E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > I-Drive worth it?

03-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
neenjafus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe ordered 3/14/08!

I-Drive worth it?

Hey Guys,

I'm considering buying my first BMW here in a few weeks and I'm really curious about the I-Drive.

First: I have heard and read many negative things about the controls of the I-Drive system. How difficult is it for someone with a good basic understanding of computers and electronics to learn to use the system?

Second: This thing is $2,000 and I have seen small, peripheral navigation systems for $200. What do I really get for that extra $1,800? I believe I can even get navigation on my cell phone which will get me to where I need to go!

Third: I am in outside sales and will be taking a new job soon. This means I will have to learn a new territory and learn where all of my accounts are (about 150 accounts total in a 2-3 hour driving radius if that helps) I am mostly looking for the navigation system to help with this. About 99% of my accounts are hospitals so I really like that I can simply search for local hospitals and find the specific one that I am looking for to get my directions. With that in mind, will one of the cheaper navigation systems do the same thing for me? (similar to question two with more detail

Fourth: For those of you who have it and maybe even have tried one of the cheaper units, do you think that the I-Drive is worth the extra cost?

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
For an outside sale this is a must requirement you won't regret it, if cost is not an object get the premeium package so you can pair the phone with blue tooth.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 12:10 AM   #3
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
YES... You will regret it later because you won't be able to add it on.

Yes, graphical view of a bluetooth phone that is compatible... View of your iPod. With your navi, real time traffic if the radio stations broadcast in your area. Ability to see check-engine messages and warning messages. Just a few things to name...
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 12:22 AM   #4
Amir87
Gruppe Titan
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 SG/Coral

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92phreak View Post
YES... You will regret it later because you won't be able to add it on.

Yes, graphical view of a bluetooth phone that is compatible... View of your iPod. With your navi, real time traffic if the radio stations broadcast in your area. Ability to see check-engine messages and warning messages. Just a few things to name...
+1

I would never buy a BMW without I-Drive.
      03-05-2008, 04:08 AM   #5
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neenjafus View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm considering buying my first BMW here in a few weeks and I'm really curious about the I-Drive.

Thanks!!!
First: I have heard and read many negative things about the controls of the I-Drive system. How difficult is it for someone with a good basic understanding of computers and electronics to learn to use the system?

15-30 minutes to get the hang of it. 2 hours of fiddling around on the freeway and you are good to go. You will completely master the iDrive and all its functions in at most month from random boredom when you wait in the car for whatever reason. Especially on Post March 2007 production vehicles, the iDrive knob is much easier to handle. There is no more annoying and frustrating haptic feedback.

Second: This thing is $2,000 and I have seen small, peripheral navigation systems for $200. What do I really get for that extra $1,800? I believe I can even get navigation on my cell phone which will get me to where I need to go!

With navigation you will get iDrive. I had only navigation and steptronic on my base model car. All though it was not intended, everyone thought I had premium package from just my navigation. This is the one option that is highly implausible to retrofit. As noted by others, if you are even considering this option, you WILL regret not purchasing it as long as your peruse this forum--you will just want it more and more. I would also recommend bluetooth for $750 and homelink (you can retrofit that later easily). I don't care for leather seats, lumbar support, or folding mirrors otherwise I would have just suggested you get the premium package.

Third: I am in outside sales and will be taking a new job soon. This means I will have to learn a new territory and learn where all of my accounts are (about 150 accounts total in a 2-3 hour driving radius if that helps) I am mostly looking for the navigation system to help with this. About 99% of my accounts are hospitals so I really like that I can simply search for local hospitals and find the specific one that I am looking for to get my directions. With that in mind, will one of the cheaper navigation systems do the same thing for me? (similar to question two with more detail)

I am not familiar with after market units, sorry. However, I would recommend that you test drive a car with navigation. Why?--you cannot search by name on this navigation. You can on a unit 1/10th it's price. My Magellan could .. But yeah, for iDrive navigation you have to know specifically the category under which hospitals are listed. I still can't manage to find a damn Autozone or Pep Boys through iDrive So if what you want is not categorized within the iDrive navigation you are SOL

So just make sure the iDrive can quickly locate what you want. I *think* after you do a search for a particular item, it will appear as POI icons on your map. After I search for ATMs, "$" signs appeared on my navigation window. I then searched for gas stations, and the "$" were replaced with gas station icons.

