F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Automatic emergency braking
Studio RSR

03-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #1
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Automatic emergency braking

Having a quick look at work so can't spend hours on the site, I cant see any options that have this?
The feature I mean is that if the car senses something in front and the driver has not braked the car stops by itself.

The reason I ask is that I have a loan skoda at the moment and it has this feature. Whilst out today a car turned off in front along a slow road so I pulled over to the right quite safely to go past and the stupid thing kicked in and slammed on the brakes. Luckily we were not going fast and no one was behind us.

I want to make sure such things do not exist on the new 340!

I have not ordered any driver assist packs.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 11:12 AM   #2
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

If it does it will be an option.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Can't resist another chance to share this clanger.........

I don't think BMW has this this as an option on the F30 yet let alone standard?
      03-17-2016, 11:30 AM   #4
Brigadier General
Rep

Ouch! Yes a working version of that! On a fabia of all things.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #5
stu14t
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 330i MSport Pro

I've just had a 65 plate X1 as a loaner while mine was in. I think it must of had something like that in. A guy stuck his nose out of a junction on the left and the car started bleeping at me. I'm not sure if it was actually going to take over or just beep louder.
Gone - 2012 F30 320 ED
Gone - 2011 E87 118d
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 03:50 PM   #6
AdmiralGant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i saloon

I picked up my new 330d M Sport Saloon last week and it has it, I did not tick an option for it, but did for adaptive cruise.

It beeped loadly at me and had a red warning up last week when a car was waiting to turn right in the centre of the road and I went round it, but it did not brake.

My last car, a VW Golf GTD had it too, it sometimes braked, it even braked because a plastic bag was floating about in the road.

You can switch it off on the 3 series, I have a button below the lights buttons on the right of the steering wheel.

Also drive BMW Z4 S Drive 23i Auto, Suzuki Jimny JLX+
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 04:27 PM   #7
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

the mrs has this on her qashqai. Just causes beeps and then more beeps from arguments.

Apparently it never happens when she is driving just when i'm driving.
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2016, 04:37 PM   #8
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Front assist, it's by no means perfected yet.....
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 04:39 PM   #9
AlfaM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340d

I've got Active Cruise Control and HUD and it displays a 'Red Car' in the HUD and bleeps if I'm getting a bit close to the car infront. It appears to be a passive system with no application of the brakes etc..

The image is similar to this...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 04:48 PM   #10
335d Touring Xdrive
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 335d Touring

Quite a few VW Golf owners have been complaining about this feature. As they approach a vehicle to overtake it, at the point they increase their speed to pull out and overtake, the bloody thing slams the brakes on. They are not happy over there in the VW camp. Neither would I be if I had this feature. Not good for the fast sprints in the countryside on a Sunday morning.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 04:52 PM   #11
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonie
I've got Active Cruise Control and HUD and it displays a 'Red Car' in the HUD and bleeps if I'm getting a bit close to the car infront. It appears to be a passive system with no application of the brakes etc..

The image is similar to this...
I have had it intervene only once in a year..... Up till then I thought it was only passive too....
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 05:32 PM   #12
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralGant View Post
I picked up my new 330d M Sport Saloon last week and it has it, I did not tick an option for it, but did for adaptive cruise.

It beeped loadly at me and had a red warning up last week when a car was waiting to turn right in the centre of the road and I went round it, but it did not brake.

My last car, a VW Golf GTD had it too, it sometimes braked, it even braked because a plastic bag was floating about in the road.

You can switch it off on the 3 series, I have a button below the lights buttons on the right of the steering wheel.
You can also turn down the sensitivity in the settings menu.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 07:05 PM   #13
davybull
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive touring mSport

I have had it apply the brakes once when a vehicle was turning left in front of me and I went to go around him.

Must use the radar that the adaptive cruise uses.

Dave.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 02:43 AM   #14
subsy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335d Touring Xdrive View Post
Quite a few VW Golf owners have been complaining about this feature. As they approach a vehicle to overtake it, at the point they increase their speed to pull out and overtake, the bloody thing slams the brakes on. They are not happy over there in the VW camp. Neither would I be if I had this feature. Not good for the fast sprints in the countryside on a Sunday morning.
I had a mk7 golf - think it was part of the adaptive cruise control. It would sometime apply just before going round tight right handlers and it thought the tree on the apex was something you were about to hit. Bloody awful.

