THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Short-Shifter Kit?

12-14-2015, 03:58 PM   #1
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Short-Shifter Kit?

Hi All, looking for a bit of help. My fiancee has been driving her 228i Msport (MT) for the past year and keeps complaining about the lengthy throws of the stock shifter. I have driven it repeatedly as well and the length is really garbage for any sort of performance driving.

I have done a small search and it looks like UUC offers a short shifter kit for the 3series that will bolt on, are there any other options? I ask since I have the UUC Evo3 on my /M and it can be a bolt-action like and sometimes unforgiving. She wants to maintain some of that silky smoothness and reduce the length.

Any input you can offer is much appreciated!

Last edited by 86Zed; 12-14-2015 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 04:47 PM   #2
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Dol View Post
Hi All, looking for a bit of help. My fiancee has been driving her 228i Msport (MT) for the past year and keeps complaining about the lengthy throws of the stock shifter. I have driven it repeatedly as well and the length is really garbage for any sort of performance driving.

I have done a small search and it looks like UUC offers a short shifter kit for the 3series that will bolt on, are there any other options? I ask since I have the UUC Evo3 on my /M and it can be a bolt-action like and sometimes unforgiving. She wants to maintain some of that silky smoothness and reduce the length.

Any input you can offer is much appreciated!

Just FYI: A shifter kit's action is only as good as its linkage and bushings -- only if the two are really well thought out will a kit feel similar to the stocker. "Notchiness" (which is shifter-speak for your "bolt-action-like" term, OP) is often the result of a lack of this thinking-out because of three factors:

1). Shorter throws as a result of reduced leverage (i.e., the length between the knob and transmission housing)
2). Shorter throws as a result of redesigned linkage (often actually made longer to enable a shorter throw at the knob)
3). A changed feel as a result of replaced bushing/joining material (i.e.: softer and cheaper urethane to reduce vibration, but at the cost of longevity and the stock "feel")

IMHO, just about any kit for any car is going to make a shifter lose some of its OEM qualities. Sometimes it's a good thing (as on the one I had installed in my first car, a VW Beetle). Much more often, it's not.

YMMV, of course. But (and I'm just conjecturing here) if your g/f wants a shorter throw because she's use to the one in, say, a Miata or an S2000 -- two cars renowned for their shifter action, which includes relatively short throws -- then there may not be a solution that will make the M235i rower, well, Miata-like.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 05:03 PM   #3
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
IMHO, just about any kit for any car is going to make a shifter lose some of its OEM qualities. Sometimes it's a good thing (as on the one I had installed in my first car, a VW Beetle). Much more often, it's not.

there may not be a solution that will make the M235i rower, well, Miata-like.
Thanks for the reply. I feel similarly. While the UUC shifter is well suited towards the /M coupe and an improvement over the stock unit, I'm not sold on an identical feel for the 228.

Both her and I have spent time in the driver's seat of a Miata, Fiesta ST and FR-S (owned one for 50K miles). She really likes the Fiesta ST shifter and I don't think the 228i will ever have that feel due to differences in gearing, engine map, shifter design etc.

Surveying the field for options, stock may win out.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #4
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I sent an inquiry to Dinan as well. While they are tossing around ideas for the 3/4 series MT (adaptable to the 2), nothing concrete is planned for the pipeline yet.

Was hoping for a bit more chatter, guess the take rate on MTs is lower than I thought.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 01:07 PM   #5
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I sent an inquiry to Dinan as well. While they are tossing around ideas for the 3/4 series MT (adaptable to the 2), nothing concrete is planned for the pipeline yet.

Was hoping for a bit more chatter, guess the take rate on MTs is lower than I thought.
Actually, I think the take rate on shifter kits is lower. I've seen few complaints about the M235i's manual-tranny controls. Look no farther than the aftermarket in Europe, where manuals are far more prevalent, for evidence of this.

Also, the aftermarket for 2-series isn't as lively as some other BMW models, largely because of three reasons:
1). Sales were slow to ramp up, particularly before the M235i was named to Car & Driver's 10Best list
2). It's been known that all-new Bxx engines would be powering the cars soon after they came here in 2014.
3). Dual knowledge since late 2014 that the M235i isn't a true M car and the M2 was in development.

Just sayin'.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #6
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Actually, I think the take rate on shifter kits is lower.
Expectedly so. Once the M2 hits lots the aftermarket will liven up a bit more, after all the car is only two years old.

I don't feel like I am grasping at straws here. A few of my car enthusiast friends and BMW track junkies have driven the car, all noting its rather long row through the gears. Gotta take the good with the bad though, excellent car overall.

Last edited by 86Zed; 12-16-2015 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #7
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Expectedly so. Once the M2 hits lots the aftermarket will liven up a bit more, after all the car is only two years old.

