F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > JB4 vs Active 8 -Tunes
proTUNING Freaks

02-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #1
F80Boost
Banned
Rep
Drives: Beater

JB4 vs Active 8 -Tunes

I know both tunes are piggy backs, and both tunes connect to sensors to trick the computer to change variables.

I dont need a lengthy argument for which tune is better etc, or what each tune gives for power. I'd just like to know what parameters are changed with each tune & why ? reason im asking is, i think i saw that the Active 8 tune changes the cam position sensor.....

example - JB4 - map, maf etc....
Active 8 - Maf, cam sensor, etc....

if you can tell me which sensors are "tricked", and why.
basically , wondering if both tunes achieve same thing, but different ways, or do they both use same exact sensors ?

im guessing they change, fuel,boost,timing....standard shit,lol.
thanks

Last edited by F80Boost; 02-17-2016 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 04:56 PM   #2
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

The JB4 connects to the MAP, TMAP, MASS Fuel, and Electronic waste gate (optional) and Pneumatic waste gate (depends on car model year) and hooks up to the onboard CAN system where it has access to all engine parameters and real time data. It uses this to adjust and monitor safety. Its probably the most advanced tune on the market in terms of access to data and tuning capability.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 04:56 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Happy to help

I created a thread comparing different tunes available in the market,
Please read it and let me know if it was helpful
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1171119

Let me start by saying both tune make power by increasing boost.

They can both increase boost by RPM for a smooth power delivery and both offer a number of maps.

Main difference between the 2 is that Jb4 has access to the Canbus, AA does not.

Access to the Canbus offers features like dataloggin, code reading deleting, etc....

Sensors
JB4 MAP, TMAP, Canbus(OBD), Flex fuel, boost solenoid(pneumatic cars only), wastegates (optional)
AA MAP, TMAP, CAM

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #4
F80Boost
Banned
Rep

Ok, thanks guys, Mikes again!!!

I didnt know the JB4 increased boost by rpm!!!

So if I get the JB4....

1. Do I have control over the boost at all ? Can I change settings for more or less boost ? And if yes, can I change boost levels to set boost across entire rpm, vs rpm based boost ?

2. What parameters can be adjusted on JB4 ?

3. The JB4 is a good deal then compared to the Active 8 then, $530 vs $700.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 05:51 PM   #5
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Boost View Post
Ok, thanks guys, Mikes again!!!

I didnt know the JB4 increased boost by rpm!!!

So if I get the JB4....

1. Do I have control over the boost at all ? Can I change settings for more or less boost ? And if yes, can I change boost levels to set boost across entire rpm, vs rpm based boost ?

The JB4 comes with many maps pre-loaded, so usually custom tuning isn't needed. Saying that the JB4 allows a custom tuning map, where you can set boost by RPM so you can shape your own power curve, which is pretty cool if you are after a specific feel for the car..

There is also the auto tuning, map5 where the JB4 real time custom tunes the boost for you based on ambient conditions, mods, fuel, etc.

Mike

Map Info

Map 0: JB4 disabled
Map 1: Additive target, around 4psi over stock.
Map 2: Additive target, around 6psi over stock. Suggested for those with 93 octane and bolt on modifications. Also good for small E85 mixtures.
Map 3: Progressive methanol mapping, absolute target of 11-20psi based on meth flow, meth additive setting, and average ignition values.
Map 4: Stock performance with JB4 active for logging only.
Map 5: Autotuning map, absolute target of 11-17psi based on octane and conditions.
Map 6: User definable absolute target map. Suggested for troubleshooting by professionals only.
Map 7: Race gas map. Absolute target of 18.5psi. Requires straight unleaded race gas.

E85 Use

Models equipped with the pneumatic wastegate & flex fuel connector may experiment with up to 40% E85 mixtures. Some cars tolerate E85 and some do not. Cars that do not tolerate the mix will "buck" or "miss" at full throttle. In some cases map 7 can be used on the E85 mix and in other cases map 2 is the highest that can be used. It's best to start slowly and work your way up in terms of aggressiveness when experimenting with E85 mixtures.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 05:55 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

If you use the custom map, you can assign a different boost target for each 500 rpm.You can also set them to be the same.

