THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Loose strut mountings

02-04-2016, 01:26 PM   #1
Scaleybrat
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M Sport (now gone)

Loose strut mountings

Took my M235i in for its 12k miles / 2 year service - iDrive told me it just needed an oil service.
Got a phone call from the dealer while the car was in to be told I will need to take it back in next week to have both front strut mountings to be replaced. When I asked the service guy what was exactly the problem he didn't offer a very clear explanation. As it is covered by warranty I didn't force the issue but I'm wondering if this is a common problem on the M235i.
Can anybody shed any light on the subject?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 04:07 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I'd get a clearer explanation before letting them work on the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 11:09 PM   #3
msginnie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Have you brought the issue before the head authority of the dealer. This clearly shows their money making tactics.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 02:59 AM   #4
Jasond13
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

I posted this in another older thread as well but just saw this I wonder if this is related and that's why there changing yours.
I got my car in Sep,2014 but is a 2015 X-drive at about 20K my front driver side rattles like hell in the cold or hot it's gotten worse over time. It's most noticeable over the smallest bumps driving slow. The car feels fine, handles the same as when I picked it up. I put it up on my buddy's lift we can't find anything noticeably loose that could be making this noise I am gonna make a video and post it tomorrow I'm interested to see if anyone else is having this issue its annoying as hell?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 12:35 PM   #5
Scaleybrat
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M Sport (now gone)

My car has now been back to the dealer and the work done. In retrospect, I can give you a symptom of the issue I had which may or may not be helpful. When reversing slowly with mid to full lock on the steering wheel, I would get a clunk sound coming from the front end. I thought it was brake related but now I have the car back it appears it must have been the suspension mounts.
BTW I don't think the dealer is trying to work some warranty scam as some have intimated. Of course I can't prove it but a franchised dealer has a lot to lose if they get caught trying to profit from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 08:53 AM   #6
Total madness
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i EB2

This exact same thing just happened to me. 14k in the car.

Worst part, i have to pay for aligment... Well isnt the need for aligment cause by a mechanical failure cover under warrany ? Why sould i assume this ? If the engine blows, should pay for oil ???
Anybody has an explanation ?
Appreciate 0