THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums AUSTRALIA Powered Fuses -Please Help.. PROBLEM SOLVED

02-17-2016, 08:20 PM   #1
P8tor
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i - Glacier Silver

Powered Fuses -Please Help.. PROBLEM SOLVED

I'm about to install a dashcam (Thinkware F750 front and rear). I note that the M235i has a 'power shut down" after about 20 or 30 mins. Does this mean all power is shut off? Can anybody point me to a circuit and fuse number that remains powered after this 'shutdown'. The dashcam needs an accessory fuse/circuit (powered only when ignition is on) and a fuse/circuit that is powered all the time for the parking feature. The 'Thinkware' has a built in voltage sensor that will shut down the camera when the battery voltage reached a preset limit so not to drain the battery.

PROBLEM SOLVED.
USA forum user "lazee1" had the same drama and "sussed" out the solution: fuse numbers 147 & 150 in the 'trunk'. Thanks lazee1.

Last edited by P8tor; 02-21-2016 at 01:32 AM.. Reason: No response
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 07:52 AM   #2
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

I'm not familiar with the fuse box position on the 2 series but i want to do what you've just done when mine arrives, are you saying that the only fuse you can use is actually located in the boot?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 03:55 PM   #3
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BSM M2C

All the E series have both fuses avail in the glove box. Be surprised if the Fs didn't as well. Certainly makes for an easier install.

You can always check with a multimeter. Lock the car and wait 15mins and check which one is still powered.

2020 MY21 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | Black Sapphire
OLD 2010 BMW 135i M Sport 6MT | Le Mans Blue
2016 BMW F15 X5 30D | Sapphire Black | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 06:10 PM   #4
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Fuse box is in the trunk and under the hood in the right hand corner near the windshield (right side if you're sitting the car left if you're facing the engine bay).

I wired my dash cam to #147 in the trunk because there was no Fuse box behind the glove box and I didn't want to go through the firewall.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2016, 07:53 PM   #5
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Fuse box is in the trunk and under the hood in the right hand corner near the windshield (right side if you're sitting the car left if you're facing the engine bay).

I wired my dash cam to #147 in the trunk because there was no Fuse box behind the glove box and I didn't want to go through the firewall.
That's a pain in the arse then, i wanted to hard wire my dashcam & Radar Detector, means i have to run wires for both all the way to the boot, i don't fancy going through the firewall either.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2016, 08:04 PM   #6
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy 72
Quote:

That's a pain in the arse then, i wanted to hard wire my dashcam & Radar Detector, means i have to run wires for both all the way to the boot, i don't fancy going through the firewall either.
It's not too bad actually. Get yourself a Magic Pro from Amazon for your dash cam. I did that setup and only took me an hour to route the dash cam cable to back of the car, then connect the Magic Pro to fuse 147. The cam will go on/off as you turn on and off the car. you'll need a fuse tap - few dollars.

For your radar detector get a Mirrortap wire and you can get power from your mirror to the detector. I have a Beltronics STI Magnum and works great! That took less than 15 mins to hook up.

Best part is you'll have no wires dangling from the windshield to any lighter sockets!
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 10:45 PM   #7
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
It's not too bad actually. Get yourself a Magic Pro from Amazon for your dash cam. I did that setup and only took me an hour to route the dash cam cable to back of the car, then connect the Magic Pro to fuse 147. The cam will go on/off as you turn on and off the car. you'll need a fuse tap - few dollars.

For your radar detector get a Mirrortap wire and you can get power from your mirror to the detector. I have a Beltronics STI Magnum and works great! That took less than 15 mins to hook up.

Best part is you'll have no wires dangling from the windshield to any lighter sockets!
Thanks, am using the magic pro in my current camera setup.
Hopefully the M2 will use the same fuse layout so i can use #147.

Can you give me more info on the mirrortap wire please, what exactly on the mirror uses power for you to tap into?
Appreciate 0