EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

12-26-2015, 05:06 AM   #1
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Xdrive

Track day car

Hey Guys,

I am considering another track day car, after owning a manual e46 M3 for several years and doing plenty of track days at the island i am ready to get back into another M3 of some description.

I have been considering either of the following 2 cars:

1. E92 Manual M3
2. F80 M3 DCT

Has any one heard of any issues with the new f80 m3 after a track day or 2 ?

I know there is a big price difference between the 2 cars, I have been trying to weigh up if it is worth spending the extra on a new f80 m3 as a track day toy.

Just wanting to go do some club days and have some fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 06:06 AM   #2
worth1t
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlux View Post
Hey Guys,

I am considering another track day car, after owning a manual e46 M3 for several years and doing plenty of track days at the island i am ready to get back into another M3 of some description.

I have been considering either of the following 2 cars:

1. E92 Manual M3
2. F80 M3 DCT

Has any one heard of any issues with the new f80 m3 after a track day or 2 ?

I know there is a big price difference between the 2 cars, I have been trying to weigh up if it is worth spending the extra on a new f80 m3 as a track day toy.

Just wanting to go do some club days and have some fun.
Hi,

I tracked my F80 M3 DCT for a double stint (morning & afternoon sessions) on a hot summers day at QR and it performed amazingly. In the afternoon I was passing Porsche's and people were coming up to me after asking what I had done to it. Amazingly impressive car - the front-end grip is absolutely amazing! Set of 18's with some race tyres and track pads and you'll go all year!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 02:51 PM   #3
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth1t View Post
Hi,

I tracked my F80 M3 DCT for a double stint (morning & afternoon sessions) on a hot summers day at QR and it performed amazingly. In the afternoon I was passing Porsche's and people were coming up to me after asking what I had done to it. Amazingly impressive car - the front-end grip is absolutely amazing! Set of 18's with some race tyres and track pads and you'll go all year!
hey mate,

I am actually looking at buying a car from Queensland and bringing it back to Melbourne.

Do you have your car tuned at all? or just standard power? Did it over heat after a few laps on the heat?

i am guessing the car has had no major issues after a couple of track days?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #4
worth1t
Enlisted Member
Rep

Car is stock standard but in Sports Plus throttle mode the engine fan is forced on and I saw engine temps lower than what I would on the street (lots of forced air too). Car is a weapon! Upgrade to track pads and sticker tyres and you've got a 1.00 lap time at QR
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #5
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Car is stock standard but in Sports Plus throttle mode the engine fan is forced on and I saw engine temps lower than what I would on the street (lots of forced air too). Car is a weapon! Upgrade to track pads and sticker tyres and you've got a 1.00 lap time at QR
i will be doing my of my track days at phillip island. I think i am pretty much convinced now that the f80 is the way to go.

Do you use your car as a daily also? or is it just a weekend toy for you?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 11:10 PM   #6
worth1t
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
i will be doing my of my track days at phillip island. I think i am pretty much convinced now that the f80 is the way to go.

Do you use your car as a daily also? or is it just a weekend toy for you?
It's my daily... I do about 30,000 km's a year in it. It's the perfect all-rounder. Otherwise I think I would have bought a Golf R for a daily and a Carrera Cup car for a racecar (same money).
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 11:38 PM   #7
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's my daily... I do about 30,000 km's a year in it. It's the perfect all-rounder. Otherwise I think I would have bought a Golf R for a daily and a Carrera Cup car for a racecar (same money).
yeah fair enough,

I just bought a new c63s as my daily. The M3 is definitely the weekend toy!

Sisters husband has and F80, the 2 cars are nothing a like! I would have a hard time choosing if i could only have one! The M3 is a seriously fun car.

Like i said i want to get back into some track days, i was looking at a cup car myself, i just decided i don't want a full blown race car atm! I am after some fun but nothing to full on.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 02:38 AM   #8
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

Hi,

The cooling on the F80 is seriously over engineered, and is a huge step up from what BMW have done on any other street cars (with the exception of current M5/6 which is similar). The water temps, oil temp and intake temps are very stable and well controlled on the track, unlike many other common tracked beemers.

The biggest step up though is in the chassis, suspension and vehicle dynamics. This is in a different league to E90/92.

Steel brakes are also surprisingly good out of the box.

However, for half the price of an F80 you can buy some seriously fast and street registered track day toy cars. Alternatively buy a dedicated race car with a tow vehicle, trailer, lots of parts and have some cash left over!

Btw for background, my wifes car is F82 so I only drive it on the track occasionally, mainly drive diedicated race or tarmac rally cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 03:02 AM   #9
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo mcs View Post
Hi,

The cooling on the F80 is seriously over engineered, and is a huge step up from what BMW have done on any other street cars (with the exception of current M5/6 which is similar). The water temps, oil temp and intake temps are very stable and well controlled on the track, unlike many other common tracked beemers.

The biggest step up though is in the chassis, suspension and vehicle dynamics. This is in a different league to E90/92.

Steel brakes are also surprisingly good out of the box.