I don't feel like I am grasping at straws here. A few of my car enthusiast friends and BMW track junkies have driven the car, all noting its rather long row through the gears. Gotta take the good with the bad though, excellent car overall.
Oh no; you're definitely not: the UUC unit you referred to in your original post is evidence of that. Thing is, just judging from the UUC kit, it's not that simple to produce ... and another thought is that the benefits may be outweighed by the drawbacks of such a kit because of indirectly related componetry -- the transmission mount bushings, for instance. If they're too soft (which is likely in a non-M BMW), more direct linkage may actually make shifting worse.

I think we're also probably talking about a single mod that doesn't have a lot of demand because that single mod reveals the need for a couple of other mods to see an actual improvement. That makes the benefit far less cost- and effort-effective, for a manufacturer and a consumer.

For comparison: another 2-series mod that isn't very popular is the aftermarket intake. Why? Because it doesn't provide a power gain since the OEM intake is so well designed and managed by the ECU, and the sound benefits are minimal because of how air is fed to the OEM intake. Sure, there are those whose buy one anyway for under-hood looks or placebo effect -- and the cost to design and produce one is minimal. But they aren't in demand because they don't do anything -- and some may actually make things worse because of heat soak.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #8
Nihilation
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, 328xi AT and 328i 6MT

Yesterday we installed a UUC Evo3 SSK on the RightFootDown.com 328i which uses the same transmission as the 228i and we're working on an installation video as well as a how-to article and review. The supplied directions from UUC aren't even for the same car and if you read the instructions or have seen E90 installs you'd think it's an hour driveway job. Definitely not on the F30, at least. For example, there is a bracket on the carrier arm that is just unbolted on the E90...well, it's welded to the chassis on the F30. More to come on the RFD site and I'll update here too.
      12-17-2015, 01:47 PM   #9
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilation View Post
Yesterday we installed a UUC Evo3 SSK on the RightFootDown.com 328i which uses the same transmission as the 228i and we're working on an installation video as well as a how-to article and review. More to come on the RFD site and I'll update here too.
Awesome news. I had reached out to Turner Motorsports and they mentioned similar things, saying a knowledgeable shop with a lift could complete the install in 2 hours.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 02:06 PM   #10
Nihilation
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome news. I had reached out to Turner Motorsports and they mentioned similar things, saying a knowledgeable shop with a lift could complete the install in 2 hours.
Our install on a lift with a very good mechanic took about 90 minutes. Transmission must be dropped a bit due to the rear carrier bracket being welded to the chassis rather than bolted. Watch out for snapping bolt heads when unbolting the exhaust support.
      12-18-2015, 07:52 AM   #11
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Ouch. That's never fun. I have been keeping track of the Turner 2 project and like what they have done so far. I really am torn with regard to trying to improve the shift feel in my car as well. I don't want to end up with a lesser end result. All of my cars have had short throw mods so I've been biting my nails waiting for a good one to come along.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 12:03 PM   #12
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
Ouch. That's never fun. I have been keeping track of the Turner 2 project and like what they have done so far. I really am torn with regard to trying to improve the shift feel in my car as well. I don't want to end up with a lesser end result. All of my cars have had short throw mods so I've been biting my nails waiting for a good one to come along.
I suspected that the UUC kit was likely a piece developed for past BMW models that's been modified for the F22. It didn't make much sense that UUC would be the only company to develop such a kit for the F22 -- even if the nascent car had been the F30.

This ain't no bolt-on-and-go-play mod, peeps.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 04:35 PM   #13
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
After seeing the work involved and dramatic change in overall shift feel, I am thinking of installing the ZHP shorter, heavier shift knob first. I'll see if that corrects enough of the issue before moving to a more involved solution.

Edit: I can't recall what the "msport" shifter height/weight is, stock images seem to show something awfully close to ZHP. I'll have to measure both the cars when I get home, really hoping for an easy solution.

Last edited by 86Zed; 12-22-2015 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #14
Nihilation
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've spent the last week thinking about the UUC Evo3 and if I felt it to be a worth while modification. I actually typed upgrade but that may not be fitting. Keeping in mind thus far has been strictly street driving, the Evo3 SSK has enhanced my driving experience in a way I think fans of older sports cars will appreciate. The involvement in such a rudimentary action as pushing or pulling a lever has been elevated with rewarding feedback. Click-click. Click-click. It's not only pleasing to my ears but the sensation of engaging through my finger tips provides additional reassurance. Something that couldn't be said of the factory shifter.

This isn't some magical modification that will transform your car but the collection of minor improvements throughout is what makes an M car an M, or greater. I'm keeping the UUC Evo3 and if anyone is local I'll welcome them a drive.
      12-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #15
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Thanks for the update.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 12:37 PM   #16
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilation View Post
I've spent the last week thinking about the UUC Evo3 and if I felt it to be a worth while modification. I actually typed upgrade but that may not be fitting.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll let the fiancee try the UUC shifter in my /M and see if it "fixes" her complaints with the 228i. Otherwise I will have to wait and see what the aftermarket brings down the road.
Appreciate 0