F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Are runflat tyres without tpms dangerous?
proTUNING Freaks

03-11-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
snipnoob86
Major
Rep
Drives: 335D Saloon

Are runflat tyres without tpms dangerous?

So, i have just been doing some readin and i came across an interesting story.

A lady had RFT's fitted to her car and made generally short journeys. she had a badly damaged tyre, the entire inside edge was blown out and she was only made aware while her car was in for service. The length of time it was damaged for is unknown.

Ok, woman driver gaggs, how the hell did she not know. but the fact remains she did not and the car was unable to warn her due to no TPMS.

thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #2
Chompers
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d MSport (M) BS /CR

RFT's have been on BMW's for ages. TPMS is a relatively new addition in terms of giving the tyre pressure at each corner, when a +/-0.2 bar difference between tyres on the same axle is noted by the TPMS an amber warning is given.

I will hold my hands up here and now and admit that I suffered the same fate as the woman you mention. The inside edge on one of my rears on my e61 was run down so low that it wires were visible it was shear luck that I found it in this condition, and only because the kids ball went under the car. From that day on I have always checked the rear inside on a regular basis.

Gone: F31 320d MSport BS /CR, E61 520d MSport Bus Ed, E53 X5 V8 Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
Peter-K
Private
Rep
Drives: 220d M Sport

TMPS reports tyre pressure problems. Cars with run flats compare the rotation speeds of each wheel and throw up a dash warning - cross section of a tyre with an exclamation mark. A flat tyre has in effect a smaller diameter so will turn faster.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 02:27 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Users are not supposed to fit run-flat tyres to vehicles without TPMS/TPWS.

With the older TPWS (indirect 'warning' system using wheel speed sensors) users are still prone to tyre issues if the system is not reset at pressure changes, or tyre pressures not regularly checked. All tyres can reduce pressure and there is no warning, plus there can be up to a 30% pressure drop before the warning bong sounds, with the indirect TPWS. TPWS can only really warn of a puncture, not slight drops in pressure which can contribute to severe tyre wear.

Still no substitute for regularly checking pressures and tyre condition.

TPMS with the more sensitive individual pressure ratings, (whether displayed on screen or not), is a much more accurate 'monitoring' system.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 02:29 PM   #5
Ham1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/a

I think it's compulsory to have TPWS on new cars, to prevent that from happening.
Appreciate 0