THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Thoughts on partial xpel clear bra?

01-04-2016, 08:30 AM   #1
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Thoughts on partial xpel clear bra?

I got a quote from a local installer for a partial or full front end install. $700 vs $1,200 respectively. I'm thinking of going with the partial but I have a couple of concerns. Is the partial going to be enough protection even though it would require a pretty unlucky angle for a rock to hit the unprotected portions? Secondly, will I see the line where the clear bra ends on a mineral white car? I'm thinking that I would not see it, but it'll annoy me to no end if I do.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 08:57 AM   #2
tbonez3858
Private
Rep
Drives: Car

I have the full expel front and glad I spent the extra money....

Im not a pessimist but I feel, at times, the universe likes to screw with us while it sits backs and laughs. If you get the partial coverage plan on getting a rock chip just outside of the coverage area....

I have a mineral gray car and my understanding is that dark colors are the worst for showing "orange peel" and lines from expel. Its virtually impossible to see the lines on my car and you have to be inches away to notice the car has a covering. White will be even better...If you do partial and the expel yellows at all you may wish you had full coverage..

Expel is well worth the money in my opinion.

Last edited by tbonez3858; 01-04-2016 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 09:31 AM   #3
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i red convertible

Define "partial"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
I got a quote from a local installer for a partial or full front end install. $700 vs $1,200 respectively. I'm thinking of going with the partial but I have a couple of concerns. Is the partial going to be enough protection even though it would require a pretty unlucky angle for a rock to hit the unprotected portions? Secondly, will I see the line where the clear bra ends on a mineral white car? I'm thinking that I would not see it, but it'll annoy me to no end if I do.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I assume you are getting the entire front bumper and a partial on the hood and fenders. The partial fenders will protect you from rock chips but door dings are likely on the back half of the wheel sill. Most cars get 99% of the rock chips on the hood in the first 19" or so. The exceptions are cars like my Audi TT that has a low hood (about 6" lower than my 128).

Rock chips are also dependent on how/where you drive. I do a lot of high speed (85mph+) freeway driving in the rural west and participate in high speed group drives over the back country. At that speed, any small pebble hits the car like a bullet. My dark blue TT's front end looks like it's been hit with a shotgun.

Color is also a factor since chips are not as visible on a white or silver car. IMO you will average no more 1 chip per year on the hood beyond 19" on a 2. My wife has a light silver MB E350 with a partial Xpel and there are no hood chips after 1.5 years.

I am very pleased with the Xpel and highkly recommend it. I wanted to get it on my TT but circumstances precluded it and I regret it.

You will always see the partial line on the hood at certain angles/lighting. It is virtually invisible to the casual observer but the owner can always see it.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

I paid $995 for Xpel for half hood, fenders, full fascia, mirror caps, lamps. I often find I lose sight of the edge and when I'm washing sometimes have to look a bit more closely, as you need to not wash against the edges. In photos, it does disappear, but if you search for it in person, you can find it, but sometimes have to re-orient your line of sight to catch it, depending on the lighting. It may vary on different colors, but with Valencia Orange, it is virtually invisible.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 01:41 PM   #5
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys. The quote is for the full front bumper, partial hood and partial fenders. I'd also have them do the door handle cups. I figure if I really want to I can have them do a full hood and fenders at a later date. Idk. :/

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 01:46 PM   #6
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys. The quote is for the full front bumper, partial hood and partial fenders. I'd also have them do the door handle cups. I figure if I really want to I can have them do a full hood and fenders at a later date. Idk. :/
Strongly suggest including head/fog lamps, given the replacement costs. Mirror caps (if painted) are also a minor addition, but quite exposed.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 03:11 PM   #7
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Strongly suggest including head/fog lamps, given the replacement costs. Mirror caps (if painted) are also a minor addition, but quite exposed.
Hmm, good point about headlights. I intend on replacing the mirror caps, so I'm not too worried about those.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 07:26 AM   #8
chemh0ser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235ix Mineral Grey

I went with full front bumper, full hood, front fenders, headlights and mirror caps and I have no regrets. I went with the full because I did not want to see any lines. I am happy with my decision. For all this it came to $1680.
2015 ///M235iX | Mineral Grey | Dakota Black | Premium | Tech | Cold | Driver Ast | HK Sound | Black Kidney Grilles | M-Performance Exhaust | Front Splitter | Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps, Rear Spoiler and Exhaust Finishers
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 07:54 AM   #9
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemh0ser View Post
I went with full front bumper, full hood, front fenders, headlights and mirror caps and I have no regrets. I went with the full because I did not want to see any lines. I am happy with my decision. For all this it came to $1680.
Hmm, i must be getting a good deal. Local shop quoted me $1,200 for the same thing.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #10
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Quote:
I'd also have them do the door handle cups.
What a great idea! Wish I had thought of that.

Here in north Jersey I paid $1000 for the full front fascia, partial hood, partial fenders, headlight covers, mirror caps, and the top of the rear bumper cover (so it does not get scratched when loading and unloading the trunk.) I got 3 quotes. They were all within a tight range.