E.G. If you are already in your area/or not: iDrive Menu --> Navigation --> On Location/On Destination --> Emergency and Public Places --> Hospitals --> Search Radius 25 miles
(based on memory, if I am slightly wrong, forgive me)

It will then list appropriately all the hospitals in your area within a 25 mile radius with the closest first. If you have bluetooth, the phone numbers displayed can be called with a push of a button.

Fourth: For those of you who have it and maybe even have tried one of the cheaper units, do you think that the I-Drive is worth the extra cost?

Well I really care about the flow of things. OEM Display > portable unit with wires dangling, even at $2100 vs $200. Some people have integrated some Garmin displays (I think?) for the e90. Check the DIY section for integrated aftermarket displays.

I had some type of Magellan GPS in my household's Jeep. It works wonderfully; in fact I think the timing is a little better than my iDrive navigation. It is still an eyesore. It was touchscreen which was nice, but I am very anal and I hated the finger prints.

I rationalized my purchase three fold:

1. OEM Appearance, looks clean.
2. Not just navigation, you get iDrive-control climate, entertainment, bluetooth, navigation.
3. You car can look very well optioned from just this one option

Last edited by AoshichanX; 03-05-2008 at 04:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

if you are unsure then don't get it, but I am sure you will regret it later.
      03-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
Vickyy
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 AW 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
if you think you want it, you should get it. like e92phreak said.. idrive is an option that cannot be retrofited or add later on if you wanted it.

i am someone that doesn't know crap about electronics or computers, you dont have to be an expert to control an idrive. you will get used to it quickly.
      03-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #8
zamboni
United_States
Rep

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Not to mention # 1 stolen item on new car is portable nav unit.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #9
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I got the I-Drive just for the stop watch feature for track days. I use that more than the nav.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
sandyeggo325i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 | 09 Accord V6 EXL

it's weird...

at first i regret not getting nav on my wife's mdx...so i got the nav on my bimmer and i hardly use it ever...i'm just a tech freak and like gadgets. i think the nav interior looks better than non nav...so i'd get it.

also, i think it's easier to regret NOT getting it than to regret having it. did that even make sense???
      03-06-2008, 12:19 PM   #11
zamboni
United_States
Rep

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
You really confused him even more.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 12:22 PM   #12
sandyeggo325i
Captain
United_States
Rep

basically...moral of the story is...

you don't regret things you've done, but you always regret things you HAVEN'T done...

in this case buy Nav vs. not buy Nav
      03-06-2008, 03:17 PM   #13
rebirth24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
You really confused him even more.
Well to me its kinda like a condom ... you'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it ...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 10:38 PM   #14
sandyeggo325i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebirth24 View Post
Well to me its kinda like a condom ... you'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it ...
since you're in san diego maybe this rings a bell...

"it's better to know me and not need me, than to need me and not know me" -king stahlman bail bonds
      03-06-2008, 10:45 PM   #15
rebirth24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyeggo325i View Post
since you're in san diego maybe this rings a bell...

"it's better to know me and not need me, than to need me and not know me" -king stahlman bail bonds
Hah! I like that one better ... more family friendly!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 11:53 PM   #16
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoshichanX View Post

15-30 minutes to get the hang of it. 2 hours of fiddling around on the freeway and you are good to go. You will completely master the iDrive and all its functions in at most month from random boredom when you wait in the car for whatever reason. Especially on Post March 2007 production vehicles, the iDrive knob is much easier to handle. There is no more annoying and frustrating haptic feedback.

With navigation you will get iDrive. I had only navigation and steptronic on my base model car. All though it was not intended, everyone thought I had premium package from just my navigation. This is the one option that is highly implausible to retrofit. As noted by others, if you are even considering this option, you WILL regret not purchasing it as long as your peruse this forum--you will just want it more and more. I would also recommend bluetooth for $750 and homelink (you can retrofit that later easily). I don't care for leather seats, lumbar support, or folding mirrors otherwise I would have just suggested you get the premium package.