However, for half the price of an F80 you can buy some seriously fast and street registered track day toy cars. Alternatively buy a dedicated race car with a tow vehicle, trailer, lots of parts and have some cash left over!

Btw for background, my wifes car is F82 so I only drive it on the track occasionally, mainly drive diedicated race or tarmac rally cars.

Hey mate,

I have been looking at cup cars in the past 12 months, but like you said i think once your at cup car stage you really want to be door to door racing! That's what i would want to be doing anyway!

It is an expensive way to go about doing a few club days and so on, i was looking at a few road going porsche's but there is just something i love about the new M3!

I've had dedicated track cars i.e. EVO's and STi's in the past and most of the time they are very temperamental! I'd rather spend the money and just go flog the crap out of a new reliable fast street car.

Last edited by JL1; 12-27-2015 at 03:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 01:25 AM   #10
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

Are there any issues with the F80 standard pads on steel rotors and heavy track use, regarding deposits being left on the rotors resulting in shuddering afterwards. Fix was to get rotors machined, use an abrasive pad to clean rotor or put up with it for 500-1000km until the deposits wore away.

I had this problem on my E46 which I know has nowhere near the brakes of the new one. But just curious to know if the standard pads are ok for 15min intervals of hard abuse at the track
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 03:43 PM   #11
worth1t
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazey82 View Post
Are there any issues with the F80 standard pads on steel rotors and heavy track use, regarding deposits being left on the rotors resulting in shuddering afterwards. Fix was to get rotors machined, use an abrasive pad to clean rotor or put up with it for 500-1000km until the deposits wore away.

I had this problem on my E46 which I know has nowhere near the brakes of the new one. But just curious to know if the standard pads are ok for 15min intervals of hard abuse at the track
Yeah, I had this problem. Shuddering went away after a couple of weeks normal usage. I did do a double stint though (am & pm) so probably close to 100 laps and I used my brakes HARD! They performed extraordinarily well though - I would just upgrade the fluid at a minimum
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2015, 03:55 PM   #12
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I had this problem. Shuddering went away after a couple of weeks normal usage. I did do a double stint though (am & pm) so probably close to 100 laps and I used my brakes HARD! They performed extraordinarily well though - I would just upgrade the fluid at a minimum

Hey mate,

Do you have m3 or m4? So you reakon upgrade the brake fluid, What fluid are you running instead of standard? and are you using different pads? if so which pads?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 06:28 PM   #13
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

I was in a similar position a few years ago, and ended up building up a 135i into a road registered track car. Costs me an arm and a leg in the end. I went to GT3s later and of course not having insurance on such an expensive car on the track can be scary whenever you hear of people writing their cars off. Nowadays I just buy cheaper road legal track cars like the Megane Trophy-R. So much fun for relatively little money. But if you are insisting on something like a M3, perhaps go all the way and get a gT4! Great investment too unlike M3 that will depreciate very quickly.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 03:13 AM   #14
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
I was in a similar position a few years ago, and ended up building up a 135i into a road registered track car. Costs me an arm and a leg in the end. I went to GT3s later and of course not having insurance on such an expensive car on the track can be scary whenever you hear of people writing their cars off. Nowadays I just buy cheaper road legal track cars like the Megane Trophy-R. So much fun for relatively little money. But if you are insisting on something like a M3, perhaps go all the way and get a gT4! Great investment too unlike M3 that will depreciate very quickly.

Didn't think you could buy an M4 GTS ? thought they where all sold ? And they will be stupid $$$!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 04:51 AM   #15
worth1t
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Hey mate,

Do you have m3 or m4? So you reakon upgrade the brake fluid, What fluid are you running instead of standard? and are you using different pads? if so which pads?
M3. I didn't upgrade the fluid so by the final run I was getting the brake pedal going to the floor. I'd use something like Motul M800. Not sure what pads I'll run yet...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 05:13 AM   #16
stranger
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I'm running castrol srf with pagid rs29 the brakes are now a lot better

I had no fade during my 20 mins sessions at the last track event. I'll have better feedback once I get back to brands hatch Which is harder on the brakes
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 06:11 AM   #17
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Guys,

I'm officially looking at Career cup cars as a track car, they are great value at between 60k- 90k.

Might do the odd track day in the m3 still, however i want to get serious and get into some real door to door racing.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 06:19 AM   #18
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Didn't think you could buy an M4 GTS ? thought they where all sold ? And they will be stupid $$$!
No, Porsche GT4.

As for Cup cars, I hope you researched the maintenance costs...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 01:58 AM   #19
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY
Quote:
No, Porsche GT4.

As for Cup cars, I hope you researched the maintenance costs...
+1.

997.1 GT3 should be similar money and just as tractable on the roads - on the track, it's a whole new level. M3 may match it for speed but not feel.

Exige 260 Cup is cheaper and would be my choice.
      02-04-2016, 12:23 AM   #20
Explicit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Germany & Japan

Bit late to the convo, but the only issue I think that might rear its head on an F80 is heat soak on the water to air intercooling system. I know the GTS has a water injection system added to combat this. Be interesting to see how many hot laps you could do before the charge cool system starts soaking.
www.racewars.com.au
Appreciate 0