F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Driving Skill course
Studio RSR

01-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #1
TB_330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 F30 330i Tanzanite Blue

Driving Skill course

Has anybody attended performance driving course before? I'm interested in doing one mainly to feel more confident I can deal with hairy situations on the road as well as it being a fun day out!

The two I've looked at so far are Don Palmer and Car Limits. Any others people have done? Germany and America have M Driving School - do we have anything like that here?

Any information would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 11:36 AM   #2
charge_hopper
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d

If bringing on your road driving is the main goal then I can recommend a couple of people, both retired police driving instructors.

http://d11advanceddrivertraining.co.uk was £180 for a day's driving. Incredibly good day and lots of fun, he really brought on my driving. He also drives an F30!

http://www.advanceddrivingtraining.co.uk I haven't done this one yet but am booked in at the end of the month. He taught the royal princes to drive so can't be too shabby.

You don't necessarily have to drive like a police driver after doing these but you will learn how to travel safely while making progress and not attracting too much unwanted attention. In my opinion, days like these are well worth the money and are thoroughly enjoyable while getting to improve your driving no end.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 11:57 AM   #3
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc90 View Post
If bringing on your road driving is the main goal then I can recommend a couple of people, both retired police driving instructors.

http://d11advanceddrivertraining.co.uk was £180 for a day's driving. Incredibly good day and lots of fun, he really brought on my driving. He also drives an F30!
This video is amazing, a great deal of skill here: http://d11advanceddrivertraining.co.uk/the-skills/
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 12:03 PM   #4
rocketretro
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M235i Coupe

Garage List
and there are problems on the production of Top Gear because Chris Evans can't talk whilst driving.......
      01-06-2016, 03:25 PM   #5
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I've done defensive driving courses before with ex plod drivers, and they are really good and not what you think in terms of "staid" driving, what they teach helps you make better progress and I have found the safety advice very insightful as well.

I too though would like to go on a Don Palmer style course to better learn car control, I've done loads of Palmersport and Porsche days and while I learned a lot and always asked them to teach me stuff rather than shout Brake! Power! etc....it's not the same as that one to one stuff Don does.
      01-07-2016, 03:16 PM   #6
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_330i View Post
Has anybody attended performance driving course before? I'm interested in doing one mainly to feel more confident I can deal with hairy situations on the road as well as it being a fun day out!

The two I've looked at so far are Don Palmer and Car Limits. Any others people have done? Germany and America have M Driving School - do we have anything like that here?

Any information would be appreciated!
I've done quite a few days with Car Limits. Known the owner Andy Walsh for God knows how many years now (getting worryingly close to 20). He's annoying talented and absolutely no question you'll learn a lot on one of his days.

Did a Don Palmer day a long time ago as well when I had my Caterham. Was very informative but totally different - more about road craft and reading the road than actual car control. Again, taught me a great deal.

Don't think you can go wrong with either.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 01:51 AM   #7
TB_330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 F30 330i Tanzanite Blue

Thanks all - useful feedback and looks like it's worth doing one of these. I'm tempted to club together with a few of my friends and do a Car Limits day this summer. Probably will be good to do a road based one as well - that demo video cutting through London is amazing!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 03:45 AM   #8
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep
Drives: Myself crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_330i View Post
Thanks all - useful feedback and looks like it's worth doing one of these. I'm tempted to club together with a few of my friends and do a Car Limits day this summer. Probably will be good to do a road based one as well - that demo video cutting through London is amazing!
Blue lights certainly help in situations like that, but you would be surprised by just how many people do not see them and how some people react, makes you wonder how they got their licences.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2016, 03:52 AM   #9
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

If you want something more like the US BMW driving school I think Mercedes hold an AMG event which involves skid pans, etc.

Having had a lot of on road driver training by either ex-Police or ex-driving examiners (previous employment), I can vouch that you will learn a heck of a lot in a short space of time.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2016, 05:54 AM   #10
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

It also worth considering getting involved in the following.

http://www.roadar.org/drivers/index.htm

It is a worthwhile method of improving your overall skills or at least having them assessed.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 07:57 AM   #11
charge_hopper
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
It also worth considering getting involved in the following.

http://www.roadar.org/drivers/index.htm

It is a worthwhile method of improving your overall skills or at least having them assessed.
I agree but beware that many groups have a long waiting list and very few instructors. You could easily be waiting over 6 months before you have a tutor allocated. I'm still waiting which is why I've explored other avenues in the meantime.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 08:21 AM   #12
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc90 View Post
I agree but beware that many groups have a long waiting list and very few instructors. You could easily be waiting over 6 months before you have a tutor allocated. I'm still waiting which is why I've explored other avenues in the meantime.
Have you tried Cadence, they operate Cambridge area.
Appreciate 0