All boost parameters ( boost by RPm, Boost By gear)

Not trying to push one product over the other.
JB4 is the most popular choice because it offers a lot at a low price + unlimited updates and upgrades.

A8 has its pros as well.
It offers stage 1 like install with stage 1.5 kind of features.
It also offers maps increase boost by .3psi increments

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 07:44 PM   #7
F80Boost
Banned
Rep

Wow guys, thanks alot, much appreciation!!!!

Lastly,

1. What psi does the 2016 435i Coupe N55 come with from factory ?

2. How do you make changes (maps, custom maps )with the JB4 ? Is it still the steering wheel controls ?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 07:51 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

It's a load based DME so boost will vary based on the baro, engine speed, gear, etc. But expect around 9psi most of the time.

2. How do you make changes (maps, custom maps )with the JB4 ? Is it still the steering wheel controls ?

You can change maps using the USB cable and a laptop, Steering wheel, Bluetooth connect kit and your phone

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #9
F80Boost
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post

It's a load based DME so boost will vary based on the baro, engine speed, gear, etc. But expect around 9psi most of the time.

You can change maps using the USB cable and a laptop, Steering wheel, Bluetooth connect kit and your phone

Can i do data logs with the blutooth, instead of laptop and cable ?

What exactly is shown on the datalogs ?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 07:57 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can i do data logs with the blutooth, instead of laptop and cable ?

What exactly is shown on the datalogs ?
Yes you can datalog with the bluetooth
Log show everything from fuel, afr, ingition timing, boost, fuel pumps, throttle closure,etc...

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 04:14 AM   #11
F80Boost
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Yes you can datalog with the bluetooth
Log show everything from fuel, afr, ingition timing, boost, fuel pumps, throttle closure,etc...
ok, so after data log is completed.

and say for example, my timing is showing low, can it be adjusted via JB4 ?

or can i only adjust the boost thru JB4?

i wouldn't think the JB4 allows capabilities to change fuel/timing.......it might show on a log, but not be able to change......... am i right ?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 04:40 AM   #12
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

What benefits does connecting to the cam sensor offer?
      02-18-2016, 08:26 AM   #13
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Canada
Rep

Quote:

i wouldn't think the JB4 allows capabilities to change fuel/timing.......it might show on a log, but not be able to change......... am i right ?
The simple adjustment is if a log is showing problems on say map2, then you would just map down to map1.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 12:08 PM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If you are having a lot of timing correction that means you either have bad spark plugs / coils or bad fuel or a map that is too aggressive

If it is the latter one, you need to change your JB4 map

Quote:
Originally Posted by 963mw View Post
What benefits does connecting to the cam sensor offer?
Control boost by RPM

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 12:37 PM   #15
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

I have the AA8. It has a nice smooth power curve and install is very simple and can be done in 15 minutes once you know where everything is and how to disconnect the sensors.

I will add to what has already been said; the JB4 will be the best option if adding downpipe or using E85 mixes. If staying stock the AA8 or other stage 1 with their easy/quick install and similar power may be the better choice. 1 feature of the JB4 which seems to not be mentioned is the fact that the tune "turns on" after the oil is warmed up. This is important and one thing in a cold climate like I live I wish the AA8 had. You don't want to be much on the boost with a cold car so I really have to be light on accelerating for the first 15 minutes in the morning. If you live in warm climates this is less of an issue as it may only take 5 minutes for oil to warm up enough. The JB4 would basically be stock until warmed up, which is preferred.
      02-18-2016, 12:41 PM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
I have the AA8. It has a nice smooth power curve and install is very simple and can be done in 15 minutes once you know where everything is and how to disconnect the sensors.

