F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Advice regarding 330i Sedan LCI Options
Studio RSR

12-25-2015, 08:34 PM   #1
4 Cats
Rep
Drives: e46 2004 325i Sedan

Advice regarding 330i Sedan LCI Options

I am looking to update my current BMW 325i, which is 11 years old, within the next few weeks with either a Luxury Line 330i Sedan or M Sport 330i Sedan. Next week I will have a longer back to back test drive of both these cars.
I have a number of questions regarding the options.

1. The adaptive LED lights (for the 330i) are only available combined with Sun Protection Glazing (30% factory fitted tinting) in the 'Visibility Package'. The RACV does not recommend window tinting. I am concerned that at nighttime my rear visibility will be significantly reduced because of the combination of tinted rear window and anti-dazzle interior and exterior mirrors. What are people's experiences with nighttime driving with tinted windows?

2. Regarding Sports Seats. I have had a short test drive with them. I am concerned that with a prolonged drive or during hot days, the side bolsters (even if fully deflated) will make one feel more uncomfortable and increase the risk of sweating. What are people's experiences so far in Australia.

3. Regarding the M Sport Steering Wheel. My dealer has offered to include it in the Luxury Line for AUS $1,500. In Germany it can be added for between 100 -200 Euro and in NZ $500. Is the M Sport Steering Wheel so much better than the regular Sport Steering Wheel, to be worth $1,500.

4. Regarding 'Seal and Protect' accessory, which is a dealer fitted paint and interior trim protective coating. Does anyone know its cost, whether its worth it or if it is preferable to have the exterior car paint protected independently of the dealer?

5. Regarding the BMW Dash Cam 'Advanced Car Eye' accessory. Has anyone in Australia purchased it, does it function satisfactorily? Or would it be better to obtain a 'Blackview' or 'Thinkware' model and have it independently installed?

6. Regarding the option 'Speed Limit Info' and digital speedometer in the instrument cluster. Both these features are deactivated in Australia. The 'Speed Limit Info' is available as an option in NZ, Germany, UK and USA. Has anyone professional coded these 2 features in Melbourne?

7. Regarding 'Active Cruise Control with Stop and Go Function' option, is it worth purchasing this option mainly for daily city driving? I have not been able to test drive a car with this option so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 12:34 AM   #2
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Cats View Post
I am looking to update my current BMW 325i, which is 11 years old, within the next few weeks with either a Luxury Line 330i Sedan or M Sport 330i Sedan. Next week I will have a longer back to back test drive of both these cars.
I have a number of questions regarding the options.

1. The adaptive LED lights (for the 330i) are only available combined with Sun Protection Glazing (30% factory fitted tinting) in the 'Visibility Package'. The RACV does not recommend window tinting. I am concerned that at nighttime my rear visibility will be significantly reduced because of the combination of tinted rear window and anti-dazzle interior and exterior mirrors. What are people's experiences with nighttime driving with tinted windows?

2. Regarding Sports Seats. I have had a short test drive with them. I am concerned that with a prolonged drive or during hot days, the side bolsters (even if fully deflated) will make one feel more uncomfortable and increase the risk of sweating. What are people's experiences so far in Australia.

3. Regarding the M Sport Steering Wheel. My dealer has offered to include it in the Luxury Line for AUS $1,500. In Germany it can be added for between 100 -200 Euro and in NZ $500. Is the M Sport Steering Wheel so much better than the regular Sport Steering Wheel, to be worth $1,500.

4. Regarding 'Seal and Protect' accessory, which is a dealer fitted paint and interior trim protective coating. Does anyone know its cost, whether its worth it or if it is preferable to have the exterior car paint protected independently of the dealer?

5. Regarding the BMW Dash Cam 'Advanced Car Eye' accessory. Has anyone in Australia purchased it, does it function satisfactorily? Or would it be better to obtain a 'Blackview' or 'Thinkware' model and have it independently installed?

6. Regarding the option 'Speed Limit Info' and digital speedometer in the instrument cluster. Both these features are deactivated in Australia. The 'Speed Limit Info' is available as an option in NZ, Germany, UK and USA. Has anyone professional coded these 2 features in Melbourne?

7. Regarding 'Active Cruise Control with Stop and Go Function' option, is it worth purchasing this option mainly for daily city driving? I have not been able to test drive a car with this option so far.
Welcome to the forums!

In order:
1. No problem. I couldn't imagine not having tinted windows with the Australian sun the way it is.

2. See 1. Tinting will keep the car cooler for a start. As for the sweating factor, assuming you've not let yourself go, the bolsters are adjustable in/out.

3. This is purely a personal preference. I liked the previous gen but can easily leave the current gen M-Sport wheel. It has a thicker grip for those that need to hang in tightly.

4. Never seen it so couldn't comment on functionality. You've got me intrigued however, I'll go look it up. Like all factory vs aftermarket there's a level of dealer support that will come with it. Again, this means a bit for some and none for others. The Hi Fi system is perhaps a parallel to this - some prefer to take the standard and fit a custom aftermarket solution, others prefer to take the L7 high end offering from BMW.

