BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > BMW Company Discount

03-17-2016, 06:25 PM   #1
DEV M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Evo X MR

BMW Company Discount

Hi All,

I get a 6% discount (off MSRP) on BMWs including M models through my employer. I am on the fence on buying an M2. But given I receive this discount and the M2 is a brand new model likely going for at least MSRP, I am really considering placing an order.

What are folks paying for these if not MSRP? Are any going for less than MSRP? Is the 6% off deal too good to pass up knowing if I sold the car used in a few years I wouldn't lose much in depreciation?

Thanks for letting me know your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 10:16 PM   #2
kovsky
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, finally

May I ask why you are on the fence? Paying under $49k for a M2 is quite the bargain!

Last edited by kovsky; 04-19-2016 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2016, 10:29 PM   #3
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Buy it! 6% off is good and mostly everyone is paying MSRP. I'm paying MSRP but would be stoked to get just 1% off lol.

I also get BMW discount through my employer but doesn't work on M models, fail
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2016, 10:42 PM   #4
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEV M3 View Post
Hi All,

I get a 6% discount (off MSRP) on BMWs including M models through my employer. I am on the fence on buying an M2. But given I receive this discount and the M2 is a brand new model likely going for at least MSRP, I am really considering placing an order.

What are folks paying for these if not MSRP? Are any going for less than MSRP? Is the 6% off deal too good to pass up knowing if I sold the car used in a few years I wouldn't lose much in depreciation?

One of the SAs I talked to said Employees wouldn't be allowed to purchase the first cars.

I doubt any will be sold below MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 11:40 PM   #5
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I don't think i would ever buy a car purely to take advantage of a discount. If it is a car you want the discount is a good way to buy it. Right now most dealers seem to be going with over MSRP, I think that will change in a year or perhaps a little less. At this point the waiting lists that dealers have extend past the amount of cars they will be getting for the next year so its most likely too late to score a 2016 this year. If you want one I would get on several lists and then wait until your turn comes up and then make the decision.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2016, 06:48 AM   #6
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

One question to ask yourself is: how long are you willing to wait? Because there's a very high likelihood you'll only get a car in 2017 at this point.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 07:04 AM   #7
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEV M3
Hi All,

I'm curious as to what would have you "on the fence" as well.

The M2 is a a helluva car at a helluva price.

Like the 1M, its nearest competition is really the Porsche Cayman and the M2 will likely be considered the equal of nearly all Caymans with the exception of the GT4.

The $45k 1M was always compared to the $76K Cayman R. The M2 is trounced by an 84K GT4 (understandably) and we will see how the new turbo Cayman fares but I expect the Cayman S to be the closest competitor.

The M2 will be produced in lower figures than the M4 which will make it more rare. You are late to the game but perhaps if you look hard you will find a 2016 model.

most dealers in the US are selling at or above MSRP currently. Conventional wisdom for most new cars is that this will die down after awhile.

Conventional wisdom seems to be having a battle with production realities at the moment however and it does appear that the M2 will be hard to come by for awhile.

If you are able to get a car and use your discount then a great price on a great car becomes a PHENOMENAL situation.

As far as resale value, BMWs smaller M cars, the 1M/M3/M4/MZ3/MZ4 all hold their value far better than the average vehicle. I expect the M2 to be the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 07:19 AM   #8
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps
Quote:
Hi All,

One of the SAs I talked to said Employees wouldn't be allowed to purchase the first cars.

I believe that OP indicted he gets a discount via his employer... Not that he is a dealer employee.

I would tend to agree with you on the availability of an M2 for employees but as opposed to it being a dealer policy, consider this ;

when the 1M came out and once production figures were finally announced a lot of dealer owners magically purchased cars and a lot of cars turned from MSRP to 5-10k markup , either basically would probably force out most dealer employees anyway as they wouldn't want to pay over market if they normally get a discount and certainly they aren't gonna get a car over the owner.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 08:28 PM   #9
DEV M3
Private
United_States
Rep

I got on a waitlist at the largest dealer in Houston. Said I was number 19 but could move up if others back out. Deposit is refundable up until it goes into build status. He estimated my delivery date would be 4Q this year.

I am on the fence because I know this would not be my long term car (want to get an exctint N/A car like an E92 M3 or Viper to keep in the long run) but rather I would only keep this for 2-3 years then sell it. When I do go to sell it I want to ensure it has a very strong resale value and I don't lose much on depreciation. If all works out this could be a perfect stop-gap for me for a few years!
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2016, 09:18 PM   #10
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I believe that OP indicted he gets a discount via his employer... Not that he is a dealer employee.

