E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Did my first big DIY

12-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #1
ikenjoku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i

Garage List
2014 f13 M6  [0.00]
Did my first big DIY

Just wanted to come on here and thank you E9x veterans for all the information you provide on here. Did my first ever big (to me) DIY. Went and replaced my brake pads. All I did was search this forum and I found all the information, links, and tips I needed. (Even though I might need more because I have really bad squealing at stops but I think It because I didn't apply the brake grease). So I just wanted to say on behalf of the younger people on this forum that you guys are respected and appreciated.
Appreciate 4
      12-16-2015, 02:33 PM   #2
blackhawkk22
They don't want you to drive a 335i - DJ Khaled
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335i AT M-Sport

Good stuff man! 100% agree. The wealth of information on here (relevant ones at least) at invaluable. Do you have any pics/videos to share?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 10:14 PM   #3
ikenjoku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i

Garage List
2014 f13 M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkk22
Good stuff man! 100% agree. The wealth of information on here (relevant ones at least) at invaluable. Do you have any pics/videos to share?
I don't sadly but I'll be replacing my rotors in 2 weeks so I'll post some pictures
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 11:22 PM   #4
shamu2789
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 '07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikenjoku7
Just wanted to come on here and thank you E9x veterans for all the information you provide on here. Did my first ever big (to me) DIY. Went and replaced my brake pads. All I did was search this forum and I found all the information, links, and tips I needed. (Even though I might need more because I have really bad squealing at stops but I think It because I didn't apply the brake grease). So I just wanted to say on behalf of the younger people on this forum that you guys are respected and appreciated.
Congrats man! I also worked on my breaks for the first time a few months back. I used the red CRC Disc break quiet and it worked well, granted I applied more than was necessary. Also, apply some caliper grease to the slide pins and bed in your brakes properly after changing the rotors. Good luck!
      12-17-2015, 05:17 AM   #5
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

good job. brakes are a good basic level job that us nice to be able to do yourself. especially on these cars as for some reason garages charge alot for bmw brake jobs.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 06:06 AM   #6
dannyjones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i M-Sport

Well done. I'll be tackling my rears "soon". I say soon because the computer has been saying they're due in 900 miles, but it's been saying that for the last 5000 miles...

I also need to tackle my oil filter housing gasket, which I'm worried is a bit trickier
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 06:32 AM   #7
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Congrats OP. I restarted my DIY journey 4 years ago after a 35 year hiatus, thanks to the info on this forum. It's saved me a bundle.

Planning on tackling the oil pan gasket plus engine mounts in a few weeks...should be interesting
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 08:49 AM   #8
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

The first thing I did DIY on my car was change the headlight washers.

Second was changing all the injectors and valve cover (saved about $1000 by doing it myself)

It's much more fun and rewarding to do things yourself.
      12-17-2015, 10:21 AM   #9
lichtgelb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i

Contrary to the conventional "wisdom" outside of BMW forums, BMW's are actually pretty easy to work on. Rear wheel drive makes everything easier compared to a transverse drivetrain. With resources like realoem.com you can find VIN specific part numbers for every nut and bolt from bumper to bumper.

For anyone who's really into DIY I would highly recommend investing in air tools like a 1/2 impact wrench and air ratchet. I just recently started using an impact wrench and I don't know how I ever survived without one in the past. All that time you spend cranking on a socket wrench is eliminated. Most of the stuck nuts and bolts that I needed a breaker bar just spin right out with the pull of a trigger.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2015, 10:27 AM   #10
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 M3 6MT

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Good man! I got started with working on my cars by doing oil changes and brake pads with a buddy, and eventually started to do a bit more by myself. Best way to learn is by doing it yourself. The DIY's on here are a TREMENDOUS help, for sure.

'05 BMW M3 6MT (Weekend car)
Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 11:52 AM   #11
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

Nice bro! Done my own DYIs on my other cars, but not yet on my 335. Definitely is a good DIY resource here.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #12
djh2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 330e

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
My first DIY on my e90 was the starter. It was a long job only because you had to remove the intake manifold. Still, I think there was a rewarding transition between simply owning the car and having done work on it.

