BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) X1 - Ride, handling and road noise

02-06-2016, 03:36 AM   #1
aaccon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 G21 330i M Sport

X1 - Ride, handling and road noise

Hi,

I have a 25i on order, delivery late February. Just reading Australian Wheels COTY (Car of the Year) and the new X1 was knocked out early in the judging for:

- Harsh ride
- Noise from run flats
- Quote `Ride quality is terrible`

Any present owners feel the same ? Maybe the only saving grace is at the last moment I also included `adaptive dampers` in the sale.

Really would like consensus from owners on their experience.

Cheers..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 04:15 AM   #2
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

I test drove the new X1 extensively before I ordered. My car is due in the next 6 weeks, but my test drive experience influenced me to order 18" wheels on my 25i, instead of the 19". I also have adaptive dampers, but these will not "soften" the ride, just give firmer damping in the Sport setting. I'll wait for my car to arrive, but I may change from RFTs to standard tyres, too.

In case you think it's just BMW, I also test drove both the M-B GLA and GLC, and they both suffer from the same affliction: low profile, RFTs...which is insanity for a vehicle of this type.

It would be good if some of the road test journos looked beyond their noses, and gave the car companies some proper feedback. These vehicles have 17" or 18" wheels in their base, country of origin spec, with 50-60 profile tyres. Local subsidiaries seems to respond to fashion and appearance, rather than common sense, and they need to be told this.
Appreciate 1
TI.3VOM73.50
      02-06-2016, 05:08 AM   #3
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Test cars that manufacturers send to journalists almost always come with all the fancy expensive options. That means 19" + RFTs and quite possibly DDC.

DDC in stiffer Sport mode (or short spring M Sport suspension) + 19" RFTs will give you a crashy ride, unless you're on perfect Swiss or Scandinavian roads!

18" RFTs + DDC in softer Comfort mode (or standard non-DDC suspension) give you a comfortable ride here in the UK. I know because that's my setup.

Whether UK roads are more awful or yours is debatable. But trust me, ride quality is far from "terrible" if you have the right setup. If comfort matters to you more than sportiness, you could always downgrade to 17" wheels + non-RFTs for max comfort and least noise.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 05:53 AM   #4
Sheldrake
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

This does seem to be the most 'controversial' technical issue, so reassured that 18 RFTs plus EDC (don't believe dampers are 'dynamic' as many say) work well in the UK. That's the spec I'm waiting for on an MSport but the test car was X Line and standard 18s. That combination certainly dealt with road imperfections better than our F10 530d M Sport on 19s, which can be uncomfortable and noisy on poor surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 06:07 AM   #5
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive25i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaccon View Post
Hi,

I have a 25i on order, delivery late February. Just reading Australian Wheels COTY (Car of the Year) and the new X1 was knocked out early in the judging for:

- Harsh ride
- Noise from run flats
Cheers..

Although the X1's ride isn't particularly cushy or compliant over sharp bumps, it's no worse than other compact-sport SUVs. I think Wheels' assessment of the X1 for COTY was a bit harsh. A few pages later I was reading about the Mazda CX-3 that made it into Round 2 despite complaints about its ride on larger rims too, as well as other issues. And the 7 Series assessment was rather glowing, without any negativity that I could see, and that too was knocked out in Round 1. I think Wheels has a certain bias towards Mazda and VAG-Group cars when it comes to COTY judging. The Audi Q7 picked as a finalist and praised for its ride had air suspension, which of course comes at a price!

"While the Q7 3.0 TDI is currently the only model available in Australia, we enlisted two examples for testing; one with standard steel coil springs, and one with the optional air suspension system. Both cars rode on 19-inch Pirelli rubber, yet the two gave markedly different results, with the $4950 air-sprung option briskly deemed expensive, but worth it."

Last edited by PF1; 02-06-2016 at 06:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2016, 06:30 AM   #6
raymitch1326
Private
Rep
Drives: sDrive2.0iSport LCI ordered

Hi
I have xDrive xLine 20d fitted with 18" wheels and standard Bridgestone Turanza 255/50 tyres. I also have the electronic damper option which I was led to believe was operational in Comfort mode. In any event I do not find the "ride quality terrible." It is firmish but very acceptable. Maybe it is the runflats ... or more likely a very bad road surface! Also read quite a few comments regarding wind noise but again I do not find it a problem. Generally very pleased with car...especially performance and auto gearbox. Only criticism are the rather hard leather seats! Have ordered Posture Cushion for Ģ26 and will see if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 06:46 AM   #7
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

Based on 50 miles our M sport on 19's with edc and run flats is firmer and noisier than the loan sport on 18's with no edc and non run flats.
I don't find the ride quality an issue, but I do think our car does get a bit noisy on poorer road surfaces.