I would tend to agree with you on the availability of an M2 for employees but as opposed to it being a dealer policy, consider this ;

when the 1M came out and once production figures were finally announced a lot of dealer owners magically purchased cars and a lot of cars turned from MSRP to 5-10k markup , either basically would probably force out most dealer employees anyway as they wouldn't want to pay over market if they normally get a discount and certainly they aren't gonna get a car over the owner.
Oh. I missed that. I would be amazed if the OP can get any discounts. When I asked for a discount ( just waiving of the destination fee) they told me I'm already getting a large discount at MRSP. Since they felt the actual market value of the car was 5-10K over MSRP at the time of order. They went on to talk about the market premium to be the first owners of a new and exciting car. He said I'd get a great discount when they have more allocations than buyers.

There's nothing to negotiate with at this point in time.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 11:29 PM   #11
DEV M3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
Oh. I missed that. I would be amazed if the OP can get any discounts. When I asked for a discount ( just waiving of the destination fee) they told me I'm already getting a large discount at MRSP. Since they felt the actual market value of the car was 5-10K over MSRP at the time of order. They went on to talk about the market premium to be the first owners of a new and exciting car. He said I'd get a great discount when they have more allocations than buyers.

There's nothing to negotiate with at this point in time.
I am able to get a 6% discount through my employer. It comes out to be a savings of a little over $3k off MSRP
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 07:58 AM   #12
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEV M3
I got on a waitlist at the largest dealer in Houston. Said I was number 19 but could move up if others back out. Deposit is refundable up until it goes into build status. He estimated my delivery date would be 4Q this year.

I am on the fence because I know this would not be my long term car (want to get an exctint N/A car like an E92 M3 or Viper to keep in the long run) but rather I would only keep this for 2-3 years then sell it. When I do go to sell it I want to ensure it has a very strong resale value and I don't lose much on depreciation. If all works out this could be a perfect stop-gap for me for a few years!
For your purposes, a used 1M might be better than an M2 unless a warranty is needed.

Or... Just make your best deal on an E9x now and hold onto it because it is the last of the NA motored M3s.

As far as the 6 percent discount , while we understand that you have a discount , what we are also saying is that if this car is still this white hot when your allocation comes open, it's fairly likely that the dealer may disallow the discount or they may add a markup fee because the car is in such high demand.

If you can get your 6 percent off an M2 by either company discount or EUROPEAN delivery discount then rock on ! Just don't be surprised if the deal changes by the time delivery occurs.

One dealer promised a guy cross country deliver for free and has already pulled back.

Other people have had 5k " market adjustments " happen as well, for example BMW of Dallas.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 09:00 AM   #13
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
For your purposes, a used 1M might be better than an M2 unless a warranty is needed.

Or... Just make your best deal on an E9x now and hold onto it because it is the last of the NA motored M3s.

As far as the 6 percent discount , while we understand that you have a discount , what we are also saying is that if this car is still this white hot when your allocation comes open, it's fairly likely that the dealer may disallow the discount or they may add a markup fee because the car is in such high demand.

If you can get your 6 percent off an M2 by either company discount or EUROPEAN delivery discount then rock on ! Just don't be surprised if the deal changes by the time delivery occurs.

One dealer promised a guy cross country deliver for free and has already pulled back.

Other people have had 5k " market adjustments " happen as well.
If this discount is through his company wouldn't the dealer still get their money? The discount should be out of BMW corporate's pocket, unless this is something that this dealership does for local business. In that case, I could see them excluding the M2.
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #14
DEV M3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
If this discount is through his company wouldn't the dealer still get their money? The discount should be out of BMW corporate's pocket, unless this is something that this dealership does for local business. In that case, I could see them excluding the M2.
Correct, the way It works is I get a voucher to bring into the dealer for 6% off. BMW Corporate then refunds the dealer the discounted amount. It does not exclude any models as far as I know
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 10:43 AM   #15
sgrinavi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 911GTS & 2014 X1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post

I got a quote yesterday at 4% below MSRP
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 12:32 PM   #16
DEV M3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrinavi View Post
I got a quote yesterday at 4% below MSRP
Are you a BMW employee or just negotiated a below MSRP deal?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #17
sgrinavi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 911GTS & 2014 X1

Garage List
Quote:
Not a BMW employee.

I didn't even ask, they just offered it to me. I have purchased 4 or 5 cars from this dealership, but nothing extraordinary. I think it's just starting to slow down and they want to move stuff.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 03:25 PM   #18
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrinavi
Quote:
Not a BMW employee.

I didn't even ask, they just offered it to me. I have purchased 4 or 5 cars from this dealership, but nothing extraordinary. I think it's just starting to slow down and they want to move stuff.
Also keep in mind that if they don't move M2's, BMW is likely to cut their supply going forward, which may not be something the dealership wants come sumemrtime
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 07:12 PM   #19
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrinavi View Post
Not a BMW employee.

Why would they want to "move stuff" they don't even have in stock to sell and people are on a waiting list ten deep?

Was this on an M2 or some other car?
Appreciate 0