BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Helpful hints about the F48 you might want to know

01-18-2016, 06:10 AM   #1
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Helpful hints about the F48 you might want to know

1) When washing your F48 fitted with remote (kick) tailgate opener / closer, make sure that you lock it before you start.
I discovered that whilst washing mine today, (after having gone all round the vehicle pressure washing), I moved slightly forward when I was at the rear to wash the roof. I was still standing a foot (30cm) or more back from the rear. All of a sudden the tailgated starts opened by itself.
I got a little surprised as not only the tailgate was opening out towards me but because of the fall on the roof and roof rails, there was now a fair amount of water flowing back down the side channels. No harm done, no water got in the cargo area.
It appears that the sensor may be more sensitive when water is present on the ground. The first time it happened, I just pushed the button and it closed. After it reopened the 2nd time, I decided it was best to just lock the car and keep washing. I hope this advice can help someone else.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 07:42 AM   #2
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Just out of curiosity (I don't have the touchless entry option), can the tailgate thing be disabled via iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #3
erichighley
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1, i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD
Just out of curiosity (I don't have the touchless entry option), can the tailgate thing be disabled via iDrive?
I don't believe so. You can adjust the opening height, but the kick-open option is always on.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 05:11 AM   #4
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20/F48 View Post
1) The first time it happened, I just pushed the button and it closed. After it reopened the 2nd time, I decided it was best to just lock the car and keep washing. I hope this advice can help someone else.
Guess what, it open again.
If you want to wash the car, leave the key somewhere else. Not in your pocket
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 07:02 AM   #5
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

Options to consider

Having had mine for for 4 weeks and 1600 miles there's some options I wish I'd gone for:

HUD (Only available as part of an pack in the UK) - mainly because at 6ft 1in I can't see the both information display and the speedometer (At 30,50 or 70mph) comfortably when the seat & wheel are as I like them.

8" Display screen (Part of the same pack as the HUD here) - not a biggy, but the split display would be useful.

Model designation deletion - not because I'm shy, but because the badges don't seem very well attached, and apart from retaining dirty water, they wobble and feel like they are going to come off when washing the car.

Other than that, I'm loving it!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 12:30 PM   #6
ggrwatt
Rep
Drives: X3 30d Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogit View Post
Having had mine for for 4 weeks and 1600 miles there's some options I wish I'd gone for:

HUD (Only available as part of an pack in the UK) - mainly because at 6ft 1in I can't see the both information display and the speedometer (At 30,50 or 70mph) comfortably when the seat & wheel are as I like them.

8" Display screen (Part of the same pack as the HUD here) - not a biggy, but the split display would be useful.

Model designation deletion - not because I'm shy, but because the badges don't seem very well attached, and apart from retaining dirty water, they wobble and feel like they are going to come off when washing the car.

Other than that, I'm loving it!
Regarding the model designation, give them 5 min hair dryer (Max temp) and they are gone... It's what I have done to my X1.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2016, 11:28 AM   #7
Les Paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Xline Auto

Definitely finding the adjustable speed warning chime useful...I've had it on last few cars but never needed it, as much as I do on the X1 ... the car just seems to get up to speed with so little fuss/effort/sensation. Had to notch the limit up a few times and turn the chime volume down a bit, to avoid feedback from the co driver ! Speed limit function is also much more useful than I had thought, especialy in city driving where there are so many speed cameras.
Appreciate 0