BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Finally Saw the M2 in Person!

02-21-2016, 08:42 PM   #1
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
I won't bombard the thread with more LBB M2 photos. Just wanted to share my thoughts and a few pics of my favorite angles of the M2.

This was at the Chicago auto show and our friend Tag did a superb job of posting up phenomenal photos for us to enjoy so there is no need in me plastering pics everywhere.

My initial thoughts were I did not know if I like the car in all the spy shots and press photos. BUT I saw it in person and I was blown away! The car looks so awesome, so aggressive and everything you'd want from a small package.

I'm not a coupe person but I'd get this car. In all honesty I'd get it over an M3 and I said before I'd never get an M2! It was that cool to me. I hated the front bumper in photos, and seeing it was like WOOOW, it looks so good and not as busy as one would think.

There was a gray M3 directly behind it and it was very boring and bland compared to the M2. Perhaps BMW strategically did this as there was a dark blue 640i in front of the M2 and a gray M235i to its right. Surrounding the latest product in a vibrant color to make it stand out. Good strategy if so.

In the fluorescent lighting the LBB looked beautiful. This the color I'd opt for no doubt. Hopefully it looks as good outside in the real world lighting.

The 1st picture is my favorite angle of the car.

There were some bystanders and I overheard a lot of comments referring to the interior and how it looked cheap. I think they're missing the point of this entry level M car and these folks sounded to me like typical people that just drive the car because of the roundel on the hood. But whatever to each is own. The interior isn't the classiest or coolest and I can attest, my wife drives a 228 M sport. But again the FUN and Price factor on these cars is the key and BMW giving us something we have been asking for since the E46 days.

To you guys that are 2 short months away from delivery I congratulate you and you will not be disappointed!

I need to ED one of these
Attached Images

02-21-2016, 08:48 PM   #2
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Awesome write up. Thanks!
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2016, 09:14 PM   #3
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

Thanks !! The first time I'll see one, they'll hand me the keys.
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2016, 09:47 PM   #4
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedomn
Thanks !! The first time I'll see one, they'll hand me the keys.
No better way to get introduced to your new ride

Yeah you will seriously be happy with the choice you've made sir!

Which color did you choose?
      02-21-2016, 11:01 PM   #5
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Excellent write up!

I felt the exact same way when i saw it in person, can't wait to get mine in May!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 06:40 AM   #6
LDSM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

I had the same experience as you, wasn't too crazy about the looks of the M2 in pictures, but seeing it in person really changed my opinion, even LBB on the M2 looks perfect.

The one area I think that's lacking is the tail light design, makes the rear look a bit awkward, hopefully the LCI update will improve that.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 06:52 AM   #7
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

That's really great to hear. I already liked the spyshots, so I'm really looking forward to seeing the car in real life.

Sometimes pictures just absolutely don't do the car justice. In pictures, the 18" wheels just don't look right on an M3/4. But I saw a white M4 coupe with the OEM 18s, and the car looked so much better in person than in pictures.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 08:13 AM   #8
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Thanks for sharing! This blue literally looks different all the time. Lmao.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 10:25 AM   #9
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Nice.

Local BMW dealer had a white 1 M on the showroom when they first came out. Fell in love with it immediately and couldn't get eyes of it... A tech told me last week they've ordered an M2 so I'll pop over there as soon as they get it delivered. I have not had the opportunity to see one in person yet.
      02-22-2016, 01:12 PM   #10
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
No better way to get introduced to your new ride

Yeah you will seriously be happy with the choice you've made sir!

Which color did you choose?
Funny you should ask. Started with LBB, then went with BSM, then went back to LBB after Laguna Seca videos
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #11
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedomn View Post
Funny you should ask. Started with LBB, then went with BSM, then went back to LBB after Laguna Seca videos
That's the way to go. It'll look great next to your VO 1M. Launch colors ftw!
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #12
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Great to hear your thoughts and feedback - glad you got up to the big show in Chicago.

Also nice to see the Region represented. I went to Valpo, so I know CP and the square really well.
      02-22-2016, 02:11 PM   #13
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25
Great to hear your thoughts and feedback - glad you got up to the big show in Chicago.

