last edited by 2HIGH~PSI; 03-29-2016 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2016, 02:32 AM   #4
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Better call myzmak ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2HIGH~PSI View Post
You could ask him, however I believe he located and practices in Alberta and might not be specifically familiar with BC law. Ask him!!

Another option would be to talk to the guys that focus on fighting tickets, like Points. They would have a pretty good idea of specific speeding legislations and will probably not charge for the conversation, or if you choose to fight it, probably charge $200-300.
Yeah, no idea on speeding law anywhere (even if I were licensed in BC). Best bet is to call one of the shops,like PSI recommends, usually ex cops who focus on saving points, etc, on infractions. Depending on how big the ticket is, any private lawyer will likely cost many multiples of the ticket value.

So, sorry, man, I can't be Saul for you
      03-25-2016, 02:50 AM   #5
AYTifosi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW F82 M4  [10.00]
You can purchase your driving record here:
http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense...ourrecord.html

Maybe wait a few weeks and buy it.

I got a ticket in BC around 2009 - I am not sure but do not believe it ever showed up on my record. I had two other tickets in WA and was never in trouble for getting a third in three years.
      03-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #6
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 M3

I appreciate everyone's response. Ill go ahead and try pointts.com and see how that goes.
Appreciate 0