E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > SCR Delete, EGR Block, keep DPF?

03-05-2016, 07:23 AM   #1
NWCT335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

SCR Delete, EGR Block, keep DPF?

I am just clearing 100,000 miles in the next week or two on my 2011 335d. The car just had its final oil change service, fuel filter, etc. under extended maintenance and I am considering what to do for the future.

I live in CT, which has emissions testing every 2 years, but no sniffer, only visual and code readiness check.

I already have the EGR block off plates that I purchased a while back but have not yet installed. I am planning on getting a carbon cleaning done prior to do any sort of "work" on the engine/emissions system, so I'd be starting with a theoretical clean slate. Outside of blocking the EGR to remove future CBU risk, my other main concern is the SCR system when out of warranty. It seems that there are just too many things that can, and do, go wrong with it, and they are all $$$.

What I would ideally like to do is install the EGR block plates, deactivate/remove the SCR, but keep the DPF. I dont want to be blowing smoke out of the exhaust, hence keeping the DPF and some level of the emissions system.

- Will any of the tuning companies out there support this?
- Is there a down-side, other than not getting as much power out of a tune, to keeping the DPF?
- What are the options for removing or deactivating SCR? I'd love to keep it as stock looking as possible for visual inspection purposes.

My main goal here is to keep the car going strong for as long as possible. I am not as concerned about making tons of power (not that I would complain about more power).

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 07:35 AM   #2
Lexx.md
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCT335d View Post
I am just clearing 100,000 miles in the next week or two on my 2011 335d. The car just had its final oil change service, fuel filter, etc. under extended maintenance and I am considering what to do for the future.

I live in CT, which has emissions testing every 2 years, but no sniffer, only visual and code readiness check.

I already have the EGR block off plates that I purchased a while back but have not yet installed. I am planning on getting a carbon cleaning done prior to do any sort of "work" on the engine/emissions system, so I'd be starting with a theoretical clean slate. Outside of blocking the EGR to remove future CBU risk, my other main concern is the SCR system when out of warranty. It seems that there are just too many things that can, and do, go wrong with it, and they are all $$$.

What I would ideally like to do is install the EGR block plates, deactivate/remove the SCR, but keep the DPF. I dont want to be blowing smoke out of the exhaust, hence keeping the DPF and some level of the emissions system.

- Is there a down-side, other than not getting as much power out of a tune, to keeping the DPF?
- What are the options for removing or deactivating SCR? I'd love to keep it as stock looking as possible for visual inspection purposes.

My main goal here is to keep the car going strong for as long as possible. I am not as concerned about making tons of power (not that I would complain about more power).

Hi, neighbour
I strongly believe that the CBU issue is not caused just only by EGR, my personal opinion is that the root cause is CCV valve, which requires a Catch Can, and it is aggravated by EGR.
If the intake will be clean and dry the soot will just burn out.
You can see that CBU problem exist on 335i and even some lexus and etc, where the oil condensates on valves

About DPF, i was thinking to keep it also, as i am not concerned about to be super fast or powerful, but asking some european friends it sounds that at some point you will have to clean\wash or even replace dpf filter, in US the Diesel fuel is not the best quality so it might be even sooner.

So i have decided to go all the way with deletes.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 08:32 AM   #3
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexx.md
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCT335d View Post

Hi, neighbour
I strongly believe that the CBU issue is not caused just only by EGR, my personal opinion is that the root cause is CCV valve, which requires a Catch Can, and it is aggravated by EGR.
If the intake will be clean and dry the soot will just burn out.
You can see that CBU problem exist on 335i and even some lexus and etc, where the oil condensates on valves

About DPF, i was thinking to keep it also, as i am not concerned about to be super fast or powerful, but asking some european friends it sounds that at some point you will have to clean\wash or even replace dpf filter, in US the Diesel fuel is not the best quality so it might be even sooner.

So i have decided to go all the way with deletes.
for a variety of reasons I will not go into related to the California Air Resources Board... I too have been toying around with the idea of getting rid of the DPF filter. I know there are lots of folks that have had significant performance gains from removing the DPF filter. however last night I drove from San Francisco to LA with my tuning box, water methanol system and all of my emissions equipment intact save for a blocked EGR. my average speed was probably 88 to 130 mph (destroyed an S version Audi) thanks to the good people at Waze. I gotta tell you there were very few cars that's good give me a run for the money going down highway 5.

I am personally daunted by unplugging all of the crap that is connected to our emission system but too many people have done it with great success so it is clearly doable and provides significant performance gains. living out in California I have no idea who I could could go to to do a full alphabet delete. I just don't think there are many shops on the west coast that do this kind of work given the insane emissions bureaucracy.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 08:34 AM   #4
mefferso
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

You can ask a tuner directly in this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1231140
      03-05-2016, 10:52 AM   #5
QUIKDZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

I just picked up my car from BPC where Bob did a custom tune for me. I think it will be very popular. As others have mentioned, it takes a combination of CCV and EGR to create the dreaded CBU. Not yet having experienced any CBU-related issues, my goal was to prevent them. So I added an oil catch can to the CCV line and a water/meth injection system. I asked Bob to tune my car so that the EGR valve worked as designed by BMW until coolant temperature reached about 150 degrees, then keep it closed electronically. The DPF and SCR are to remain because I do not want a smoky, smelly car.

This way, the car retains it quick warm-up capability and gives me a big power boost. The results are amazing. I'm getting 348 hp and 501 ft-lb at the wheels. Throttle response is now as it should be. The torque curve has an upward slant to it that you really feel--acceleration is strong, but intensifies as speed picks up. Big bonus--I seem to be getting about 15% better fuel economy! My trip home was with the cruise control set on 75 and I got 48 mpg!

I'll start a new thread tonight to post the graph and some photos.
      03-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #6
NWCT335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefferso View Post
You can ask a tuner directly in this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1231140
Perfect! Thank you!
Appreciate 0