BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Decisions, decisions...

02-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #1
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Decisions, decisions...

So our lease is up on my wife's A Class later this year and she loves the car. However she is hankering after another BMW after previously having two 1 Series and me previously having three and still with the brand on my fourth.

She won't have a larger car so it reduces my options, we've done the A Class and 1 Series and I don't like the A3, Q3, Golf, etc. I'd like a M235i but it's not practical enough as we have two kids, although I tried convincing her it would be OK 😆

So started looking at the X1 today, thinking of going petrol this time as our last 5 cars and my current car have all been diesel and I'm starting to question the benefits of high powered diesels... So the 2.0i M Sport was the model I was initially looking at.

Having read the post and responses on the 2.0i it seems like it would fit our requirements. My wife has only done 15k over the last 2.5 years with the A Class.

So I specified one on the BMW website today and basically ticked almost every box. All the packages, leather, 19" wheels, panao roof, sat, active suspension, auto dimming mirrors, sun protection glass, memory seats, tbh can't remember all the boxes I ticked! The only ones I left out were the driving assist and comfort access...

Car is coming up at just over £40k

So finally my questions...

Am I loading up the car with too many options, any you guys think are not worth the money?

What sort of deals did you guys get, I'm talking % discounts and lease % APR?

Any other advice or information that I should be aware of?

Sorry for the length of the post!!

Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...

Last edited by The Beast; 02-03-2016 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #2
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

We are collecting Mrs W's M sport on Friday and that's pretty loaded although we are not getting the sunroof but have got all of the techy driver assist options. I do wonder about the sanity of ticking all of the option boxes as a lot of them won't add value come resale time, but Mrs W uses the car for work and does spend a fair bit of time in it.

I think we got 6.2% on pcp when we ordered, which isn't brilliant. As for a discount on the car we had some unusual circumstances that led to us getting the X1 and our deal wasn't representative of what you might get usually, but as ever I am sure there is some wiggle room.
      02-03-2016, 02:39 PM   #3
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by washy View Post
We are collecting Mrs W's M sport on Friday and that's pretty loaded although we are not getting the sunroof but have got all of the techy driver assist options. I do wonder about the sanity of ticking all of the option boxes as a lot of them won't add value come resale time, but Mrs W uses the car for work and does spend a fair bit of time in it.

I think we got 6.2% on pcp when we ordered, which isn't brilliant. As for a discount on the car we had some unusual circumstances that led to us getting the X1 and our deal wasn't representative of what you might get usually, but as ever I am sure there is some wiggle room.
Thanks, she only drives around town so all the active drive elements seem a little pointless, bar the one which assists in stop start traffic, but can't get this without the rest!

In terms of pano roof, she has it in the A Class and I find it transforms a dull cabin into a brighter and roomier appearing cabin...

I guess it's a relatively new car so discounts may be hard to find. She won't have a larger car, shame as I can get great deals and deposit contributions on a 3 Series!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 02:48 PM   #4
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Probably shouldn't say this in here, but I wanted us to get a 3 series touring, but Mrs W didn't want a big car either.
We were lucky enough to have a demo X1 for about a month and it was so good we didn't want to give it back. It is only the same length as my 2 series , but is very practical with lots of room in the back and boot space, which is configurable if you tick the sliding rear seat option. More importantly they are nice to drive too.
Oh yes must must add the cabin is really classy at night with the ambient lighting inside.
      02-03-2016, 06:21 PM   #5
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Your wife will not be disappointed by the X1, it is great machine
I am not sure what the models come standard with there. Here in Aust. it makes better sense to buy a XDrive 25i as it comes pretty much fully loaded, and is better value than the base model 20i once you add on the cost of the extras.
If it is base model you are starting from, I would add the driving assist package if she is doing a lot of around town driving and the auto tailgate sensor system as well as some of the other items mentioned by the others here.
As for the options, that is a hard decision to make as there are so many.
The panorama roof is great, LED lights are fantastic, auto Tailgate, etc etc
See if you can test drive a fully optioned up X1 then see what you can do without.
As my X1 XDrive25i came with all the goodies, the only options I needed to add was the Pana roof and DAB.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #6
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive25i M Sport

Hi The Beast, reading your post was like reading about my own situation! I've had a Mercedes A200 petrol for the past 2 yrs and recently ordered the X1 xDrive25i for my wife to replace her Peugeot 207. After Dieselgate she wasn't interested in any Audi or VW. MB GLA is too similar to our A Class and not much bigger. X3 was considered too big and she didn't like the more angular styling. GLC also too big for her and felt too mature. When she saw the X1 she wanted one. I personally want the M235i too, when it comes to moving on from the A Class which I do love despite its flaws.

