E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Help choose a simple hardware/software for e90 pre-lci (not for coding)

02-21-2016, 09:33 AM   #1
WhiteBeard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: slowly

Help choose a simple hardware/software for e90 pre-lci (not for coding)

I don't need to code, but I need to read and clear CEL and other error codes, register batteries, would love to at least read most bmw specific sensors (not only basic ones) so I can know what to replace without going to a dealer - this is my main goal. I have laptop with serial port and XP.

To keep it simple - what hardware I need to buy and what software to get the job done? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 10:00 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

The search is your friend. I'll summarise for you...most popular first...

1. Software: BMW Standard Tools. Hardware: K+DCAN cable

Most powerful, windows based factory software with diagnostics, coding and programming. Can be challenging to learn for beginners.

Software free

2. Software: Carly (formerly BMWhat) app for IOS and android mobile phones. Hardware: Carly Bluetooth or Wifi OBD2 adapter.

Very easy to use. Quite powerful. Quick and simple interface. A lot of people recommend this.

3. Software: BMW ISTA-D (Rheingold) and BMW ISTA-P Hardware: BMW ICOM A2+B or K+DCAN cable.

Original BMW dealer tools.

Software free
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
WhiteBeard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
The search is your friend. I'll summarise for you...most popular first...

1. Software: BMW Standard Tools. Hardware: K+DCAN cable

Most powerful, windows based factory software with diagnostics, coding and programming. Can be challenging to learn for beginners.

Software free

2. Software: Carly (formerly BMWhat) app for IOS and android mobile phones. Hardware: Carly Bluetooth or Wifi OBD2 adapter.

Very easy to use. Quite powerful. Quick and simple interface. A lot of people recommend this.

P.S. If I could I would make your post sticky. No, really, I understand this may seem silly for advanced members, but I as a beginner can for sure appreciate this kind of short and concise answers instead of searching and reading tons of threads with thousands of different opinions and eventually ending up even more confused and frustrated. This is golden!

3. Software: BMW ISTA-D (Rheingold) and BMW ISTA-P Hardware: BMW ICOM A2+B or K+DCAN cable.

Original BMW dealer tools.

Software free
Thank you so much! This is so much easier now for me to proceed.

P.S. If this was a sticky - it would save tons of time for beginners. Simple and to the point.
Appreciate 0