5. I've used the same detailer for 9 years and I reckon quite a few of the guys on here will tell you the same - get a good professional detailer and have them do it. It'll be cheaper and applied with great care, these guys rely on their reputation to keep getting work.

6. Couldn't tell you.

7. Like you I honestly haven't tried it. My initial reaction is "no" but I'll test it and see someday. I could see myself using it more for highway use rather than urban but hey, I was wrong once about something.

Hope this helps, I reckon you're going to end up with a great car getting a 330i.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 02:15 AM   #3
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Hi Cats,

Welcome to the forums... I'll try to give you my opinion on your questions too:

1. I have ALWAYS tinted windows... usually have the 30% tint no issues with visibility at night. Currently in my LCI, I organised tint separately and got 23% tint. This combined with the sunblinds that come with the car, makes it look pretty dark but still no issues with visibility at night. Do you want the Adaptive Headlights that much though? I have it as it comes with the model as default, it's kind of nice when you turn the wheel and the head lights move in the same direction but I wouldn't pay the extra to add it as an option though.

2. I love the bolsters ... hold you in and hugs. You're not going to be sweating profusely because you'll have aircon on right? I honestly don't have an issue with them and love the sports seats over the standard ones.

3. really down to personal preference on this one. I do not like the non-M steering wheel at all. However, at $1500 - you might consider changing it afterwards yourself or take it to your local indie instead of through the dealer. You'll know which one you prefer once you've had your hands on both

4. Do not get the 'seal and protect' - pure waste of money if done through the dealer. They will tell you, "our trained technicians will remove door trims carefully.. some others just don't take the care etc etc etc"... I got opticoat pro done to the care instead of the BMW 'Seal and protect'. Have not looked back in regret at all. Cheaper and better product IMO

5. Did not know BMW had their own dash cam... I have a single channel Blackvue HD dashcam mounted in mine. No issues with it and picture quality is great

6. no feedback on this one.. lol don't need to know about speed limits i guess :P

7. This function is of no benefit for daily City driving... on the highways though it's kinda gimmicky and useful at the same time. I have used it on long trips on the highway.. essentially saves you from stepping on the brake to slow down then re-engaging Cruise Control manually. What it does is keep driving the car at your desired speed, however, if there is a slower car in front... it maintains a distance (that you set) from the car in front. i.e. it slows down your car to match the slower car's speed automatically. Then when it speeds up or moves out of the way, your car speeds back up to the speed you had previously set. Is it worth paying extra? Again if mine didn't come with it, I wouldn't pay the extra to option it.

Hope that helps... again the above is purely my $0.02 and others may disagree lol. You'll love your new 330i regardless which you end up going with. Also, try to notice the difference in suspension between the M-Sport and non-M versions when you test drive them back to back.

Keep us posted or throw more questions up if you have any
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 06:16 AM   #4
ontheway
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 MSport 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Cats View Post

Looks like a good spec:

6. If you have the HUD you don't need the digital speedo in the cluster. I have found an "emulator" to allow SLI assuming it exists on the Australian Map but not the camera reading. Not sure if that will work and seems a little too much trouble.

7. With the non-LCI - Active Cruise Control was the only way to get Autonomous Emergency Braking. Otherwise you only get a warning. I always figure you want the latest safety tech - it is very useful around town and will stop the car. ACC works reasonably well in traffic though not as good as latter traffic jam systems.

The only option I would like is the Adaptive light distribution etc from the adaptive lights. You need HBA and Adaptive Lights. Google it on youtube.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 06:22 PM   #5
GregM4
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: VERDE ERMES G82 M4 Xdrive

Hi there and welcome.

1. Tinting - could not live without it. I live in north Queensland. At night you can always see lights at the rear. Not an issue. It also protects your car. Just get the good stuff. Quality costs here.

2. Love the sports seats.

3. I have the M sport wheel. Love the thickness.

4. You can get this after if you like. A good detailer can do it. The only benefit from the dealer is they provide this long term warranty. But you pay for it.

7. I have active cruise in my last car and my new one. Can not live without it, but then again I do a lot of country driving so a long drive without using the brake to slow down in towns etc. I would never own one without it, but in the city, I really do not think you need it.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 08:57 PM   #6
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Hello mate,

Not sure if your taking the piss with the first couple of questions? Seriously though tinting should come standed on all cars down here.

You will regret not getting the M wheel, the standard ones are thin, plastic and horrid!

Never had any of my cars at a detailer, I do all my own cleaning and a few guys on here have seen my cars and they always look shmick. I consider all coatings and the like, especially those for a dealer, to be not needed. Your coin though.

The digital speedo on F30's is useless. It is the same size as the other readout in the small digital section and you can barely read it.

I have ACC in my new car and I think it's great. I do a lot of driving and I find I am continually using it.

I too would not be without the adaptive headlights, it's a must IMO and don't forget the HK sound.

Good luck.

H
Appreciate 0