I will add to what has already been said; the JB4 will be the best option if adding downpipe or using E85 mixes. If staying stock the AA8 or other stage 1 with their easy/quick install and similar power may be the better choice. 1 feature of the JB4 which seems to not be mentioned is the fact that the tune "turns on" after the oil is warmed up. This is important and one thing in a cold climate like I live I wish the AA8 had. You don't want to be much on the boost with a cold car so I really have to be light on accelerating for the first 15 minutes in the morning. If you live in warm climates this is less of an issue as it may only take 5 minutes for oil to warm up enough. The JB4 would basically be stock until warmed up, which is preferred.
Thank you for adding that

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 03:18 PM   #17
F80Boost
Banned
Rep

is the oil warmed up, when the coolant is warmed up ?

hence. when my temp gauge goes from 160 to around 240ish.....

this is my first turbo car, and im gentle on it in the am until its warmed up..... I'm 40 years old, and this is my first turbo car!!!!!!! always wanted a car with turbo, but not many cars in my liking prior, or too expensive

but i love the 435i, car is effin badass...

Msport,estoril blue, 19's...and synsatec interior,,,which is actually not badd, actually softer and more subtle than the leather seats,go figure ???

im prob not going to do the catless downpipe, but may do an intake(for sound / fun factor), and possibly catback exhaust....

so would a JB4 be a waste vs Active 8 ????

considering the JB4 is $550 or so, and the Active 8 is $700, why would anyone limit themselves to the Active 8 (constricted expansion of tune) vs a JB4 ( possible expansion of tune, if needed).....ANDDDDDDDD, doesnt the JB4 give more hp/torque, apples to apples, just tunes alone ????
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 04:03 PM   #18
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Quote:

this is my first turbo car, and im gentle on it in the am until its warmed up..... I'm 40 years old, and this is my first turbo car!!!!!!! always wanted a car with turbo, but not many cars in my liking prior, or too expensive

Msport,estoril blue, 19's...and synsatec interior,,,which is actually not badd, actually softer and more subtle than the leather seats,go figure ???

im prob not going to do the catless downpipe, but may do an intake(for sound / fun factor), and possibly catback exhaust....

considering the JB4 is $550 or so, and the Active 8 is $700, why would anyone limit themselves to the Active 8 (constricted expansion of tune) vs a JB4 ( possible expansion of tune, if needed).....ANDDDDDDDD, doesnt the JB4 give more hp/torque, apples to apples, just tunes alone ????
If all you are going to do is cutback and intake, neither of which add any significant power, then no the JB4 will not yield any more power than the AA8 as you will be limited to map 1 which is 4 psi over stock. The AA8 is RPM based out of the box with boost anywhere from upper 2's to upper 5 psi over stock depending on RPM. AA8 is a quick to install and take out tune, where the JB4 you will need to route a wire inside the car to the OBD II plug by your left leg. AA8 comes stock with waterproof box vs. paying extra for that option with JB4 and the AA8 comes with mount bracket for an existing bolt in protected area under the hood; jb4 you will need to zip tie mount the box to a brace.

JB4 is really the best fit for those that will add downpipe and play around with better fuel like adding some E85. If not going to do this then the stage 1's will all yield about the same power as JB4 on map 1. I've tried 3 stage 1's and thus far prefer the AA8 as I like the boost by RPM method, but people are perfectly happy with JB stage 1, RaceChip Ultimate and AFE Scorcher. The RC Ultimate is also $699 and a 2 wire solution which is to be priced too high when you can get an RPM based tune for the same price that has a better mount solution and better tune adjustment dial on outside the box instead of inside requiring 8 tiny screws to come out to make changes to boost.
      02-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #19
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:

No matter what your mods are, the JB4 is not a waste.

Some go with AA vs JB4 because install time and the .3 psi increment is more important to them than the extra features and control.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 01:23 PM   #20
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Canada
Rep

Quote:

All good questions

Tuning a car is a personal choice.. We always advise people if possible to try several tunes if possible (drive friends cars, etc.) This way you can get a feel for what you want.

Mike
Appreciate 0