E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Replacement mirror fitting problems

03-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #1
andyoxon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i E91

Replacement mirror fitting problems

I have 2009 lcd e91 335i msport and I replaced the near side wing mirror the existing mirrors are not auto folding so I assumed they would be 5 pin so I bought a 5pin used mirror thinking it would be a straight swap, however when I removed the old broken mirror it only had 3 pins which I thought were the power fold versions my. I plugged the 3 pin plug into the 3 pin part of the 5 pin wing mirror to see if it would work unfortunately it doesn't and to make things worse the drivers mirror can't be adjusted or any of the Windows opened with the drivers door controls. All the fuses are working and the rear window and passenger Windows still open close with their door controls. I can open the drivers window with the key fob. Also I can't adjust manually the passenger mirror as it is pointing down as if I was in reverse to see the curb and if you press the mirror glass to change the angle the motor immediately powers it back down.

I wondered if coding might sort it or if I need to get a 3pin replacement mirror, but I thought they were the power folding type which my 3 pin one isn't so I don't want to buy another 3 pin and find that doesn't work either.

I am hoping someone here might know the best way for me to proceed.

Andy
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #2
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
You won't be able to mix 5 pin and 3 pin mirrors. You'll need to buy a 3 pin replacement. Also you can only code for one or the other, not both at the same time.

The reason for this is that the 3 pin mirrors use the LIN bus whereas the 5 pin ones don't.
      03-23-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
andyoxon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you bishbosh but still concerned about buying a 3 pin with power folding and whether this will cause any problems as I can't find any 3pins for sale without the power fold
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 02:16 PM   #4
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
It shouldn't do, basically the 3 pin mirrors have a control unit which receives commands to tell it what to do; heat the glass, fold, move mirror up/down and left/right. If your car isn't coded for power fold mirrors then the mirrors simply won't fold, but all the other functions should still work.
      03-23-2016, 02:32 PM   #5
andyoxon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Great I shall buy one and have my fingers crossed, thanks again
Appreciate 0