E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Front Indicator Failure (Latest)

12-29-2015, 11:47 AM   #1
jharar
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F40 M135i xdrive.

Front Indicator Failure (Latest)

HI

I have BMW E90 2011 Lci Model with Xenon LED Package..
Today all of sudden my right hand side indicator stopped working, On the dash it was flashing very fast after inspecting i found the front driver side is not working anymore.

I have got Carly BMW Software , So diagnosed it came up with message.

Direction Indicators Broken Right Front 00A8B1..

I contacted my local BMW Dealer they said i have to buy the whole LED cluster £160..

Anyone experienced this or is there anything i can do..?
As it's the front indicator has to be done anyway i can avoid visit to the dealer.

thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by jharar; 01-19-2016 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
CrippledLucifer
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 328i 6MT, '16 F10 535i

Garage List
2016 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
You probably need a new LED turn signal cluster. I think the part number for your vehicle is 63127245814. Plug in your VIN on RealOEM and check the lighting page to confirm. I used an E90 320d manufactured in May 2011 to check but inputting your VIN will give you a much more accurate result.

If you're still under factory warranty, your dealership should replace it free of charge.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 11:59 AM   #3
jharar
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Sadly.... No warranty left..

That's what i thought i need the indicator cluster, but are they not suppose to last long my car is only 4 years old.

May be it's just my luck..
Is it best to buy the cluster from them and fit it by myself, I hope it does not require any coding..
If i fit it myself it's not that hard but dealer probably will charge labour of arm and a leg.. Lol

Last edited by jharar; 12-29-2015 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 09:48 PM   #4
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

It's not difficult. You take off your rim. Remove fender liner and you'll have access to the side led cluster.

In my case I replaced it on e92 lci have symptom of dim indicator turns out it's something else perhaps a indicator module.

So it can by either your led cluster or your led module

But both jobs are not difficult to do

Once you have the right part number you can enter it in on any part store to order online
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 07:42 AM   #5
jharar
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

As you know my front indicator was not working booked my car with BMW, I asked them to replace my front led indicator yesterday they came came back saying we checked the led indicator that's not faulty so we have the do the scan to find out the problem , I said fine do it..
I left the car with them for a day, later on I got phone call saying module is faulty which has caused this problem all in will cost me around £630...

When I asked for discount she said ok let me have a look what I can do she turned said ok I can do it for £500 all in, I said go ahead do it she said we have to order the part that will cure the adaptive headlight problem as well..

Today when I picked the car up she said all done price is sorted even further £430.00 I was happy, but she said adaptive headlight is still showing failure in I drive , so we have to have a look when the electricians are back next week..

I wasn't happy but didn't had much choice when I paid checked the part number online that's for led cluster not for the module she was on about.. Phones back but she left as its New Year's Eve they were closing early..

I'm going to make complaint as they said to me they are changing the module which will cure the problem of indicator and adaptive headlight..

Shall I wait for her to come back on Monday or shall I drop a email with a complaint to BMW headquarters for Misleading me..

I'm sure all phone calls are recorded on there system where she did mention to me about the module which will cure all the problems, just in case they try to ask for money next time..

Anyone else had any problems with main dealers..??

She mentioned that I have got discount but in the invoice it doesn't show at all..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 12:58 PM   #6
CrippledLucifer
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharar View Post
As you know my front indicator was not working booked my car with BMW, I asked them to replace my front led indicator yesterday they came came back saying we checked the led indicator that's not faulty so we have the do the scan to find out the problem , I said fine do it..
I left the car with them for a day, later on I got phone call saying module is faulty which has caused this problem all in will cost me around £630...

When I asked for discount she said ok let me have a look what I can do she turned said ok I can do it for £500 all in, I said go ahead do it she said we have to order the part that will cure the adaptive headlight problem as well..

Today when I picked the car up she said all done price is sorted even further £430.00 I was happy, but she said adaptive headlight is still showing failure in I drive , so we have to have a look when the electricians are back next week..

I wasn't happy but didn't had much choice when I paid checked the part number online that's for led cluster not for the module she was on about.. Phones back but she left as its New Year's Eve they were closing early..

I'm going to make complaint as they said to me they are changing the module which will cure the problem of indicator and adaptive headlight..

Shall I wait for her to come back on Monday or shall I drop a email with a complaint to BMW headquarters for Misleading me..

I'm sure all phone calls are recorded on there system where she did mention to me about the module which will cure all the problems, just in case they try to ask for money next time..

Anyone else had any problems with main dealers..??

She mentioned that I have got discount but in the invoice it doesn't show at all..
Dealerships are always a pain in the ass to deal with. It could be a simple misunderstanding or a full blown attempt to swindle you for cash. You should contact the upper management at the dealership before writing to BMW directly. See if the management can sort it out first. In my case here in Canada, I've had luck with speaking directly to the service manager. It's worth a shot especially if it saves you some unnecessary bickering with the service advisors along with unnecessary expenditures.

As for the discount, have you already paid the invoice? If you have, you should have read over it entirely before paying. After all, dealerships are colloquially called stealerships for a reason. Speak about this with the service manager and have him/her confirm with the service advisor about said discount. It might just be a simple oversight.

