BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > About to pull the trigger and have a few questions, please help...

01-31-2016, 06:06 PM   #1
kdu3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP

About to pull the trigger and have a few questions, please help...

First, I apologize in advance because I know I can probably find the answers to these questions by reading through the forum. However, I'm sort of on a tight timeline and hope someone can help me out.

I'm in a market for a new car. Used to have a 335i and was only starting to look at the used M4s and a few other cars. Have been off the forums for a while and didn't pay attention to the M2. Saw it yesterday at DC auto show and loved it. Went to my BMW dealer today and have the opportunity to get on the allocation list at MSRP with $1,000 refundable deposit. I want to get this taken care of tomorrow before I miss my window.

Here is where I need some info. The dealer to told me that they aren't able to order the car yet, as in it's not in the system. However, I see some of you already got your order, pricing and tentative build date. What am I missing?

Second, I would be number 6 on the waiting list. The dealer explained that once they got to me I would place the order and wait two months or so to get the car. However, they get these allocations later on and only 1 or 2 per month so it would be a while before that happens. Does that sounds correct?

MSRP oddly sounds like a good deal on this car. What else am I missing or should know before I get on this list?

Again, thanks for your help!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 06:09 PM   #2
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

You are probably 3 months late... Almost all cars a allocated already. You might find some good deals around. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
kdu3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima View Post
You are probably 3 months late... Almost all cars a allocated already. You might find some good deals around. Good luck!
Allocated as in the 2016 model year? My dealer told me they have 12 allocations coming their way and I would be number 6. I definitely feel like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle here or didn't as the right questions.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 06:15 PM   #4
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdu3 View Post
First, I apologize in advance because I know I can probably find the answers to these questions by reading through the forum. However, I'm sort of on a tight timeline and hope someone can help me out.

I'm in a market for a new car. Used to have a 335i and was only starting to look at the used M4s and a few other cars. Have been off the forums for a while and didn't pay attention to the M2. Saw it yesterday at DC auto show and loved it. Went to my BMW dealer today and have the opportunity to get on the allocation list at MSRP with $1,000 refundable deposit. I want to get this taken care of tomorrow before I miss my window.

Here is where I need some info. The dealer to told me that they aren't able to order the car yet, as in it's not in the system. However, I see some of you already got your order, pricing and tentative build date. What am I missing?

Second, I would be number 6 on the waiting list. The dealer explained that once they got to me I would place the order and wait two months or so to get the car. However, they get these allocations later on and only 1 or 2 per month so it would be a while before that happens. Does that sounds correct?

MSRP oddly sounds like a good deal on this car. What else am I missing or should know before I get on this list?

YES you should have done your research but we're nice here so ill help.
1. The orders you see fellow forum members placing are for launch cars (demo cars). Dealers only get one of those. The actual customer allocated orders have not started yet.
2. That is correct the dealer will get a set number of allocations every month and they work their way down the list. Note the list might get shorter fast since they expect people to drop out
3. Not much to know other than to make sure the deposit is refundable and they are really offering MSRP.
4. If you want the car now, start contacting dealers around the nation. There are dealers in small towns that still have their launch car allocation available. Good luck!

And you definitely are not too late to the game! get on a list now or venture out to other dealers.

Last edited by OG///M; 01-31-2016 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 06:21 PM   #5
kdu3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis///M View Post
YES you should have done your research but we're nice here so ill help.
1. The orders you see fellow forum members placing are for launch cars (demo cars). Dealers only get one of those. The actual customer allocated orders have not started yet.
2. That is correct the dealer will get a set number of allocations every month and they work their way down the list. Note the list might get shorter fast since they expect people to drop out
3. Not much to know other then to make sure the deposit is refundable and they are really offering MSRP.
4. If you want the car now, start contacting dealers around the nation. There are dealers in small towns that still have their launch car allocation available. Good luck!
You are a gentleman and a scholar! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 09:25 PM   #6
Kantalias
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Do shop around. I talked to 8 dealers on Friday and 2 others before that to obtain success. Small time dealers may have a hidden opportunity.

Be aware that BMW is reducing the warranty benefit starting in model year 2017.

Several sales managers I talked to at different dealerships told me their reps said to expect ~500 2016 M2s. There are ~330 dealers, but not every dealer will get a car. However, seeing 6 at one dealership would be unusual. Not impossible -- and no one knows for sure what will happen -- but, if you're determined, keep shopping for refundable deposit opportunities.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 05:44 AM   #7
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdu3

Call around to dealers nationwide. I'm #2 on a list. Got on it last week.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 09:21 AM   #8
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Since you need the car ASAP, I would advise you to do literally everything within your power to get a 2016. In addition to 4 vs 3 years of included maintenance, brakes are included which I can only assume would be a huge expense. Plus they will raise the price going into 2017, so you'll end up paying more for less. Sure you could perhaps get a discount in 2017, but just using round numbers to play the game - $52,500 now vs $54,500 in 2017 w/ a 6% discount (which I think is HIGHLY optimistic) gets you $51,250. So basically you're paying $1,000 to get the car now and have the extra year of maintenance and brakes included. Seems like a no brainer to me, even if you have to pay to ship the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 03:09 PM   #9
kdu3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Since you need the car ASAP, I would advise you to do literally everything within your power to get a 2016. In addition to 4 vs 3 years of included maintenance, brakes are included which I can only assume would be a huge expense. Plus they will raise the price going into 2017, so you'll end up paying more for less. Sure you could perhaps get a discount in 2017, but just using round numbers to play the game - $52,500 now vs $54,500 in 2017 w/ a 6% discount (which I think is HIGHLY optimistic) gets you $51,250. So basically you're paying $1,000 to get the car now and have the extra year of maintenance and brakes included. Seems like a no brainer to me, even if you have to pay to ship the car.
All good points. Although how certain are you that they will raise the price? Any speculation on if the M2 will hold on to its value better than let's say an M4? Let's say I waited till 2017 to buy it. Do you think it would still be a waiting list situation?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 03:31 PM   #10
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdu3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
All good points. Although how certain are you that they will raise the price? Any speculation on if the M2 will hold on to its value better than let's say an M4? Let's say I waited till 2017 to buy it. Do you think it would still be a waiting list situation?
They always do some sort of increase, how much hard to say. If it's like the 235 the exec pack could be standard and raise the price like $500 on top of that for instance. Even if the price hike is minimal you should investigate the brake service. Call your dealer and ask them but if you need to do pads, sensors, rotors and calipers (had to do that on my Touareg for instance) you are looking at a VERY expensive job. In terms of your question on holding value, tough to say and too early to tell. Assuming it's not the 1M situation (which is one of VERY few cars that behave that way) you're going to lose money now or in 2017. My dealer also firmly believes that Ms drop faster in the first few years then level off and stay there as opposed to a more gradual decline with something like a 235 or your 335. If you're looking for cheapest cost to own a 2016 235 would probably be a safer bet than a 2017 M2 given the 4 years maintenance cheaper parts etc and with the current discount you're losing some of the initial depreciation. That said M cars, at least according to him, drop fast in years 1-3 bc they're purpose built to have the snot beat out of them. Residuals are typically lower on leases too. At the end of the day you're going to lose money, it's a car. But if you can get your hands on a 2016 and get a free brake job that's probably better. Also be realistic about how long you'll keep the car. If 1-2 years not an issue, if you keep cars a long time though in month 47 of owning the 2016 you could buy the extended warranty maintenance plan and have what 6 full years of not buying anything but tires and zero stress?
Appreciate 0