BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Teething Problems

01-29-2016, 08:06 AM   #1
raymitch1326
Private
Rep
Drives: sDrive2.0iSport LCI ordered

Unhappy Teething Problems

Took delivery of my X1 Glacier Silver xLine 20d 2 weeks ago and problems encountered are:

1.Bonnet not closing properly. Driver side proud by good few mm`s.
Ignore manual to drop from 16 inches. Shown by salesman how to slam it! That worked! I place hands on top of bonnet above locating lugs and ply more force than you might think.
2. Boot closing by waving foot under. Not reliable. Best success by swiping right to left close to underside starting swing from below right exhaust. Surely BMW can do better. Comfort Access Option inc this was £350! Waste of money!
Also when having car washed boot opened! Suggest lock and leave key out of range!
3 Automatic light position very temperamental. In foggy conditions did not switch on dipped lights. had to switch manually.

4 Subjective matter...leather seats very hard!! Have ordered a cushion see how that helps. Oh for my cloth VW seats!
5 Problem with smear/deposit being left on windscreen by the passenger wiper[smaller of the 2] directly in view of driver. Tried washing wiper/windscreen. Had discussion with salesman who was saying normal....agreed to replace wiper. Seems to have worked!!!
UPDATE
AS an update to wiper problem. It was almost certainly due to lumps of glue/fibre either side of the rubber blade [made in Serbia?] which was creating smearing. See photo.New blade which also had this glue but was not so big.
Attached Images

Last edited by raymitch1326; 02-19-2016 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 08:24 AM   #2
BMW newbie 2016
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1, Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymitch1326 View Post
Took delivery of my X1 Glacier Silver xLine 20d 2 weeks ago and problems encountered are:

1.Bonnet not closing properly. Driver side proud by good few mm`s.
Ignore manual to drop from 16 inches. Shown by salesman how to slam it! That worked! I place hands on top of bonnet above locating lugs and ply more force than you might think.
2. Boot closing by waving foot under. Not reliable. Best success by swiping right to left close to underside starting swing from below right exhaust. Surely BMW can do better. Comfort Access Option inc this was £350! Waste of money!
Also when having car washed boot opened! Suggest lock and leave key out of range!
3 Automatic light position very temperamental. In foggy conditions did not switch on dipped lights. had to switch manually.
4 Subjective matter...leather seats very hard!! Have ordered a cushion see how that helps. Oh for my cloth VW seats!
5 Problem with smear/deposit being left on windscreen by the passenger wiper[smaller of the 2] directly in view of driver. Tried washing wiper/windscreen. Had discussion with salesman who was saying normal....agreed to replace wiper. Seems to have worked!!!
Wow. Sounds like you got a car built on a Friday afternoon. Folks just wanted to get to the beer gardens. I have had my X1 for 2 months now and all is working fine. No problem with the hatch opening or closing with my foot action dn has never opened when I was not behind the car. I have had problems with it closing when I was placing something inside the trunk and reaching far into it. Must be due to leaning forward and lifting foot to get further in so when my foot comes back down on the ground it will sometimes start to beep to alert me that the hatch os closing.
Lights always work fine going through tunnels and pulling into the garage. Go on as expected and close 2 minutes later when exiting dark areas.
Wiper...well you got a dud. It happens.
My leather seats are also a bit taunt. Must be the design. Sport seats after all. A cushion is a good idea.
I also had to slam the hood to close it and am afraid to damage it since it is made of aluminium. Good thing I don't open it very often. Good tip for closing it properly. Thanks.
Let's hope that your problems are worked out and that you can finally start to enjoy the fabulous car you just purchased! I am past the break in period and had the opportunity to play with it on the highway with both the sport and manual shift options and boy does this thing move. I am thrilled. Although in all honesty I come from a 1.8 litre 122hp engine so that not hard to beat
Welcome to the group and will see you around.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
verruckt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, G05 X5, Gen 2 Raptor

Interesting, we're having issues with ours where the trunk where:
1. It doesn't open all the time with the kick sensor
2. It doesn't always open itself (power open is not reliable - hard to open manually)
3. Button on keyfob doesn't open the trunk at all

I'll have to take it in.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 11:34 AM   #4
Les Paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Xline Auto