The timing is awful because of New Years, but give them a call on Monday or better yet if you have the time pass by as I've found being there in person yields better responses.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
dannyjones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i M-Sport

Never, ever, go to a dealership out of warranty. I learnt the hard way with $700 all in for a replacement battery...!!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #8
jharar
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Well...

Today my car was booked in by BMW i got there on time while i was waiting i was asked to leave the keys, Where originally i promised they will drop me home. Never mind train station is not far away from them.

Till 1'o clock i didn't hear anything from them when i called them twice receptionist said Katrina who originally is dealing with my car is away from her desk.

Around 2 i get a call saying we cant scan your car as its got after market switch fitted i explained them where it is so they can scan it , I cant understand how did they manage on that day, They didn't even ask at that time.

Anyway long story short , now they are saying they have to investigate further to find out the cause for Adaptive headlight Failure, Which involves further cost.

I said why was i promised at that time the cost i am paying includes all supplied and fitted.

they didn't had anything to say..

Now they are dropping my car off...

they will look some other time what they can do.

Which i doubt it very much..

I just had a word with one of the manager, i even asked me how come originally i was quoted £650.00 then discounted down to £500 and at the time of paying i was only charged £430 saying i have been given even further discount but on the invoice all shows full original prices so i was given wrong price on the first place then charged the real prices just to show that I'm getting big discount..

once i said that he didn't had anything to say..

Shall i make the complaint to BMW Headquarters in Bracknell

Advise please.

Last edited by jharar; 01-08-2016 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 10:34 PM   #9
CrippledLucifer
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharar View Post
Well...

Today my car was booked in by BMW i got there on time while i was waiting i was asked to leave the keys, Where originally i promised they will drop me home. Never mind train station is not far away from them.

Till 1'o clock i didn't hear anything from them when i called them twice receptionist said Katrina who originally is dealing with my car is away from her desk.

Around 2 i get a call saying we cant scan your car as its got after market switch fitted i explained them where it is so they can scan it , I cant understand how did they manage on that day, They didn't even ask at that time.

Anyway long story short , now they are saying they have to investigate further to find out the cause for Adaptive headlight Failure, Which involves further cost.

I said why was i promised at that time the cost i am paying includes all supplied and fitted.

they didn't had anything to say..

Now they are dropping my car off...

they will look some other time what they can do.

Which i doubt it very much..

I just had a word with one of the manager, i even asked me how come originally i was quoted £650.00 then discounted down to £500 and at the time of paying i was only charged £430 saying i have been given even further discount but on the invoice all shows full original prices so i was given wrong price on the first place then charged the real prices just to show that I'm getting big discount..

once i said that he didn't had anything to say..

Shall i make the complaint to BMW Headquarters in Bracknell

Advise please.
Like I said dealerships are a pain in the ass. The whole aftermarket thing is bullshit and more than likely a ploy to increase labor time. You're correct when you ask why they didn't mention this the first time around. Have you mentioned this fact to the service manager? Keep in mind service advisors generally don't know diddly squat about the cars or how they work. The argument can also be made for the so called "BMW technicians", but I digress.

Regardless, my local dealership tried something similar on me once. Long story short, on my E46 they activated the clown nose blink and in turn disabled the auto locking of doors when driving away. When I asked them why this was happening, the service advisor informed that I had an aftermarket stereo and that it would require pulling the entire head unit out and tearing off all the door trims to fix the door locks. All in all, they were quoting me $900 including taxes for a simple CODING that would take mere seconds.

I immediately contacted BMW Canada and told them how a dealership of a premium automobile manufacturer could commit what is basically daylight robbery. I had a reply within three hours that they were investigating into this. Eventually, the service manager called me up personally and apologized and offered to complete the work for free and provide me with a newer BMW loaner for the long weekend.

In your case, I suggest you do the same thing I did. Contact your regional BMW headquarters and write a strongly worded email. If you can get a hold of them via phone, even better. Explain the ENTIRE situation but don't get too rash. I know it's extremely annoying and very stressful, but in the end if you can save unnecessary spending, it's worth it.

In the future, as you're no longer under warranty, don't take your car into the dealership unless absolutely necessary. Find a reputable indy mechanic who specializes in BMW and take your car in there. You'll often times get cheaper labor rates and an overall better service experience.

Let us know what happens next. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 08:02 AM   #10
jharar
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Latest....

My car was booked in at BMW Dealership..
They wanted to rectify everything.
Car went in around 2:30 i get a phone call from BMW saying headlight is faulty so they need to replace the entire headlight unit..

Cost of new Adaptive Headlight £1250
Labour charges Approx £250
Coding they said will take approx 2 hours

Looking around £1900 all in..... All i said Ouch..

He turned around and said don't worry BMW is taking care of everything, you just come around 5:30 to collect the car..

I got there around 5:15 car was ready everything sorted , but just realized the headlight is not aiming the beam straight so have to contact BMW again regarding that as it needs to be aligned..

So all sorted...

As they say you don't ask you don't get..
jharar is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Appreciate 0