Still early Days though and need to put some more miles on to reach any firm conclusions.
      02-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #8
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

I've already commented on the ride on mine in other threads, but here's my tuppence worth:

xLine 20D (Standard dampers) on 18" non-RFT Pirelli Cinturato P7 225/50: ride very good on "normal" roads, and copes with smooth speed humps etc very well. Does not like potholes or sharp ridges at all. Very quite on some road surfaces, and excessively noisy on others.

Now trying with 17" with Michelin CrossClimate 225/55: ride definitely better on the rough stuff, no difference on the smooth (None needed!). Quieter on all surfaces.

I must say I've not noticed any significant wind noise at all (Haven't tried with the roof open, but would be surprised if there wasn't wind noise).
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #9
Les Paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Xline Auto

Same set up as Raymitch and Vogit and happy with it.
18 with Bridgestone Turanza non run flats.
I didn't go for variable dampers as, I think, in the UK if you switch to sport mode this automaticaly stiffens the suspension, which would be too much for the roads where I mainly drive.
Car is very quiet, agile and comfortable. Probably because it is so quiet it makes it more noticeable when moving at speed from smooth tarmac, to say concrete or coarse chippings. I have not noticed wind noise as a problem even with sunroof.

Interested to note that you got Pirellis Vogit - did you spec these or is that just how it came? The 18 225/50 W XL seem specific to BMW and look pricey - hope mine last !

Last edited by Les Paul; 02-06-2016 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #10
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Paul View Post
Interested to note that you got Pirellis Vogit - did you spec these or is that just how it came? The 18 225/50 W XL seem specific to BMW and look pricey - hope mine last !
Nope, the Pirellis are just what it came with - they are BMW starred on the sidewall, though. I can't find these on any of the tyre sites (including Pirelli's own), as they only list runflats in this size!

I'm hoping that the Michelins will be better for fuel consumption as well as ride, noise and wet grip (Mud & snow, too since they're M&S marked). Seem to be working, although the steering is lighter with less feel (Although with less than 2000 miles on the clock I suspect there's more to come).
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 02:22 AM   #11
Wisly
Private
Croatia
Rep
Drives: X1 18d

On dunlop winter sport 17" 225 55 I can not be more satisfied with comfort. Car came with pirelli 17" summer tires which I drove only first day and they are little stiffer than winter Dunlops.
Also I noticed that Ecopro mode is little stiffer than Comfort mode.
Not planing to go for bigger wheels. The whole setup is very relaxing and offers great no stress ride.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 01:31 PM   #12
Andy203
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135

I test drove x1 with run flat, very noisy and a lot of road noise. Never did like the run flat that's the reason I went away from BMWs. Returned as normal tyres became option.
Had my X1 for 6 weeks now and very pleased with the decision to go for normal tyres, smooth ride etc. No regrets on my decision despite dealer could not offer me a test drive of x1 on normal tyres.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 03:22 AM   #13
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

I think it really comes down to where you're coming from and your expectations. As I've also said in earlier threads, we seriously looked at the F48 X1 to replace our 2011 F25 X3 a couple of months ago and - despite ticking many boxes on paper - came away disappointed with the test drives. Road noise, wind noise, suspension noise and ride comfort - while a huge improvement from my memories of the 1st gen X1 - were a level or two below our X3. On one test drive, immediately after the X1 test drive also had a test drive of a LCI 330i wagon. Again another level above in noise and ride comfort despite riding on 19" low profile runflats. Maybe with the option of the adjustable suspension (I recall it was relatively cheap option) and swapping out the runflats for conventional tyres (and making use of the huge underfloor area in the boot for a space saver spare), most of these issues can be improved to the point that I would find acceptable. But of course there's no way of testing out this combination.

Bottom line is regardless of what motoring reviews say and even what we say here, have a good test drive of the X1 (over the roads you normally use - not the ones the salespersons directs you to) and make up your own mind. Try and get a test drive in one equipped with the adjustable dampers - at the time we did our test drives there were no such equipped X1s in Australia.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 03:39 AM   #14
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
I think it really comes down to where you're coming from and your expectations. As I've also said in earlier threads, we seriously looked at the F48 X1 to replace our 2011 F25 X3 a couple of months ago and - despite ticking many boxes on paper - came away disappointed with the test drives. Road noise, wind noise, suspension noise and ride comfort - while a huge improvement from my memories of the 1st gen X1 - were a level or two below our X3. On one test drive, immediately after the X1 test drive also had a test drive of a LCI 330i wagon. Again another level above in noise and ride comfort despite riding on 19" low profile runflats. Maybe with the option of the adjustable suspension (I recall it was relatively cheap option) and swapping out the runflats for conventional tyres (and making use of the huge underfloor area in the boot for a space saver spare), most of these issues can be improved to the point that I would find acceptable. But of course there's no way of testing out this combination.

