F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Anyone tried the new Toyo Proxes R888R ?
GetBMWParts

03-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #1
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

Question Anyone tried the new Toyo Proxes R888R ?

Hi

I am really looking forward to open the track season in mid May this year. I have so far used my normal tires (Pirelli P Zero) but this time I purchased a set of semi slicks. They are the new Toyo Proxes R888R.

Any one tried these? And would should my expectactions be?

How many km/miles can I expect they last?
      03-21-2016, 05:11 PM   #2
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
I was planning on getting these tires as well on my dedicated track wheels. They were highly recommended to me by another friend who runs them on his track car. However I ended up going with a set of RE-71R instead, largely due to cost of the tires. The R888 were going to run me $375CAD plus tax and install whereas the RE71R were only $217CAD plus tax and install.

Would love to hear what others have to say about these tires as well. And after you get a chance to try them out, it would be great to hear your personal feedback also!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #3
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

Sure I will come back when I have some experience with them. When we have track days we normally have short stints of 12-15 minuttes, so it'll be interesting to see if they obtain enough heat to be effective.
      05-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #4
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

Today I had the tires on the track for the first time so here comes my short review of the Toyo Proxes R888R. Normally I have used my dayli Pirelli P Zero runflat and since are none runflats they first of all felt soft.

Another thing I must say is that they are noise. The higher the speed the more humming they are. Even with a helmet it became irritating.

Braking is awesome. I could brake way later than with the Pirellis on the same track. If I started braking where I normally did from a speed of about 100mph to about 50mph I would end standing still in the corner so I used a lot of time to get used to the late braking. Which I guess is fine since we are talking tracking :-)

Cornering is most likely faster but I couldn't tell. I am running staggered and in tight corners the car tended to understeer and larger turns i had to be very careful not to oversteer.

Accelleration I know for sure that they are faster. With the Pirellis I have measured mine to 4.9 seconds from 0-100km/h / 0-62mph. With the Proxes R888R i got 4.8.

However I am not sure they are the optimal tire for a heavy car as the F30 actually is when we are talking tracking. Before I felt save with the tires I had to run at 60psi hot. The recommended maximum is 50psi. I startet out on about 53psi. This tells my that my car is too heavy for these tires.

At the end of the day (30 miles) my tires looked like this:

A video from the track using the R888R is here:

Last edited by Feddersen; 05-18-2016 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 05:44 PM   #5
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

The tire pressure was too high. The tires were riding on the center of the tread. you can see it in the graining.
Why did you feel the need to run such high tire pressures?

I'm thinking they felt like crap at first because they weren't warmed up.... ?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 01:31 AM   #6
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

There was plenty of heat in the tires (very unpleasant to touch). The instructor concluded that I had so much heat in them that I picked up debries from other cars.

The "boiling" of the tires was due to too low tire pressure. I had a race driver and the track instructor help we trying to get the tires right and it helped on the control of the car but they didn't really want to stick to the track and the wear didn't improve :-( .

On the last corner before the straight I had problems keeping traction on the rear tires.
      11-29-2016, 11:07 PM   #7
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
60psi? Seriously?? That's about 20psi too high.

Anyone else have any experience on these tires?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 04:53 PM   #8
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post

No im patiently waiting for my cousin to ship his container to Kuwait with them in it.
Attached Images

12-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #9
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post

Yes. With less psi the car felt unsafe and the tires overheated. The 60psi was recommended by both the instructor and a race driver. I guess a F30 is just too heavy for these tires.
      12-04-2016, 12:50 PM   #10
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddersen View Post
Yes. With less psi the car felt unsafe and the tires overheated. The 60psi was recommended by both the instructor and a race driver. I guess a F30 is just too heavy for these tires.
60 psi exceeds even the MAX pressure for the tire by a good margin, so that is terrible advice. Reviews I've read seem to indicate that this tire is happiest in the mid to high 30s.
Polo088161593.50
      12-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #11
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddersen View Post
Holy crap.. I don't really care who told you that, the engineers of this tire, the very people that design test and build them have a MAX rating as in DO NOT go over that rating. You were well over it and thought that in any way possible it would work? Sometimes running pressures like that can overcome alignment and suspension problems. If you are running stock camber you will want more with these tires otherwise they will roll over. They are grippier than a non r comp tire like what you were running and put more load on the suspension and car. That is what I am assuming these drivers were feeling. However that is a band aid and in no way reflects on the tire. If you don't put your tires (I don't care what brand, compound, etc.) in the best position to do their job they will not work well. Geometry is the biggest variable, different tires require different things from the suspension. Running an r compound from a normal summer tire is a very different proposition to the car.

To give you a comparison, on a race tire like a Hoosier, many people run mid 20's cold. I repeat mid 20's. I've known corvette guys that shoot for 28 psi hot. Also understand the relationship psi will have on handling characteristics. I can tell you from first hand experience, I had an amazingly set up c5 z06, I mean it was magic. Corner balanced, shock dyno'd, spring rates, bars, all set up from an engineering point of view and then tuned in practice. Even a 2 psi difference would COMPLETELY change the handling of the car. I'm not kidding being at 34 psi instead of 2 could make it undriveable. On such a perfectly set up and balanced car the slightest things have bigger effects, however it still applies to a more stock car. I can promise you with a certainty that that is way way too much air.