As AusF20/F48 said, the x25i in Oz comes with a lot of kit as standard. Options don't add much to resale sadly so having all the standard inclusions is great. For our order we optioned the panoramic sunroof (that's a must for my wife), DAB+, M Sport package (mainly for sports seats, dynamic dampers and M steering wheel), and sun protection glazing. Got about 12% off the RRP initially quoted, plus 5 yrs free servicing under corporate. At current exchange rate it equates to roughly £30,000. No trade-in or finance.

I know more % discount can be had on the 3 Series - we looked at the 330i LCI which was quite nice and well-equipped but that would be more my car and she would take the A Class which she finds a bit harsh in the ride and the steering too firm for her liking. So considering all that, in addition to space and practicality, the X1 won out.

The A Class is still one of the best FWD cars I've driven. It's fun to drive spiritedly, loads of grip through corners and little understeer. I feel the X1 isn't far off the A Class for chassis balance, while having more power and a smoother gearbox than MB's slightly clunky and indecisive DCT. A little more bodyroll with its higher centre of gravity is to be expected, but it's a fun little SUV to drive. For my next car I would like a RWD, hence been thinking about the 228i/M235i. With one practical car in the garage I could, more selfishly, get a coupe...

Last edited by PF1; 02-03-2016 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2016, 10:51 PM   #7
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

I would get comfort access. especially if you have memory seats. Sunroof does lighten things up, but there are reports that it adds considerably to the noise level (when open)

The assist packages depend on your market. Everyone speaks highly of the HUD, and the ability to display speed limits.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2016, 01:50 AM   #8
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynewx1 View Post
Hi The Beast, reading your post was like reading about my own situation! I've had a Mercedes A200 petrol for the past 2 yrs and recently ordered the X1 xDrive25i for my wife to replace her Peugeot 207. After Dieselgate she wasn't interested in any Audi or VW. MB GLA is too similar to our A Class and not much bigger. X3 was considered too big and she didn't like the more angular styling. GLC also too big for her and felt too mature. When she saw the X1 she wanted one. I personally want the M235i too, when it comes to moving on from the A Class which I do love despite its flaws.

As AusF20/F48 said, the x25i in Oz comes with a lot of kit as standard. Options don't add much to resale sadly so having all the standard inclusions is great. For our order we optioned the panoramic sunroof (that's a must for my wife), DAB+, M Sport package (mainly for sports seats, dynamic dampers and M steering wheel), and sun protection glazing. Got about 12% off the RRP initially quoted, plus 5 yrs free servicing under corporate. At current exchange rate it equates to roughly £30,000. No trade-in or finance.

I know more % discount can be had on the 3 Series - we looked at the 330i LCI which was quite nice and well-equipped but that would be more my car and she would take the A Class which she finds a bit harsh in the ride and the steering too firm for her liking. So considering all that, in addition to space and practicality, the X1 won out.

The A Class is still one of the best FWD cars I've driven. It's fun to drive spiritedly, loads of grip through corners and little understeer. I feel the X1 isn't far off the A Class for chassis balance, while having more power and a smoother gearbox than MB's slightly clunky and indecisive DCT. A little more bodyroll with its higher centre of gravity is to be expected, but it's a fun little SUV to drive. For my next car I would like a RWD, hence been thinking about the 228i/M235i. With one practical car in the garage I could, more selfishly, get a coupe...
Haha, very similar indeed!! I do like the A Class despite its flaws too, so much better looking than the 1 Series. Same concerns over GLA/GLC too, I like the RR Evoque but too big again...

I didn't see the 25i on the BMW website, will have to look again... However £30k is really cheap, why do we pay so much more in the UK

Yeah my thinking is the same, if I get her a more practical car I can change my F10 for something a little more sporty and impractical when the time comes as we can use the X1 as the family car
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 01:52 AM   #9
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
I would get comfort access. especially if you have memory seats. Sunroof does lighten things up, but there are reports that it adds considerably to the noise level (when open)

The assist packages depend on your market. Everyone speaks highly of the HUD, and the ability to display speed limits.
Thanks, I have specified the navigation plus pack which provides HUD.

