THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Why no KW HAS for M235i

03-09-2016, 06:35 AM   #1
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Why no KW HAS for M235i

I think F8x HAS from KW is smart upgrade designed to compliment OE adaptive dampers.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1235270

If KW have designed OE M2 coilovers - how hard can it be for them to tweak spring rates to come up with a HAS for M235i ?

Or am I missing something ?
      03-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #2
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
I think F8x HAS from KW is smart upgrade designed to compliment OE adaptive dampers.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1235270

If KW have designed OE M2 coilovers - how hard can it be for them to tweak spring rates to come up with a HAS for M235i ?

Or am I missing something ?
Yep: The M2 does not have adaptive suspension, and the M235i does. Manual, mechanical height adjustment on the springs would wreak havoc on the adaptive system. Not gonna be an option.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 02:39 AM   #3
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Manual, mechanical height adjustment on the springs would wreak havoc on the adaptive system. Not gonna be an option.
Mike

I know M2 has a passive setup but M235i [and M135i outside USA] have adaptive.

Your logic quoted above is flawed IMHO given that F8x M3/M4 has OE adaptive damping and KW HAS seems to work really with it.

Hence my Q why no KW HAS for M235i with adaptive..I would fit it to my adaptive damped car.

BP
      03-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #4
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Mike

I know M2 has a passive setup but M235i [and M135i outside USA] have adaptive.

Your logic quoted above is flawed IMHO given that F8x M3/M4 has OE adaptive damping and KW HAS seems to work really with it.

Hence my Q why no KW HAS for M235i with adaptive..I would fit it to my adaptive damped car.

BP
The suspensions of the M235i and the M3 and M4 use different components, different rates, and different geometries and are thus not compatible. (Example: the lower control arms. Some have retrofitted those from the M3 to the M235i for track use, but it moves the wheel forward a full inch and adds significant camber. I personally wouldn't do that kind of mod without a camber plate and spring and damper swap at a minimum because an inch is a hell of a lot of difference).

Your comment to 'tweak' the existing HAS for the M235i may very well be possible by KW. But now that the M2 is out, it's probably not a priority for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Some have retrofitted those from the M3 to the M235i for track use, but it moves the wheel forward a full inch and adds significant camber. I personally wouldn't do that kind of mod without a camber plate and spring and damper swap at a minimum because an inch is a hell of a lot of difference).
I was one of the first adopters here in the UK of F8x M3/M4 LCA upgrade on my m135i.

Based on mine and other early adopters feedback, many others have followed suit and not looked back. So, whilst I respect your point of view, don't knock it until you have tried it - its a superb OE upgrade, even for a stock car.

The ~ 15mm longer LCA moves the wheel fwd ~ 1/2 inch and castor and camber is increased with very positive results on steering feel / directness and increased longevity of the soft outer shoulder of std fit Mich PSS.

My car runs ~ -2deg camber and runs straight and true as both a DD and on trackdays. Other upgrades incl LSD, upgraded springs and ARB's.

If you are nearby I'd gladly take you for a blast in it.

Going back to HAS, F2x OE adaptive dampers do respond well to some upgraded springs hence why I think KW are missing a big opportunity - HAS for Mx35i - come KW get it done !!!