Bottom line is regardless of what motoring reviews say and even what we say here, have a good test drive of the X1 (over the roads you normally use - not the ones the salespersons directs you to) and make up your own mind. Try and get a test drive in one equipped with the adjustable dampers - at the time we did our test drives there were no such equipped X1s in Australia.

Tony
Totally agree

I run a F10 with 20" wheels on run flats and M Sport suspension, my wife currently has an A200 CDi AMG Evolution with 18" wheels on run flats. Both of these cars have very firm suspension so the F48 with M Sport and EDC on the 19" wheels will be fine for us and most likely show an improvement over what we have at the moment due to the larger profile tyres and adjustable dampers
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 04:48 AM   #15
ttimbo
Major
Rep

I've posted this before, but I see continuing confusion in some posts: DON'T expect EDC to make the ride in Comfort/Normal any better; it won't! EDC simply provides firmer damping in Sports mode. I have ordered it simply to give me a firmer handling option when I want to push on, given I'm downsizing to 18" wheels. Indeed, the more I hear about it from owners in Europe, I may purchase a set of 17" wheels, and downsize again to 225/55*17" non-RFTs
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 07:33 AM   #16
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
I've posted this before, but I see continuing confusion in some posts: DON'T expect EDC to make the ride in Comfort/Normal any better; it won't! EDC simply provides firmer damping in Sports mode. I have ordered it simply to give me a firmer handling option when I want to push on, given I'm downsizing to 18" wheels. Indeed, the more I hear about it from owners in Europe, I may purchase a set of 17" wheels, and downsize again to 225/55*17" non-RFTs
Yep I get you, it's more for when I drive the car solo
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 04:41 PM   #17
Remmm
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F48 Alpinweiss

Quote:
I want to add, that sport mode was to firm for me. I had a good test drive with it on sport mode, but turned it of (with 18" RFT's). But i do like the faster reponse on the gas etc... So i am really glad i did not take EDC because i can turn on SPORT and still have a comfort ride. Even with my current 19" non-RFT's

So for future owners take a good test drive with and without EDC to make up your mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 05:36 PM   #18
David1266
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaccon View Post
Hi,

- Harsh ride
- Noise from run flats

Any present owners feel the same ? Maybe the only saving grace is at the last moment I also included `adaptive dampers` in the sale.

Really would like consensus from owners on their experience.

Cheers..
Thinking of ordering the X1 25i with standard 19 inch run flats but tyre noise is my concern - What do I do the X1 has all the spec I require - have read many reports on the X1 about road noise
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 06:12 PM   #19
ttimbo
Major
Rep

You can always get the 18" wheels with RFTs. This is what I did. Fitted with Pirelli P7 tyres, the handling is great and road noise isn't a problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 12:24 PM   #20
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-3

Hey everyone

First post here, after lurking for quite some time, marvelling at the photos and the pile of info.

I’m looking to buy an X1 equipped with EDC for enhanced comfort. It was/is(?) my understanding that EDC is meant to adjust the suspension for either a softer or stiffer ride, depending on the road conditions and the driving style/demands.
And then I come across this post:

Quote:
I've posted this before, but I see continuing confusion in some posts: DON'T expect EDC to make the ride in Comfort/Normal any better; it won't! EDC simply provides firmer damping in Sports mode.

ttimbo, can you please elaborate?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 12:46 PM   #21
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

300, this is not rocket science: two settings - manually controlled- Comfort and Sport. Has nothing to do with "dynamic".

You should buy the option though - Sport gives you better handling and steering precision, especially since you are spoiled by your 9-3.

GMT+2: Finland?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 02:02 PM   #22
Pristineship
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 X line sDrive 20i

it is not true about EDC that it only stiffs up the dampers in sport mode.
You can look it up directly in BMW glossary, it is of course not as advanced as adaptive drive in 5er, but the edc can change settings in millseconds - and they do.
Donīt just listen to people who need to justify why they didnīt buy it for their car .
X1 needs EDC, especially with RFT.
Appreciate 0