Edit: I just watched your video, I can visibly see you are not running enough camber. Watch the last half yourself, you can see the tire rolling over. When you start using your sidewalls as tread psi can have a positive effect even when the tire itself isn't at the ideal pressure. Get an alignment (please do, you're committed enough to buy r comps, you are past the point of getting an aggressive alignment). Your car has a nasty understeer, it wouldn't surprise me to see snap oversteer in unpredictable moments as well. Get a track alignment and run the damn things around 34 psi and come back to us, you're gonna want to give me an OTPHJ.
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Last edited by Sauce; 12-05-2016 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 01:50 PM   #12
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

You are completely right that I do not run a track alignment and I won't do that since way less than 0,5% of my miles are on the track.

I actually started pretty low in the PSIs. Can't remember but it was at the same rate Toyo recommended for a 1400kg car for the R888 tires. That did not work at all. Then I added a bit but it didn't help. Eventually I maxed them but even then the handling was unpredictable and they overheated. Then I was recommended to go over and yes, I was sceptic and a bit scared to do it but others on the track did go above as well on normal tires. Finally the car got predictable but still not the expected grip.

My suspension is the adaptive suspension and maybe that has some impact. After all it is optimized for run flats and my old P Zeros did much better on the track. Unfortunately I don't have any track times to compare due to changes in the track layout.

So I am certainly not happy with the tires but hopefully others can contribute with other experiences like in a track alignment or lighter cars.
      06-19-2017, 01:40 AM   #13
Wkdspeed
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Some expert tire advice would be awesome!

I'm replacing my rears tonight with a set of Toyo R888rs 295/30/19'' on stock OEM wheels to try them out (suspension are stock). There are no Toyo sizes for the front available at my store, only available options are MPSS and sport Cup 2s which would be better suited for the front? and what size? (265/30 or 255/35)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 02:46 PM   #14
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wkdspeed View Post
Some expert tire advice would be awesome!

I'm replacing my rears tonight with a set of Toyo R888rs 295/30/19'' on stock OEM wheels to try them out (suspension are stock). There are no Toyo sizes for the front available at my store, only available options are MPSS and sport Cup 2s which would be better suited for the front? and what size? (265/30 or 255/35)
that mismatch of tires makes no sense. what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 1
Polo088161593.50
      06-19-2017, 10:47 PM   #15
Wkdspeed
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAv8r View Post
that mismatch of tires makes no sense. what exactly are you trying to accomplish?
I'm trying to make a sticky setup from what I have available
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #16
competition
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce View Post
Holy crap.. I don't really care who told you that, the engineers of this tire, the very people that design test and build them have a MAX rating as in DO NOT go over that rating. You were well over it and thought that in any way possible it would work? Sometimes running pressures like that can overcome alignment and suspension problems. If you are running stock camber you will want more with these tires otherwise they will roll over. They are grippier than a non r comp tire like what you were running and put more load on the suspension and car. That is what I am assuming these drivers were feeling. However that is a band aid and in no way reflects on the tire. If you don't put your tires (I don't care what brand, compound, etc.) in the best position to do their job they will not work well. Geometry is the biggest variable, different tires require different things from the suspension. Running an r compound from a normal summer tire is a very different proposition to the car.

To give you a comparison, on a race tire like a Hoosier, many people run mid 20's cold. I repeat mid 20's. I've known corvette guys that shoot for 28 psi hot. Also understand the relationship psi will have on handling characteristics. I can tell you from first hand experience, I had an amazingly set up c5 z06, I mean it was magic. Corner balanced, shock dyno'd, spring rates, bars, all set up from an engineering point of view and then tuned in practice. Even a 2 psi difference would COMPLETELY change the handling of the car. I'm not kidding being at 34 psi instead of 2 could make it undriveable. On such a perfectly set up and balanced car the slightest things have bigger effects, however it still applies to a more stock car. I can promise you with a certainty that that is way way too much air.

Edit: I just watched your video, I can visibly see you are not running enough camber. Watch the last half yourself, you can see the tire rolling over. When you start using your sidewalls as tread psi can have a positive effect even when the tire itself isn't at the ideal pressure. Get an alignment (please do, you're committed enough to buy r comps, you are past the point of getting an aggressive alignment). Your car has a nasty understeer, it wouldn't surprise me to see snap oversteer in unpredictable moments as well. Get a track alignment and run the damn things around 34 psi and come back to us, you're gonna want to give me an OTPHJ.

I think he's in Europe so the measurements are a bit different from the US. They're using imperial units of psi.

Check this table.
https://www.sensorsone.com/tyre-pres...version-table/
Appreciate 1
zinner554.50
      05-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #17
Speed District
Premier Host for Track Events
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

dude 60psi!!! I run 31psi hot at the track. Thats seriously dangerous

Friday, September 15th: Buttonwillow Raceway
Saturday/Sunday - October 14/15 - Autoclub Speedway
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 12:00 PM   #18
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau_340i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce View Post

I think he's in Europe so the measurements are a bit different from the US. They're using imperial units of psi.

Check this table.
https://www.sensorsone.com/tyre-pres...version-table/
How? 60psi is 441 kPa and, 60bar would kill you becuase the chart stops st 40bar and that's 400+ psi lol.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #19
ZHP076
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP 076

Garage List
2016 435i ZHP  [0.00]
I raced vintage cars for many years, I started using the Toyo tires when they first became available. They are modern race tires, not the old tires I started racing on 40 years ago. Yes back then we had to pump up the tires to ridiculously high pressures, but that is NOT the case today. I have started with pressure under 20 lbs on hot days.
Without being rude, perhaps you need to adjust your driving ability long before you need to worry about your tires, before you hurt yourself or someone else.
You were driving on solid blocks of rubber at those pressures, the tires are very soft, use them in the proper manner, then you will see the results you are looking for.
2016 435i ZHP #76
RACE CAR
spelled backwards is
RACE CAR
Appreciate 0