E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Hid cant hold charge

03-11-2016, 07:59 PM   #1
vponn1106
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Exclamation Hid cant hold charge

I have a 2008 328I. I installed hids on my low beam. Every thing works fine when the car is off. Once I start the car, my hids can't hold the charge? It'll turn on for about maybe 10 seconds and shut off. Only when the car is on. But it's it's off, the hids stays on just fine. It seems like it's not enough power going too the hids. While the car was on I checked my voltage on my batter and it's at 14 so the alternator is charging my battery. And when the car is off, I check the voltage on the hids and its at 12 volts. Anyone have a clue what it could be?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 11:38 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vponn1106 View Post
I have a 2008 328I. I installed hids on my low beam. Every thing works fine when the car is off. Once I start the car, my hids can't hold the charge? It'll turn on for about maybe 10 seconds and shut off. Only when the car is on. But it's it's off, the hids stays on just fine. It seems like it's not enough power going too the hids. While the car was on I checked my voltage on my batter and it's at 14 so the alternator is charging my battery. And when the car is off, I check the voltage on the hids and its at 12 volts. Anyone have a clue what it could be?
The bulb is probably bad. Unless the HID is not error free, in which case they will turn on and shortly turn off.

HID use a lot of power to start up. Once they are on they use very minimal amount of power to stay lit. It doesn't sound like a power issue if they actually start up.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 03-14-2016 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 04:51 PM   #3
vponn1106
Registered
Rep

They come on fine when the car is off. But once I start the car, it seems like there's not enough power going to the bulbs. They stay lit for about 10 seconds. But if the car is off they stay on just fine. I don't think its bad bulbs. And if its not error free then they shouldn't work at all right?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 09:01 PM   #4
uber
uber driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Are you using a relay harness?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 09:10 PM   #5
vponn1106
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber View Post
Are you using a relay harness?
Not sure what that's is haha. Just a hid kit with ballest
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 08:56 AM   #6
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Is there any coding required when doing a HID kit on a halogen equipped car?
      03-16-2016, 11:01 AM   #7
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

The car needs to be coded for xenons.

The reason why your HIDs work ok with the motor off, is because PWM is not enabled.

With the motor on, alternator voltage takes over and raises voltage above 12v. PWM is used to step down alternator voltage. For halogen fixtures, voltage is often dropped below 12v to extend bulb life and control brightness.

Code the car for xenons/remove PWM manipulation and you don't need to worry about any of this "CANBUS" crap....

To remove PWM manipulation for fixtures other than the main beam headlamps, you need to force code the car via nettodat coding. Most HID ballasts require a minimum input voltage of 8v. So any voltage above that should be ok. They often operate up to 18v so there is no concern of raising voltage to high in regards to protecting the ballast from over-voltage. However the wiring may not be handle voltages above 13v.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 11:45 AM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
They come on fine when the car is off. But once I start the car, it seems like there's not enough power going to the bulbs. They stay lit for about 10 seconds. But if the car is off they stay on just fine. I don't think its bad bulbs. And if its not error free then they shouldn't work at all right?
As mentioned previously, the common characteristic of HID kits that are not error free is they will come on and turn off a few seconds later after the vehicle determine there is a "malfunction".

In the case of HID, when they first turn on they pull plenty of juice. As they heat up, they need less power then your stock bulbs and as a result your vehicle thinks the lights out and shuts off power to the area.

That's also why it works when the car is off because the ECU is not checking for errors at that time.

You need error free canbus HID kits.

Generic ones will not work, error cancellors may or may not work. (That depends on the quality of the kit).

You can also have the vehicle coded so they do not error out.

We are offer coding or Error free HID kits if you are interested.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #9
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
As mentioned previously, the common characteristic of HID kits that are not error free is they will come on and turn off a few seconds later after the vehicle determine there is a "malfunction".

In the case of HID, when they first turn on they pull plenty of juice. As they heat up, they need less power then your stock bulbs and as a result your vehicle thinks the lights out and shuts off power to the area.

That's also why it works when the car is off because the ECU is not checking for errors at that time.

You need error free canbus HID kits.

Generic ones will not work, error cancellors may or may not work. (That depends on the quality of the kit).

You can also have the vehicle coded so they do not error out.

We are offer coding or Error free HID kits if you are interested.
Bulb check occurs when switching ignition. The cold check occurs as soon as ignition is switched. Warm check is done periodically with ignition switched. It's very easy to see this behavior with aftermarket LEDs. They will flicker with the bulb check and you can see that as soon as ignition is switched.

The HID kit is not working due to PWM as I have explained above.....
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 01:48 PM   #10
vponn1106
Registered
Rep

[QUOTE=matteblue3er;19579709]The car needs to be coded for xenons.

The reason why your HIDs work ok with the motor off, is because PWM is not enabled.

With the motor on, alternator voltage takes over and raises voltage above 12v. PWM is used to step down alternator voltage. For halogen fixtures, voltage is often dropped below 12v to extend bulb life and control brightness.

Code the car for xenons/remove PWM manipulation and you don't need to worry about any of this "CANBUS" crap....

To remove PWM manipulation for fixtures other than the main beam headlamps, you need to force code the car via nettodat coding. Most HID ballasts require a minimum input voltage of 8v. So any voltage above that should be ok. They often operate up to 18v so there is no concern of raising voltage to high in regards to protecting the ballast from over-voltage. However the wiring may not be handle voltages above 13v.

How do I erase the coding?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 01:57 PM   #11
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep

Quote:
How do I erase the coding?
You don't erase the coding. You edit it.

You need NCS Expert. Search the forums/Google. Tons of info out there...
Appreciate 0