Also nice to see the Region represented. I went to Valpo, so I know CP and the square really well.
Sadly I don't mean to sound like a pessimist but the Chicago Auto show has been getting weaker and weaker and more irrelevant. The ONLY reason I went to fight the crowds is to see the M2 and my wife and I got the F@@@ out of there. We were there less then an hour. Took more time to park and get in then that lol.

Yes I remember we chatted last year when you just picked up your M235i. Valpo and CP area are about the only places I can say are still nice pace and place to live.

I like you considered the Cayman 981. But honestly the boosted M cars are what you want for the street and every DD duty will be fulfilled. You can't go wrong with the M2.

Don't listen to people and the criticism how the rear looks incomplete or plain but listen to the soul of that car and the exhaust of the beautiful N55 sound. I love the S55 cars but they sound like my blender. Every car has a plethora of haters and that'll never change. At the end of the day I appreciate M. And I certainly appreciate this price point for the M2.
      02-22-2016, 02:14 PM   #14
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Sadly I don't mean to sound like a pessimist but the Chicago Auto show has been getting weaker and weaker and more irrelevant. The ONLY reason I went to fight the crowds is to see the M2 and my wife and I got the F@@@ out of there. We were there less then an hour. Took more time to park and get in then that lol.

Yes I remember we chatted last year when you just picked up your M235i. Valpo and CP area are about the only places I can say are still nice pace and place to live.

I like you considered the Cayman 981. But honestly the boosted M cars are what you want for the street and every DD duty will be fulfilled. You can't go wrong with the M2.

Don't listen to people and the criticism how the rear looks incomplete or plain but listen to the soul of that car and the exhaust of the beautiful N55 sound. I love the S55 cars but they sound like my blender. Every car has a plethora of haters and that'll never change. At the end of the day I appreciate M. And I certainly appreciate this price point for the M2.
Dammit, I am sorry - I am getting old and totally forgot.

Everyone I have talked to that has seen the car in person says that it looks great. One consistent comment has been that most of the pictures distort the angles because they're taken very close to the car. It looks great (apparently) when you step back from it. That sounds like a good thing to me.
      02-22-2016, 02:26 PM   #15
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Lucky that you saw an m2 in person!

I been on a wait list with deposit since July 2015 and I never seen an M2 yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 02:33 PM   #16
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25
Quote:

Dammit, I am sorry - I am getting old and totally forgot.

Everyone I have talked to that has seen the car in person says that it looks great. One consistent comment has been that most of the pictures distort the angles because they're taken very close to the car. It looks great (apparently) when you step back from it. That sounds like a good thing to me.
The distortion in photos is a perfect way to describe it. The car in the photos looks stubby and it's not.

To me is the profile sexier or more aggressive then the F82? No. I believe that the M4 has the most amazing classiest and gorgeous green houses ever made, right next to the 991!

But the M2 has the right size proportions. In fact to me the body or lines weren't the most aggressive to look at. It was the size of the cars sporting the massive rotors. As I walked up on the profile of it glancing at it for the 1st time it felt like the front rotor was going to give me an uppercut and the rear rotor was going to finish me off with a right hook it was that intimidating and in your face to look at because the cars shorter wheel base sort of forces you to look at it all and you immediately notice the rotors. As oppose to the M3/4 you sort of scan the car right to left and say wow those are actually pretty large.

Just pure coolness man. As you guys can tell I'm very excited about the car.
      02-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #17
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura
Lucky that you saw an m2 in person!

I been on a wait list with deposit since July 2015 and I never seen an M2 yet.
Shoooot lol you're the lucky one man! You'll own one in 60 days! Congrats.
      02-22-2016, 04:00 PM   #18
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

Friday I made the 3 hour drive from the Indy metroplex area thinking I would beat the crowds.

Everything went smoothly until I got to Lake Shore Dr. where the parking snarl finally hit. Fortunately, my GPS took me past everyone parking in the closer lots to the parking lot right off of Lake Michigan (think it was lot D), where there was a sea of parking spaces available.

