F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Home Instead Home Care
Studio RSR

12-27-2015, 01:18 PM   #1
Finchley
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 330d MSport LCI

Home Instead Home Care

Having spent Christmas with my 86 yo father - and living 100 miles away - I realise I need to arrange more care/support for him. Anyone got experience of using carers through Home Instead or similar?
Thanks for any advice.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
Herr Dreier
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G31 540i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finchley View Post
Having spent Christmas with my 86 yo father - and living 100 miles away - I realise I need to arrange more care/support for him. Anyone got experience of using carers through Home Instead or similar?
Thanks for any advice.
The Care Quality Commission is the "Ofsted" of the Care world. It's the best place to get an overview of all/any care service. Care providers are legally obliged to register with the CQC, so avoid anyone that isn't CQC registered.

Go here: http://www.cqc.org.uk/

Pick "Services in your home", enter postcode, etc.

It will give you a list of all providers in the near area. You can read the inspection reports and get a good insight into the provider.

You can also get some assistance from your local authority. Many local authorities will provide some assistance (all or part funded depending on value of assets). However, be careful as many Local Authorities will mark-up the price so you may still be better off going directly with a private arrangement directly with the care provider.

In any case, the local authority may also be able to give you a list of providers that they use (and they generally do extra checking, so worth using alongside the CQC reports).

Things to look out for: Many agencies are crap at scheduling, so you never know what time you are getting for the carer to turn up. Providers that send you a weekly schedule telling you what time and who is coming are generally better as you have something to hold them to.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
Finchley
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 330d MSport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Drier View Post
The Care Quality Commission is the "Ofsted" of the Care world. It's the best place to get an overview of all/any care service. Care providers are legally obliged to register with the CQC, so avoid anyone that isn't CQC registered.

Go here: http://www.cqc.org.uk/

Pick "Services in your home", enter postcode, etc.

It will give you a list of all providers in the near area. You can read the inspection reports and get a good insight into the provider.

You can also get some assistance from your local authority. Many local authorities will provide some assistance (all or part funded depending on value of assets). However, be careful as many Local Authorities will mark-up the price so you may still be better off going directly with a private arrangement directly with the care provider.

In any case, the local authority may also be able to give you a list of providers that they use (and they generally do extra checking, so worth using alongside the CQC reports).

Things to look out for: Many agencies are crap at scheduling, so you never know what time you are getting for the carer to turn up. Providers that send you a weekly schedule telling you what time and who is coming are generally better as you have something to hold them to.

Hope this helps.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0