I've always maintained my own cars, but that first job made from "ooh fancy BMW can't touch anything" to "alright, let's turn some more wrenches.... when needed".
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 01:56 PM   #13
BrandJas18
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 328I 6MT Sport Wagon

I am hoping to do my own coilovers and front control arms in the spring (will pay for the alignment). The parts are collecting dust in the basement until then. I agree with you, the research I started on the forum and the DIYs will be super helpful. Its great to be part of this community.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 02:59 PM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lichtgelb View Post
Contrary to the conventional "wisdom" outside of BMW forums, BMW's are actually pretty easy to work on. Rear wheel drive makes everything easier compared to a transverse drivetrain. With resources like realoem.com you can find VIN specific part numbers for every nut and bolt from bumper to bumper.

For anyone who's really into DIY I would highly recommend investing in air tools like a 1/2 impact wrench and air ratchet. I just recently started using an impact wrench and I don't know how I ever survived without one in the past. All that time you spend cranking on a socket wrench is eliminated. Most of the stuck nuts and bolts that I needed a breaker bar just spin right out with the pull of a trigger.
I will add one of the most useful air tools for working on a BMW is a 1/4-drive mini air ratchet.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 03:25 PM   #15
lichtgelb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I will add one of the most useful air tools for working on a BMW is a 1/4-drive mini air ratchet.
I don't have one of those yet but it's next on my list. A mini air ratchet would be perfect for removing all the torx and 8mm fasteners.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lichtgelb View Post
I don't have one of those yet but it's next on my list. A mini air ratchet would be perfect for removing all the torx and 8mm fasteners.
Look for a Florida Pneumatic. That's what I have, I love the thing.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 05:17 PM   #17
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

The brakes are very standard swaps on these cars other than the sensors which aren't hard either. A lot easier than some other German cars I've done.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 10:10 PM   #18
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikenjoku7 View Post

Good job my friend good job...oh and you are welcome...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 02:08 PM   #19
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Congrats! I think it is important to at least learn how to do basic maintenance that is required on any car:

-how to change a tire
-oil change
-brake pads and maybe rotors

Im sure theres a few more basic things but the list above is universal for every car out there. Every car will continually need new tires, oil changes, brakes and more. Even more, the list above is so common that there are several options for parts to replace them with.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 02:21 PM   #20
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Did you do the sensor? Honestly, I've never understood that thing, I mean I understand the physical part, if you didn't trigger it you can keep using. I wish someone could reveal the magic behind it. Have searched many threads.

I mean to simplify--there is one on the rear right. when replacing rear pads, a)need to replace when ________________ b) dont need to replace when __________________ c) You can safely reset the cbs when ______________________
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 02:34 PM   #21
lichtgelb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Did you do the sensor? Honestly, I've never understood that thing, I mean I understand the physical part, if you didn't trigger it you can keep using. I wish someone could reveal the magic behind it. Have searched many threads.

I mean to simplify--there is one on the rear right. when replacing rear pads, a)need to replace when ________________ b) dont need to replace when __________________ c) You can safely reset the cbs when ______________________
It's just a wire sitting inside the sensor. If the pad wears down too far the rotor will rub the plastic down enough the break the wire and the computer reads it as an open circuit. It's pretty low tech for a German car.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 03:46 PM   #22
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Feels good huh? First it's brake pads, then it's suspension parts, then it's coding, then it's considering quitting your job and getting a degree in automotive engineering.

Remember that these cars are designed by humans for humans to service, albeit on occasion you encounter some bad designs. But that's what forums are for.

The number one piece of advice that I can't emphasize enough: if you don't have the right tool for the job, don't do it, and don't force it. You'll have a higher chance ending up with a bigger problem on your hands. Buy (or, if possible, rent) the right tool. You'll save hours and hours and hours of time, frustration, and energy.

Another piece of advice: pay attention the the parts that need to be removed. If there are rubber gaskets, seals, or screws that are very hard to reach, consider adding them onto your order. They're usually cheap and save you time later. Of course, work within your budget, but if you can replace an old brittle part with a new one, do it.

Final piece of advice: if it takes a crazy amount of effort to remove, stop. Look online. Make sure it's normal. There's nothing worse than stripping a bolt and having to deal with that. Look online for safe ways to deal with tight bolts too.

The reality, like any and all things you do, is that you will screw up sometimes. But if you learn from that experience, you win in the long run, and it makes your future DIYs easier.

For the $500 you may spend in tools (if even that), you're saving insane amounts of money by doing simple jobs the dealer will charge for.

Last edited by Welcome to NBA Jam; 12-18-2015 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0