E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Traction Control Warning Light

02-22-2016, 05:14 AM   #1
swain90
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90

Traction Control Warning Light

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place to post, so please move if necessary.

Just to give a bit of back story I had my turbo and glow plug/controller replaced about 2 weeks ago. A few days after getting the car back to me the traction control warning light appear on the dash.

Once I got home, I turned the car on and off and the warning disappeared.

Couple of days later it reappeared, same again turned the car on and off and it vanished. However about 2 minutes later it came back on along with the ABS light and the car lost all power for a split second then came back.

I took it to my local garage who ran some quick diagnostic checks. They reported that the Traction Control unit was receiving 18v when the alternator only kicks out 14v. They mentioned some bits from the previous times It had popped up but I've forgotten what was mentioned. They cleared the faults and it was fine for a few more days.

Over the weekend the DTC warning light came on again, however this time I decided to have a look myself and fired up INPA. Below is a screenshot of what INPA found.

From what I've read online about that fault code is for the steering column switches.

Is anyone able to give me any pointers as to what could be at fault. I do a lot of motorway driving and could do without the loss of power, and I can definitely do without another huge repair bill!

Update: 26/2/16

Warning light has come on a few times today. Done another read out with INPA again. Attached is the PDF readout. If anyone could advise that'd be great!

Cheers

Swain90
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA-PrintFile - na_fs.pdf (38.4 KB, 395 views)

Last edited by swain90; 02-26-2016 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 07:58 AM   #2
motoguy128
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

The repair and this fault shouldn't be related. I wonder if you can remove the cover on the steering column and at least check the electrical connector. Then check connectors in the engine bay. there could be one there that was disconnected for the repair and is a little loose.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
swain90
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
The repair and this fault shouldn't be related. I wonder if you can remove the cover on the steering column and at least check the electrical connector. Then check connectors in the engine bay. there could be one there that was disconnected for the repair and is a little loose.
Thanks for the reply. Would you be able to advise on where in the engine bay to check for the loose connection?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 10:03 AM   #4
swain90
United Kingdom
Rep

Bump!
Appreciate 0