E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > m3 spoilers

03-20-2016, 08:00 PM   #1
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

m3 spoilers

Guys I need some advice

I installed my m3 spoiler today. I cleaned the area very well , many times . I used 3m tape and taped 85% of the spoiler including the corner ( cut the 3m tape to make it fit) , I aligned the spoiler with tape and ruler. The spoiler is holding up pretty well

I m a bit worry of water getting in between the tape and finally removing it. So I would like to know if I can use something to avoid water from getting in.

My first Idea was to put a fine line of clear silicone on the back of the spoiler ( where the water would get in) to keep water out and at the sametime hold the spoiler a little bit better. However I m not sure how the clear coat would like it

My second idea was to used the clear wrap ( the one they use to protect the front bumper) , just a small piece in between the spoiler and trunk to keep water out

Other than that I really do not what else to know!

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 10:13 AM   #2
CrippledLucifer
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 328i 6MT, '16 F10 535i

Garage List
2016 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I got my M3 style lip spoiler back in December and it's been holding up fine. I cleaned the area to be attached with dishsoap and then with rubbing alcohol and made sure the surface was completely clear of any wax before attaching it with 3M tape. It's held up fine in extremely cold temperatures as well as gotten through multiple car washes. That 3M tape is pretty strong as even OEM spoilers are held on by it.

As long as you cleaned the surface well before sticking, you should be fine.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2016, 04:22 PM   #3
M.Etreby
First Lieutenant
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2011 Black Sapphire E90 330i

i taped my spoiler yrs back, holding pretty well, i wash the car regularly, and i drive fast as well.
no issues.
btw, the shark fin is taped the same way and BMW didn't add silicone or anything to it.
Enjoy the look

F M double Grills, 19"313, Perf.Exhaust with dimisatips, RPI red scoops, K&N filter, LUX-H8 160, Aluminum strut bar, PBX, Perf. Suspension, F30 M-Perf. Brakes
Appreciate 0