BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) headlights fake projector

01-16-2016, 06:05 AM   #1
Wisly
Private
Croatia
Rep
Drives: X1 18d

headlights fake projector

Has anyone noticed that in LED headlights only one projector works. Low and high light from one projector. The other one is fake ( the central one ).
I am fully satisfied with amount of light but what about that fake projector, is there a bulb in there, does it work with some upgraded equipment?
I don't have driver assist. My lights have adaptive cornering but no automatic high/low beam. In the manual this fake projector is called "design trim". I must say that I am a little dissapointed that both projectors are not functional.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
LSU Tiger Wes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i (F48)

With LED headlights yes, it is decorative. Twin bulb housings with the "halo" lights are a signature BMW design element.

Why are you disappointed if you acknowledge you are satisfied with the headlights?
Past: 1999 328i Sedan
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
Wisly
Private
Croatia
Rep

So that is it, no bulb in the fake housing.

Why I am dissapointed, first I thought that I have faulty lights, that something is not connected, because my 1 series BMW has all functional.

And maybe because I payed those LEDs more than 1000 euro extra, so I thought it will be fully functional. Although the light, low and high beam is great, together with side lights.

Do you know do new 3 and 5 series also have fake LED housings or they have everything functional ?

The other thing I am concerned is that with those LED lights I had to pay extra also for head lights sprinklers, it is a new thing for me, how do I turn on those sprinklers, where is the button, or it works automatic?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 11:27 AM   #4
TSiSPY007
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13 335i xDrive;16 X1;96 4G63T

I think the headlight sprinklers come on simultaneously with the windshield washer jets...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 11:38 AM   #5
Wisly
Private
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSiSPY007 View Post
I think the headlight sprinklers come on simultaneously with the windshield washer jets...
good point. I will try. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #6
pbjjj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1, Dark Olive/Mocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisly
So that is it, no bulb in the fake housing.

Why I am dissapointed, first I thought that I have faulty lights, that something is not connected, because my 1 series BMW has all functional.

And maybe because I payed those LEDs more than 1000 euro extra, so I thought it will be fully functional. Although the light, low and high beam is great, together with side lights.

Do you know do new 3 and 5 series also have fake LED housings or they have everything functional ?

The other thing I am concerned is that with those LED lights I had to pay extra also for head lights sprinklers, it is a new thing for me, how do I turn on those sprinklers, where is the button, or it works automatic?
I can understand your disappointment because i felt the same way when I discovered the same for my pre-LCI F30 3 series Xenon lights. For the LCI 3 series the LED light unit is different from the unit on X1. They have what BMW calls "Full LED headlights" that have LED lights in all 4 housing. In Europe the Full LED headlights provide adaptive and anti-dazzle high beam features, which are pretty cool, but I have read some owners' complaint about those lights don't light up the roads as far as Xenon lights do.

Maybe LCI X1 will get those full LED headlights.

The wiper washer mechanism works when you turn on windshield washer. Since US version of X1 doesn't have this feature, I can't confirm which of the 2 ways it works: in the older system the headlight washer works when you pull on the wiper stalk to turn on windshield washer for 2-3 seconds. The newer system works when you use the windshield washer a set number of times.. I have read that headlight washer comes on every 5 times you use windshield washer.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 04:25 PM   #7
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

Two things:

Pre-LCI f30 did not offer LED headlights. They only had xenon headlamps which used all four light projectors. My 14 328i had them. BMW LED headlights are different than xenons for several reasons. They don't have projectors like xenons do, instead rely on a shutter. They also have a much sharper cut-off line.

We don't have headlamp washers on the new X1 in the U.S. but in my previous BMW's the headlight washer was always activated after about the 12th or 13th windshield washer stalk pull. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 06:54 AM   #8
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

I have the headlights washer and can confirm they come on automatically once every 4~5 times when you pull the stalk towards you to use the windscreen washer. Low beam have to be switched on.

A word of warning though, the spray is quite powerful compared to the windscreen jet and you might get pedestrians or cars around you wet if you're behind a red light.

From the interactive iOS Driver's Guide:

Quote:
CLEANING THE WINDOW GLASS, HEADLIGHTS

Pull the wiper lever.

Fluid from the washer fluid reservoir is sprayed onto the windscreen and the wipers are operated briefly.

When the vehicle's lights are switched on, the headlights are also cleaned simultaneously at practical intervals.

Last edited by KPD; 01-17-2016 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 03:26 PM   #9
Jim761
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 2.5dmsport f48 X3 E83 ix3

LED lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisly View Post
Has anyone noticed that in LED headlights only one projector works. Low and high light from one projector. The other one is fake ( the central one ).
I am fully satisfied with amount of light but what about that fake projector, is there a bulb in there, does it work with some upgraded equipment?
I don't have driver assist. My lights have adaptive cornering but no automatic high/low beam. In the manual this fake projector is called "design trim". I must say that I am a little dissapointed that both projectors are not functional.
Hi I also have LED lights on f48 25Msport X1 ,I must say that I am disappointed with them the dip beam shines bright but main beam not so good as I also have a 2005 x3 3.0d took both cars to a quiet road I know and tested both cars on low and high beam and high beam was better on x3 with standard halogen H7 the spread was better. a friend has the new astra and to be honest they beat the x1 lights so on that I would not recommend buyers to waste there money on BMW LEDS at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 06:00 AM   #10
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisly View Post
yup i noticed it today on my wifes x1, the inner projector doesnt light up. But on all other models, all 4 light up.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 08:58 PM   #11
pabloinspain
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 F48 Xline 2.0i auto

Just had my new 2018/19 X1 a week now. Was really disappointed with my LED headlamp array. Two blank/decorative headlamps? I feel like I've been ripped off to be honest. I chopped my 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium X 2.0D for the X1 and was willing to make a few concessions to go back to BMW. But really, two dummy head lamps? THE KUGA had Bi Xenons and I have to say they were good, VERY VERY GOOD. So I guess the reality is rather than design a truly acceptable LED four lamp system like Ford, BMW cut their losses and saved money, big time. No, I don't want to go back to FORD but please will someone tell BMW to give us what we paid for! At least what we perceived to pay for..
Happy motoring ;-)
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 08:35 AM   #12
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW. X1 f48. 20i xLine xDrive

I have recently acquired my F48. 20i xLine X drive and must sat the headlights are no improvement on the bi- zenons I had previously on the E84 , the new one also lacks Autodipping and head-washers.
Appreciate 0