BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Electronic Damper Control

12-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #1
Bluezed
Bluezed
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 25d xLine MG

Electronic Damper Control

Can someone please explain to me in laymen's terms how this works?

Can you adjust the standard preset damper setting (I assume through the I-drive) to your own preferred comfort or sport settings?

If, for example, you are driving down a particular rough road, could you go in and change the setting to a softer set up? (or would the EDC automatically adjust the dampers to compensate for this?)

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

DDC (or EDC) allows you to change your suspension stiffness using the Drive Experience Switch.

By default, and if you have DDC, your suspension will be soft in Eco Pro and Comfort modes. DDC gives you the option to stiffen up the suspension in Sport mode.

If you don't have DDC, your suspension will have a balanced stiffness for all driving situations. You can still change the responsiveness of your transmission and acceleration using the Drive Experience switch. But suspension stiffness won't change.

The only suspension-related settings in iDrive (if you have DDC) is for Sport mode. You can decide whether you want responsive acceleration and transmission, stiff suspension, or both when the switch is flicked to Sport. Comfort and Eco Pro don't have any suspension related settings.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 03:47 AM   #3
Bluezed
Bluezed
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 25d xLine MG

That explains a lot. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0