Third: I am in outside sales and will be taking a new job soon. This means I will have to learn a new territory and learn where all of my accounts are (about 150 accounts total in a 2-3 hour driving radius if that helps) I am mostly looking for the navigation system to help with this. About 99% of my accounts are hospitals so I really like that I can simply search for local hospitals and find the specific one that I am looking for to get my directions. With that in mind, will one of the cheaper navigation systems do the same thing for me? (similar to question two with more detail)

I am not familiar with after market units, sorry. However, I would recommend that you test drive a car with navigation. Why?--you cannot search by name on this navigation. You can on a unit 1/10th it's price. My Magellan could .. But yeah, for iDrive navigation you have to know specifically the category under which hospitals are listed. I still can't manage to find a damn Autozone or Pep Boys through iDrive So if what you want is not categorized within the iDrive navigation you are SOL

So just make sure the iDrive can quickly locate what you want. I *think* after you do a search for a particular item, it will appear as POI icons on your map. After I search for ATMs, "$" signs appeared on my navigation window. I then searched for gas stations, and the "$" were replaced with gas station icons.

E.G. If you are already in your area/or not: iDrive Menu --> Navigation --> On Location/On Destination --> Emergency and Public Places --> Hospitals --> Search Radius 25 miles
(based on memory, if I am slightly wrong, forgive me)

It will then list appropriately all the hospitals in your area within a 25 mile radius with the closest first. If you have bluetooth, the phone numbers displayed can be called with a push of a button.

Well I really care about the flow of things. OEM Display > portable unit with wires dangling, even at $2100 vs $200. Some people have integrated some Garmin displays (I think?) for the e90. Check the DIY section for integrated aftermarket displays.

I had some type of Magellan GPS in my household's Jeep. It works wonderfully; in fact I think the timing is a little better than my iDrive navigation. It is still an eyesore. It was touchscreen which was nice, but I am very anal and I hated the finger prints.

I rationalized my purchase three fold:

1. OEM Appearance, looks clean.
2. Not just navigation, you get iDrive-control climate, entertainment, bluetooth, navigation.
3. You car can look very well optioned from just this one option
Your rationale was the same as mine when I decided to spring for it.
I didn't want the wires dangling and the hassle of removing and setting up the system every time I got in my car.

You buy the navigation, you're getting an entire system, not just navigation. You can control your car options from the idrive screen like whether or not unlocking the door will unlock your door or all doors.

And I do like the little hump (yeah I know some don't). Some people go as far as to replace their entire dash to get that hump.

You really don't need navigation all the time, but when you do need it, it's there at your finger tips. And let me tell ya, having the bluetooth integrated into the "navigation" is nice! You can scroll through your entire phone book through the idrive system. Also, if you have the ipod integration or just mp3 dvds or cd's, the content of the media will show up on the idrive screen. How cool is that?

Gary
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 08:54 AM   #17
JSH
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

I love the I-Drive Nav system. In my leased E90 330i(that I just handed back) I had it and in 2 years I never used a paper map, including interstate road trips.

And I get really annoyed with all the people that say it's too hard to use. I usually just say back to them.... Well if I-Drive is so bad, then why does the hottest selling MP3 player on the planet use the same basic control system?

My 08 335i will also have I-drive nav system. Can't live without it.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 05:50 AM   #18
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
get it. I wouldn't go without.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #19
gtrokin330
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: TT

to be 100% honest with you, for the most part i bought my car with idrive/nav because the interior looks so ugly without it. I know.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #20
i8_it
Feeling Blue.
United_States
Rep
Drives: I12 i8,f10 M5,e89 IS,F1 6S35i

Garage List
2008 E93 M3  [5.36]
are you being serious? BUY IT... the looks, the features, everything... it is just a necessity for any car I would buy.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #21
xpillzboyx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 328i

get it a bmw is not a bmw without idrive and angel eyes!!!
|AW E90|Blacklines|Black and White Roundels|LUX 5.0|LED Front Turn Signals|LED Sidemarkers|Silver CF Overlays|Black 328 Emblem|Black Grill|LED Interior|15% Tints|19" Hyper Silver Maya STM's|Black Roof|
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #22
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I-Drive worth it?

Yup.
Appreciate 0