I'm hoping the BMW system (I'm assuming a it's part of Active Cruise) is much better - reports above suggest it is.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2016, 02:50 AM   #15
subsy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

This is the blurb about the 'Dynamic Safety' option, also included in the (rather confusingly named) 'Active Security Package'

Dynamic Safety is the BMW ConnectedDrive preventive passenger protection system. After the front seat belts are buckled, they are automatically pretensioned when the car starts moving. When a critical situation arises on the road, the front seat belts are pretensioned and the side windows and sliding roof are closed, if required. The front passenger seat backrest is automatically returned to an upright position. Examples of dangerous situations include emergency braking initiated by the driver, or if the vehicle demonstrated excessive understeer or oversteer. In vehicles fitted with Approach control warning or Approach control warning with light braking function, imminent collisions with vehicles driving or stopped ahead can be recognised within certain systematic limits. In the event of a crash, the system in the vehicle can - in certain situations - automatically bring the car to a stop without the driver's intervention. This can minimise the risk of a further collision and reduce the accident's consequences. The Attentiveness Assistant also recognises if the driver is displaying signs of increasing inattentiveness or fatigue on long, monotonous drives. This system analyses the steering response and reacts to irregular driving behaviour by issuing a message in the Control Display suggesting to the driver to take a break and emitting an acoustic signal.

Benefits at a glance:
- reduces the risk of an accident by warning about fatigue or inattentiveness
- minimises the consequences of a collision by bringing the vehicle to a standstill if an imminent collision is recognised

This is the blurb from the 'Active Cruise Control with Stop and Go Function'

Active Cruise Control (ACC) with 'Stop and Go' function incl. radar-based approach control warning with full and targeted braking offers the option of greater comfort and safety in traffic jams. The system maintains a speed preselected by the driver, as well as the distance to the driver ahead. The vehicle takes over accelerating and braking and keeps the predetermined distance to the car ahead even in slow-moving traffic and down to a stand-still in traffic jams. If the car approaches the vehicle ahead of it, or if another vehicle enters the lane, the system precisely adjusts the speed to take the other vehicle into account. The 'Stop and Go' function not only automatically regulates speed down to standstill, it also automatically accelerates back up to the desired speed within a limited time frame as soon as traffic flow allows. If a vehicle ahead brakes suddenly, the BMW responds immediately when the approach control warning is activated. The system operates in steps. A warning symbol is first displayed, then the symbol begins blinking and an acoustic warning is emitted, and finally the brakes are applied.

Benefits at a glance:
- automatic regulation of speed and the distance to the vehicle ahead
- eases the burden on the driver and is particularly convenient in heavy traffic
- increased driving comfort in typical start-stop driving situations
- reduced risk of rear-end collisions
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 04:36 AM   #16
Stooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsy View Post
I had a mk7 golf - think it was part of the adaptive cruise control. It would sometime apply just before going round tight right handlers and it thought the tree on the apex was something you were about to hit. Bloody awful.

I'm hoping the BMW system (I'm assuming a it's part of Active Cruise) is much better - reports above suggest it is.
Having ACC on while going round twisty roads is a pretty sure fire way to end up in a ditch. It's made for motorways and won't behave when getting close to objects on the other side of roads.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 04:53 AM   #17
subsy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooo View Post
Having ACC on while going round twisty roads is a pretty sure fire way to end up in a ditch. It's made for motorways and won't behave when getting close to objects on the other side of roads.
You misunderstand.

ACC wasn't on. I'm not an idiot

The active braking 'safety' function was something that only came with the ACC option on the spec sheet because it required the camera/radar
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 05:00 AM   #18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335d Touring Xdrive
Would make sense its probably the same one in the fabia from the vw parts bin. Bl00dy should be in the bin.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2016, 05:12 AM   #19
ep22jg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335d Touring Xdrive View Post
Probably the same system I had on my Audi S4

Even though adaptive cruise wasn't on, it would always pick up things in front of the car. It would either flash up a red car symbol, bleep or worse was as described above.
Just as you pull out to overtake, it would judder the breaks, flash up the red car and beep!!
The first time it did it, I nearly shit myself as it made me jump!!

This is the sole reason I won't spend money on adaptive cruise as an option.

Just not good enough IMO
      03-18-2016, 06:37 AM   #20
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

You get front assist if you have ACC. Its active even if ACC isn't unless you turn it off.

Theres sensitivity settings in iDrive and a button to turn it off altogether below the light switch area.....
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 08:07 AM   #21
davybull
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive touring mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Theres sensitivity settings in iDrive and a button to turn it off altogether below the light switch area.....
Didn't know that!! I'll have to have a look.

Yes I know

Dave.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2019, 08:58 AM   #22
hmmwvj
Private
Rep
Drives: F30N 320i

Does anyone know if AEB vetoes accelerator input if the car is at a stop?

Say if I floor it while stopped in traffic, can I expect to hit the car in front, not move at all, or move and have the brakes applied?
Appreciate 0