Only issues were it was then a hoof 'n a half to get to the main Concourse, and the $23 (gulp) for parking.

I'm not in the market for an M2 as I am quite happy with my current slice of M heaven, but possibly in the market to replace the R32 and wanted to scope out the Focus ST & RS and VW GTI & R, plus it had been like 20 years since I last went to the Chi-town show which I think bills itself as the largest auto show in the world housing more than 1,000 vehicles. I walked around for 4 hours and scoped out almost everything, but can neither confirm or dispute that contention.

But I did spend a lot of time eyeballing the M2 since it's the new M kid on the block and overall I liked it.

It definitely looks better in-vivo than it presents using modern media and cyberspace.

Stuff I liked:

(1) Long Beach blue - the teal greenish tones in some of the pics concerned me, and that might actually play out under real life ambient conditions. I'd truly prefer a more proven blue such as Le Mans, but until another color of blue is offered (if ever) it's not a bad shade of blue.

(2) The front air curtain, aka Fangs - they actually integrate well into the front bumper so they aren't as pronounced as I originally surmised.

(3) The E46 like size - I'm one of those types that think smaller and lighter is the intersection where real SAG fun starts, and although like many wish the M2 were lighter, it's still the smallest tool in the shed. The 1 M and M2 are both scalpels in that regards, whereas the E92 & F82 are more blunt instruments.

(4) Protective film placed just forward of the lower rear quarterpanels - nice, practical idea as this is an area on the 1 M where stone chips seem to be problematic.

Now, as to those things I found a bit less appealing:

(1) The rear bumper - it doesn't integrate as well as I'd hoped with the rest of the vehicle. There's like a 3 stage transition going on from the end of the flared hips, to the scalloped part that begins around the tail lights, then finally to the rest of the rear bumper that houses the SAV like rear reflectors. Admittedly, it's a very interesting design aspect, but it's just a bit too busy in my humble opinion. Those infernal reflectors just seem to be at odds with the rest of the bumper.

(2) The black plastic M2 emblem on the front fenders - why bother? Just has a tacked on appearance.

(3) The I drive screen - would be better if it could be retracted into the dash when not wanted/needed (definitely not an M2 thing, but since I'm a minimalist would be even better if it were an ala carte option and not standard).

(4) Not a fan of the black 437 style wheels - not as heinous looking as I originally thought, but give them the silver finished version or even better the 359 CSL style wheels and I think it would transform the car visually.

I won't comment about the mirrors, other than to confirm, yes, the M2 has them and they are just as functional (albeit a heck of lot more pedestrian looking) as the bespoke ones on the M3 just behind it.

And even though I'm not in the market at this time I'd still like to score a test drive it if I can arrange it at the local dealer, if just to get a real comparison of the steering and handling between the two baby M's.

Bar that I'll have to live vicariously through you folks that will be blessed to have both the M2 and 1 M in the stable.

And since it's now the entry level M in the family I'll henceforth try not to be too critical of it.

I will say if they ever get the numbness of EPS worked out, and especially offer a M2 GC variant down the line all of the above sins will definitely be forgiven.
Attached Images

"Before You, Lord, We Bow" - Francis Scott Key
Appreciate 5
      02-22-2016, 04:19 PM   #19
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike
Friday I made the 3 hour drive from the Indy metroplex area thinking I would beat the crowds.

Everything went smoothly until I got to Lake Shore Dr. where the parking snarl finally hit. Fortunately, my GPS took me past everyone parking in the closer lots to the parking lot right off of Lake Michigan (think it was lot D), where there was a sea of parking spaces available.

Only issues were it was then a hoof 'n a half to get to the main Concourse, and the $23 (gulp) for parking.

I'm not in the market for an M2 as I am quite happy with my current slice of M heaven, but possibly in the market to replace the R32 and wanted to scope out the Focus ST & RS and VW GTI & R, plus it had been like 20 years since I last went to the Chi-town show which I think bills itself as the largest auto show in the world housing more than 1,000 vehicles. I walked around for 4 hours and scoped out almost everything, but can neither confirm or dispute that contention.

