E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > BPC StageII - California 335d

03-10-2016, 10:27 PM   #1
SwaggyP
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D w/ JBD 75%

BPC StageII - California 335d

Hi All,

I am a California resident and I want to install the BPS stageII DPF/EGR delete but California makes this difficult.

Can this be done and pass California SMOG? I know their website says for complete offroad use but that doesn't mean it wont pass! Feel free to send me a personal message if you dont feel comfortable posting to the public.

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
natefank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Well you need the EGR and DPF to pass CA smog, so unless u find a shady mechanic that you can pay off it will not pass
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 07:07 AM   #3
rulonger
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d E90 & 2010 328i E91

QUIKDZL got a tune with all hardware intact. That may be a starting point for comparison.
      03-11-2016, 08:32 AM   #4
GaryE30
COAL FED
Rep
Drives: 335d, M3, X5

See his thread here

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1233876
      03-11-2016, 08:55 AM   #5
Mrdeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport

I am a california resident. I just know a guy who does smogs for all of my car buddies.
It just does not pass visual. And seeing that these cars are rare and techs are generally not schooled on diesel anyways. The DPF isn't exactly easy to see on the D. I don't think it is going to be hard to get a visual pass.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 10:15 AM   #6
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

CA has been rolling out a new system called Data Acquisition Device (DAD) for smog testing year 2000 and newer cars. They technically started to use it last year but it hadnt really gone into full effect until this year. It reads the actual operating parameters of the computer when plugged in and compares them to known legal and correct parameters for that engine. Tuned diesel trucks WITH the DPF and all other smog items intact are beginning to fail this new test even though all monitors are set and they pass the visual. In all honesty, due to this new system if you live in an area of CA where you have to get smog tested I wouldnt get any flash tune, and I definitely wouldnt get a tune with deletes. The only thing holding this system back from detecting ALL flash tunes is that the system doesnt have enough data to be able to adequately analyze all vehicle. Assuming they dont have the 335d parameters yet (I have no idea, they might already have them or they might not) you might be ok for a couple years but its going to come to an end soon. Your best bet is to get a good stage 2 flash with EGR turned off but all the hardware still in and duplicate the DDE so you can swap back at smog time. The other option is to go for the full monte and just swap back every 2 years for testing.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #7
QUIKDZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

I would think that the Clean Stage 2 Tune BPC did for me would pass California inspection. Maybe Bob can chime in?
      03-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #8
Mrdeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport

Hooper, you are passing on incorrect information.
Smog machines cannot find tunes. All they see are set monitors and check engine lights.
If you pass visual on a tuned car you are fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 10:04 AM   #9
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdeezy View Post
Hooper, you are passing on incorrect information.
Smog machines cannot find tunes. All they see are set monitors and check engine lights.
If you pass visual on a tuned car you are fine.
The new system compares the actual parameters of the operating vehicle to a database of information. Just passing a visual is not going to do it once the database has the information they need for the comparison. Having a diesel pass that passes visual and has monitors set is soon to be a thing of the past, and it already is for some vehicles. Obviously with the right tune you could still pass, but they would have to make sure to not change the factory tune much for the parameters the test looks for, which EGR is likely to be one, DEF injection likely to be one, and having the right monitors set is likely to be one. There was a post in the other thread that said the monitors mostly all get changed to unavailable in the tune (with deletes) which any competent tech or the DAD system will flag as BS immediately.

Here is what some smog shop owners have said on other forums about the new system:

Quote:
Have you had a Smog check since the new test started. My machine has caught several trucks with a modified ECM.
Quote:
You really need to put it back to stock and be warned, "Stock" maps from your tuning chip may not be the "stock" maps from Ford, and the OBD machine may recognize the non-standard programming. Even in cars that have been programmed with the hypertech or diablosport or whatever removable tuners the machine will often know its been tampered with and will fail the test.

Last edited by Hoooper; 03-14-2016 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #10
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

I guess you guys in Cali are F!&8% on this to bad to hear this
Appreciate 0