I hear you on the roof but I'm after it more for the extra light in winter when it's closed rather than the ability to open in the summer

Last edited by The Beast; 02-04-2016 at 02:39 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 03:15 AM   #10
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive25i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
I didn't see the 25i on the BMW website, will have to look again... However £30k is really cheap, why do we pay so much more in the UK
I don't think the 25i is available in your market, unfortunately. Last time I looked most of the UK X1 models were diesel. The 25i has the same 170kW/350Nm unit the US gets as their xDrive 28i. The UK gets the 25d which we don't have here (our top-spec diesel is 20d). The 141kW 20i in Aust only comes in sDrive (FWD).
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2016, 03:38 AM   #11
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynewx1 View Post
I don't think the 25i is available in your market, unfortunately. Last time I looked most of the UK X1 models were diesel. The 25i has the same 170kW/350Nm unit the US gets as their xDrive 28i. The UK gets the 25d which we don't have here (our top-spec diesel is 20d). The 141kW 20i in Aust only comes in sDrive (FWD).
Yeah I know I should probably go diesel but we haven't had a petrol car in years... And with the threat of taxation on diesels in the UK, the fact that petrol is cheaper than diesel here and the low mileage that my wife does I don't think the difference in running costs will be much. Going to have to look at how the leasing companies view a petrol SUV in terms of residuals though.

The 141kW is only available in xDrive here and I think that this is more than enough power for her. Considerably quicker than her A Class, however I am yet to drive one and am going off the stats. Will see how the mid-range pull is before making the final decision
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 04:16 AM   #12
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

20i xDrive owner (xLine). I can't fault the engine and have zero regrets. I've said this many times, the obsession with diesels here in the UK is just ridiculous and I hate the fact that manufacturers don't offer more high power petrols (no 25i for example).

My option list and review: http://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1187939

It all depends on what you want. If comfort, switch back to 18" and replace the standard M Sport suspension with regular or DDC. For max comfort, regular tyres instead of RFTs. 19" + RFTs will be too much for UK roads in my opinion. On the other hand, M Sport 19" wheels are absolutely the best looking set of wheels you can get for the F48!

As for the options, I would highly recommend driving assists. I have the basic one (5AS) because I mostly use speed limiter instead of cruise. But if you use cruise control, 5AS gives you automatic braking compared to the standard cruise. 5AT will give you fully automatic cruise, but it's bloody expensive.

The traffic sign recognition and speed limit assist that come with both driving assist packs are super useful. I've explained how it works here: http://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1199420

It's eye-candy vs practicality vs comfort/sportiness in my opinion. Decide which is more important, then pick your options. And then add the pano roof. Because it's awesome!!!
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2016, 04:51 AM   #13
Les Paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Xline Auto

Don't worry about sunroof noise...I have not noticed any difference in noise levels with ours...unless it's open It certainly makes the interior ambience even better. Those who have experienced higher noise levels, may need some adjustment to their fitting. Tyre/wheel combination is probably the biggest variable. (even the diesel engine noise is negligable)
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2016, 07:49 AM   #14
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Got to be honest if I could go back I would order the sunroof.
      02-04-2016, 10:17 AM   #15
tobycoombes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 2.0i

Quote:
So our lease is up on my wife's A Class later this year and she loves the car. However she is hankering after another BMW after previously having two 1 Series and me previously having three and still with the brand on my fourth.

She won't have a larger car so it reduces my options, we've done the A Class and 1 Series and I don't like the A3, Q3, Golf, etc. I'd like a M235i but it's not practical enough as we have two kids, although I tried convincing her it would be OK ��

So started looking at the X1 today, thinking of going petrol this time as our last 5 cars and my current car have all been diesel and I'm starting to question the benefits of high powered diesels... So the 2.0i M Sport was the model I was initially looking at.

Having read the post and responses on the 2.0i it seems like it would fit our requirements. My wife has only done 15k over the last 2.5 years with the A Class.

So I specified one on the BMW website today and basically ticked almost every box. All the packages, leather, 19" wheels, panao roof, sat, active suspension, auto dimming mirrors, sun protection glass, memory seats, tbh can't remember all the boxes I ticked! The only ones I left out were the driving assist and comfort access...

Car is coming up at just over £40k

So finally my questions...

Am I loading up the car with too many options, any you guys think are not worth the money?

What sort of deals did you guys get, I'm talking % discounts and lease % APR?

Any other advice or information that I should be aware of?

Sorry for the length of the post!!

The petrol engine is fantastic and such a good option rather than the diesel if like us you only do short trips and low annual mileage. The engine is so quiet at low speeds that you'd think you were driving an electric car.

I loaded our car until it hit £40k and then stopped. I'd highly recommend the sun roof, even over the past few days when it's cold but sunny it's nice to have the roof open. It's great for passengers in the back of the car as well.

The HUD is marvellous, this is part of the sat nav update, but I'm not sure that £1,500 is worth it just for the HUD, as the standard car has nav. The only thing that I didn't like was the screen surround in the basic sat nav version. You'll need to make you own call on this one. If you have the money it's a good option.