Same problem sometimes with our rear tailgate. It sometimes does not open fully with kick sensor... unlocks but does not raise...mainly happens when my mates are watching...well it gives them a laugh ! Probably happens 1 in 10 times so not too bad. All other "comfort" functions work okay.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 06:27 PM   #5
BMW newbie 2016
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1, Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by verruckt View Post
Interesting, we're having issues with ours where the trunk where:
1. It doesn't open all the time with the kick sensor
2. It doesn't always open itself (power open is not reliable - hard to open manually)
3. Button on keyfob doesn't open the trunk at all

I'll have to take it in.
On the key fob you have to hold down the button for 2 seconds. I thought as you did when I got the car that the button may have been defective. It's not. Just hold it down. I suppose that's so you don't open it by accident.
The opening height is adjustable in Settings in the I Drive under Tailgate. Check to make sure it is set at the highest level.
The sensor under the car can be temperamental. In the beginning I had trouble too. It seems to work fine now.
Let me know if any of this was helpful.
Thanks
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 06:52 PM   #6
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

Interesting. I have had very similar problems to the original poster. I brought my car in for the hood to be adjusted, replace driver side windshield wiper, no album art and the rear lift gate was saying the rear was still open. They ended up replacing the wiper and replacing the rear hatch mechanism. Haven't had a problem since then.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 10:59 AM   #7
Wisly
Private
Croatia
Rep
Drives: X1 18d

I had a problem with instruments cluster ( speedometer , revs meter and small display) when I switched from D to manual shifting instrument cluster blocked and went black.
Service ordered new instrument cluster and replaced it. Solved the problem.

One more tiny thing, left and right angel eyes in LED lights have a small colour difference so I will ask about that next time.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 11:24 AM   #8
Les Paul
Private First Class
Rep

Comfort access

Went to BMW dealers today with a few questions. One question was why doesn't tailgate always lift ...just pops open and lifts a little sometimes.

BMW Genius advised that this was because if I dont move out of the way, or if there is an oject too near, the reverse sensors pick this up and stop the tailgate lifting. He said as soon as it activates step back and it will be fine. Tried it a few times and works ok.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 10:49 AM   #9
raymitch1326
Private
Rep
Drives: sDrive2.0iSport LCI ordered

Thanks Will give it a try!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 03:31 PM   #10
thtoothdoc
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20d Xline

Any one had a problem with power steering ? under 2 week old car with under 200 miles on clock with an amber power steering warning light on display , BMW assistance tech confirms error message and that power steering control needs recoding or replacing .
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 04:47 PM   #11
Les Paul
Private First Class
Rep

I have the same model. Touching wood... no problems yet 5 months in and no issues/warning messages.

Have had some small windscreen chips, which are probably the result of UK roads, rather than build quality issues (though not had any on previous 2 cars) ....just bad luck I guess.Other than that no issues.

Interested to hear the outcome. Hope the dealer can fix it for you quickly.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 10:41 AM   #12
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Gran Coupe (2015)

Just note, our rear tailgate with comfort access could not open as well. Until we kicked standing about 1 ft away from the vehicle, so that the boot does not open and hit you in the face. It works perfectly now.
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #13
thtoothdoc
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20d Xline

The beginning of a nightmare ?
Sytner Chigwell could not source a loaned with 1 days notice , BMW c/s uses Enterprise car hire , but had to phone c/s twice before getting a call from the car hire company who could not initially supply a vehicle because the contract calls for a loan BMW car only , eventually one sourced from another depot and arrived at almost midday . Our car apparently now reprogrammed but as of 6.45 pm have yet to hear from dealership that its all okay and test drive passed . Also apparently refusing to accept that if this fault should recur within a reasonable period of time that we reserve the right under the sale of goods act to reject the vehicle .
Should a car under 2 weeks old and with less than 200 miles require a return to the dealership ?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 02:47 PM   #14
Andy203
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtespar View Post
Interesting. I have had very similar problems to the original poster. I brought my car in for the hood to be adjusted, replace driver side windshield wiper, no album art and the rear lift gate was saying the rear was still open. They ended up replacing the wiper and replacing the rear hatch mechanism. Haven't had a problem since then.
Hi did start a post ref no album art, have you rolled this problem? And are you playing from a memory stick via usb connection under arm rest?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 04:18 PM   #15
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Album art not showing when using a USB stick is usually a function of the formatting of the directories on the USB stick, and the application used to copy the music to it. Unfortunately, there are many of these apps, and it's best to seek support from the software maker or user forum, as it is usually a case of trial and error with the application settings.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:38 AM   #16
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i noticed with kick sensor to open tailgate, u need to be at distances. if you are too close it wont open.
Appreciate 1