But I did spend a lot of time eyeballing the M2 since it's the new M kid on the block and overall I liked it.

It definitely looks better in-vivo than it presents using modern media and cyberspace.

Stuff I liked:

(1) Long Beach blue - the teal greenish tones in some of the pics concerned me, and that might actually play out under real life ambient conditions. I'd truly prefer a more proven blue such as Le Mans, but until another color of blue is offered (if ever) it's not a bad shade of blue.

(2) The front air curtain, aka Fangs - they actually integrate well into the front bumper so they aren't as pronounced as I originally surmised.

(3) The E46 like size - I'm one of those types that think smaller and lighter is the intersection where real SAG fun starts, and although like many wish the M2 were lighter, it's still the smallest tool in the shed. The 1 M and M2 are both scalpels in that regards, whereas the E92 & F82 are more blunt instruments.

(4) Protective film placed just forward of the lower rear quarterpanels - nice, practical idea as this is an area on the 1 M where stone chips seem to be problematic.

Now, as to those things I found a bit less appealing:

(1) The rear bumper - it doesn't integrate as well as I'd hoped with the rest of the vehicle. There's like a 3 stage transition going on from the end of the flared hips, to the scalloped part that begins around the tail lights, then finally to the rest of the rear bumper that houses the SAV like rear reflectors. Admittedly, it's a very interesting design aspect, but it's just a bit too busy in my humble opinion. Those infernal reflectors just seem to be at odds with the rest of the bumper.

(2) The black plastic M2 emblem on the front fenders - why bother? Just has a tacked on appearance.

(3) The I drive screen - would be better if it could be retracted into the dash when not wanted/needed (definitely not an M2 thing, but since I'm a minimalist would be even better if it were an ala carte option and not standard).

(4) Not a fan of the black 437 style wheels - not as heinous looking as I originally thought, but give them the silver finished version or even better the 359 CSL style wheels and I think it would transform the car visually.

I won't comment about the mirrors, other than to confirm, yes, the M2 has them and they are just as functional (albeit a heck of lot more pedestrian looking) as the bespoke ones on the M3 just behind it.

And even though I'm not in the market at this time I'd still like to score a test drive it if I can arrange it at the local dealer, if just to get a real comparison of the steering and handling between the two baby M's.

Bar that I'll have to live vicariously through you folks that will be blessed to have both the M2 and 1 M in the stable.

And since it's now the entry level M in the family I'll henceforth try not to be too critical of it.

I will say if they ever get the numbness of EPS worked out, and especially offer a M2 GC variant down the line all of the above sins will definitely be forgiven.
Nice summary. I agree on those reflectors, they're just very big and no reason for the size. I'd prefer silver or gunmetal wheels myself. But we shall see what BMW does if there's enough requests.

This car has its place now in the M lineup and will be here to stay. It can only get better.

Nice that you came up from Indy. Yeah parking was insane due to the construction at McCormick.
      02-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #20
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Those who have seen the car in person, what are your thoughts on the wheel gaps?

It seems like newer BMWs, M or not, are plagued by a larger than normal gap between the tire and fender. I saw a 328i E90 the other day that was obviously bone stock and there wasn't much of a gap at all.

Seems weird that an M car would need a drop - just curious what people thought...

PS - my 981 CS has 20' wheels AND needs a drop. No idea why this is the case.
      02-22-2016, 05:23 PM   #21
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Those who have seen the car in person, what are your thoughts on the wheel gaps?

It seems like newer BMWs, M or not, are plagued by a larger than normal gap between the tire and fender. I saw a 328i E90 the other day that was obviously bone stock and there wasn't much of a gap at all.

Seems weird that an M car would need a drop - just curious what people thought...

PS - my 981 CS has 20' wheels AND needs a drop. No idea why this is the case.
I'm honeslty afraid to drop my car, as it'll be my daily... One pot hole ruins my life.

Soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 05:38 PM   #22
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I saw the M2 at the Htown Auto Show and the wheel gap looked fine to me. Not once did i think the car needed a drop when drooling over it in person
Appreciate 0