Additions that we added were the auto folding mirror pack which is great when parking in town or navigating narrow roads, electric sports seats which have a profile for each key, so when I use my key the seats, mirrors, HUD, radio settings etc all set to my profile and then back to my wife's when she uses her key.

There is a pack that gives you front parking sensors that also includes extended interior lighting. This really sets the interior apart and looks fantastic.

We have the 19" wheels and added the electronic dampers. I can't really say if the dampers make a difference over the normal suspension but we are certainly happy with it and knowing how it is in 'sports' mode, and with it being a relatively cheap option on the M-Sport I'd recommend having it.

I hope that helps you - with regards to discount's there was very little for me as I ordered off plan back in the summer of 2015 but I am sure there'll be a few discounts kicking around now.

Good luck
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2016, 10:18 AM   #16
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Right ok I took my wife to test drive one today and she liked it although they only had a diesel to test...

So this is the exact specification I have been looking at;

BMW X1 xDrive20i M Sport
Sport automatic transmission
Mineral White metallic paint.

19" M light alloy wheels Double-spoke style 572 M Bicolour, 8J x 19, 225/45 R19 tyres.

Leather 'Dakota' PDMZ with perforations Mocha.
Fineline Stream wood interior trim with Pearl chrome finish

Packages

Technology package

Package components
Comfort Access
Reversing Assist camera
Harman Kardon - Hi-Fi

BMW Navigation Plus package

Package components
Remote Services
Concierge Service
Real Time Traffic Information
BMW Navigation Plus
Head-up Display

Driver comfort package

Package components
Park Assist
Cruise control with brake function
Extended Interior Light Package
Park Distance Control (PDC), front and rear

M Sport Package

Package components
M Steering Wheel
Electronic Damper Control (EDC)
Exterior trim, High-gloss Shadowline
Roof rails, High-gloss Shadowline
Headlining, Anthracite
M aerodynamic bodystyling
Sport seats, front

Optional equipment

Communication

BMW Navigation Plus
Concierge Service
Harman Kardon - Hi-Fi
Head-up Display
Real Time Traffic Information
Remote Services

Exterior Equipment

Elec Fold Exterior Mirrors
Ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming
Model designation deletion
Model designation deletion (side)
Panoramic glass sunroof
Run-flat tyres
Sun protection glass

Interior Equipment

Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory
Extended Interior Light Package
Rear-view mirror, auto dimming

Safety & Security

Headlight wash
Park Distance Control (PDC), front and rear
Run-flat tyres

Technology

Comfort Access
Cruise control with brake function
Electronic Damper Control (EDC)
Park Assist
Reversing Assist camera
Variable sport steering

Transmission

Sport automatic transmission

So going by this specification are there any glaring omissions, do I get the speed limit display in the HUD or do I need to specify driving assistant in order to get this?

If so I'm considering dropping the auto dimming folding mirrors and just keeping the folding option, also thinking of dropping headlamp wash and the variable sport steering to accommodate driving assistant... I just can't go over £41k with this car

Last edited by The Beast; 02-04-2016 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 10:39 AM   #17
Bluezed
Bluezed
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 25d xLine MG

I would certainly now add Enhanced Blue Tooth if I could.
I am not bothered about having multiple phones and additional microphone on passenger side etc. The real benefit (if I am right) is having voice control for the navigation system which means you can just tell it to 'navigate to' a post code or address without any manual input. I would check the actual details with you sales person but I think that is what it does.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2016, 10:47 AM   #18
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluezed View Post
I would certainly now add Enhanced Blue Tooth if I could.
I am not bothered about having multiple phones and additional microphone on passenger side etc. The real benefit (if I am right) is having voice control for the navigation system which means you can just tell it to 'navigate to' a post code or address without any manual input. I would check the actual details with you sales person but I think that is what it does.
Oh please no! I'm going to loose it now!!

I don't use it much on my F10, however I wonder if this system is better for MY16?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 10:50 AM   #19
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Oh please no! I'm going to loose it now!!

I don't use it much on my F10, however I wonder if this system is better for MY16?
Will let you know tomorrow, but my bet is she is still as willfully disobedient as ever...
      02-04-2016, 10:53 AM   #20
Bluezed
Bluezed
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 25d xLine MG

When you have gone so far....what's another 'tick' in a box?
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2016, 11:00 AM   #21
M-Nick
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Nice spec, allmost like mine

If you want the camera based speed limit in the HUD you need to add the driver assistant or driver assistant plus package.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2016, 11:01 AM   #22
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluezed View Post
When you have gone so far....what's another 'tick' in a box?
Seriously I'm really bad with stuff like this as I do want to just tick it all, but I have to try and draw the line somewhere... So £41k it is, the thing is now I'm just consumed by what I keep and what I switch out
Appreciate 0