You can see the edge, but only if you are looking for it. Does not bother me one bit.

Our 12 year old Porsche Carrera has the partial hood and fenders protected. Perhaps we have been lucky, but in 50k miles we've had no chips on the untreated portions of the hood and fenders.

For comparison purposes, we also have an 11 year old Mercedes SLK with no protection other than the headlights and foglights, and after 70k miles, yeah, there's lots of chips, the vast majority being very minor, but noticeable on a black car. Unfortunately at the time we bought the car we overlooked having it protected, and installed the lamp cover protection only after having two foglight lenses cracked (they sit VERY low on this car).
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #11
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I'm thinking of going ahead with the full just because it seems like it's a great price. I probably won't need it, but knowing my luck i'll get the magical rock that hits right above the line where the partial ends. Thanks for the help guys.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 01:51 AM   #12
snaketh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

How resilient is X-pel? I've seen marketing vids but you never know if they cheat some. Does it prevent pretty much all stone chips? I'd imagine it would based on the cost. Also if you get half the hood done but then removed at a later date, would there be a line or a noticeable tone difference?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 03:02 AM   #13
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaketh View Post
How resilient is X-pel? I've seen marketing vids but you never know if they cheat some. Does it prevent pretty much all stone chips? I'd imagine it would based on the cost. Also if you get half the hood done but then removed at a later date, would there be a line or a noticeable tone difference?
VERY resilient. I have it on ALL my cars and chips are a thing of the past. (The oldest example of Xpel I have on a current car is 5 years and the newest one year.) That said, I have a couple of impact imperfections on the film of one of my cars that is tracked, but no paint damage. So I know it can really take punishment. There is no fading from extended half-hood use and removal. Been through that scenario as well.

I've been an Xpel customer for over 10 years. Good product and the technology just keeps getting better. Choosing a talented installer is important, especially for the details of wrapping edges and using custom shapes rather than solely relying on precut templates. Research the installer and see his work in advance. It's a huge investment. Don't use the low baller for the most important part!

Oh, and if you can afford to get the whole hood done, do it. You'll be glad you did.
      01-09-2016, 06:20 AM   #14
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

I have had it on a 12-year-old Porsche 911 since it was new, and I am very satisfied… Works as advertised. My hood is only partially protected, but I can't tell you if it would be noticeable if I removed it, as I have never had it off.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 06:54 AM   #15
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

I've had 3M, Autobahnd & Expel. Autobahnd is definitely the thinnest but tends to discolor slightly after a year or so. 3M and Expel are on par with the 3M being slightly thicker. Neither had discolored on me although all vehicles have been garaged. I'm in RI and the sand the roads from December to February. I've always had the kits that cover front bumper, partial hood, partial fenders and mirror caps - never had an issue. If you daily drive a car you're going to get chips, scratches and other blemishes I think a full kit is overkill.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 12:33 AM   #16
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEUE02 View Post
VERY resilient. I have it on ALL my cars and chips are a thing of the past. (The oldest example of Xpel I have on a current car is 5 years and the newest one year.) That said, I have a couple of impact imperfections on the film of one of my cars that is tracked, but no paint damage. So I know it can really take punishment. There is no fading from extended half-hood use and removal. Been through that scenario as well.

I've been an Xpel customer for over 10 years. Good product and the technology just keeps getting better. Choosing a talented installer is important, especially for the details of wrapping edges and using custom shapes rather than solely relying on precut templates. Research the installer and see his work in advance. It's a huge investment. Don't use the low baller for the most important part!

Oh, and if you can afford to get the whole hood done, do it. You'll be glad you did.
The local guy here in Charleston has done "thousands of BMW's" according to their site. He's been installing for a decade now. The pics on their site look legit. The issue is that I'd have to drive the 4 hours home from PCD and then get it there the next day. With my luck i'll get all kinds of rocks on the way home with all of the construction going on on I26.

There's an installer 15 mins away from the PCD center. They have done a ton of BMW's and even do the PCD cars. They want $900 for a partial. I would take the car immediately to them after PCD and then stay an extra night while they have the car. They'll shuttle me back to the hotel and the hotel will take me back.

Both use Xpel Ultimate. So the question is do I chance driving home it home to pay less for the same product or do I pay the higher price plus the cost of a room. I honestly don't know which way I lean right now.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 01:06 AM   #17
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Both use Xpel Ultimate. So the question is do I chance driving home it home to pay less for the same product or do I pay the higher price plus the cost of a room. I honestly don't know which way I lean right now.
Drive it home. On numerous occasions I have made my own not-quite-so-clear bras from 3M tape to get me safely home.

At the dealer...

On the road...

Home safe!
      01-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #18
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I was wrong I called the local installer and they've actually switched to 3M. That explains the huge price difference. Now I have to decide which film I would like to use. I just can't swing the full xpel install right now, so if I go xpel it would be partial. If I go 3M it'll be full.
Appreciate 0