F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > To those with Young families - enjoy it while you can :)
proTUNING Freaks

12-06-2015, 04:21 AM   #1
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

To those with Young families - enjoy it while you can :)

This time of year is invariably a spending spree for those of us with kids.

When they are under 10, it's invariably actual toys, rather than other stuff.

Hit those teenage years and it ramps up a bit, fashion, consoles, laptops, tablets, etc.

However, for those with younger families, just a note to say, It does not stop there!

My darling daughter has been at the Motorcyle Show at the NEC.

So far I have coughed up for the usual new girlie leathers and decent gloves / boots.

However yesterday, received a bunch of pics, her sitting on various bikes- with the Will Santa be Kind this year?

So I can see already 2016 is heading towards a pricey year.

So if you have young kids and you think Christmas is pricey now then - lol.

If you don't have kids yet.... Get the snip Now!
Appreciate 3
      12-06-2015, 06:17 AM   #2
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur D View Post
What bike does she want?
It varies.

She needs to do her CBT, so her favourite for that is a Honda CBR 125R.

Have told her anything above that (post CBT) is a Head not Looks thing.

She is 5'6 and does gym every other day (weights and cardio), so while relatively strong, would still need a 'girlie' suitable bike, lower cofg sort of thing.

She has handled a Suzuki GSX R600 on a few airfield rides, so at some point something like that.

I guess small blokes and girls do have a problem with wanting bikes to big for them.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2015, 07:11 AM   #3
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Can't ride a bike not even a pedal bike so can't help there

Dare say the dad in you would want to buy her the best protection available however and I guess that's expensive.

Before any one jumps in protection = crash helmet biking clothes and boots

Your bows etc cover any other areas !!!
      12-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #4
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

My kids still find Xmas magical....but know it won't last. Daughter is 20 months and would be happy with a cardboard box! Som is 6 and we are entering the wii u arena......costs going ok! But we made him save for half of it and we sent the money to Santa. Trying to treat him value of money. With boat parents accountants, he doesn't stand a chance!!!!

But it's a great family time!

I know costs will go up in the future!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 11:49 AM   #5
KS_340i
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
It varies.

She needs to do her CBT, so her favourite for that is a Honda CBR 125R.

Have told her anything above that (post CBT) is a Head not Looks thing.

She is 5'6 and does gym every other day (weights and cardio), so while relatively strong, would still need a 'girlie' suitable bike, lower cofg sort of thing.

She has handled a Suzuki GSX R600 on a few airfield rides, so at some point something like that.

I guess small blokes and girls do have a problem with wanting bikes to big for them.

Main issue tends to be reaching to floor, and her height not necessarily the issue. Some bikes seats are v wide, making it harder to touch ground. Suggest go with a slow bike, then get her to learn to corner properly. Nothing like something slightly under powered to teach you how to ride properly.

Then graduate onto a s/h Jap 400....wonderful little things!
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #6
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Daughter, son and wife all have December birthdays!

2 down and 1 birthday to go....plus this little Christian event on the horizon!

Kids 9 and 11 and finally it's into electronica years now, 2xtablets for them, the years of pointless huge plastic objects from Toys r Us that fill your house are over, rejoice rejoice! Santa has already prepped their iPads with home wifi, their favourite apps, email addresses....and parental control. Boom, what guy that Santa is, how does he know this stuff!
      12-06-2015, 02:21 PM   #7
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris The Manx

Kids 9 and 11 and finally it's into electronica years now, 2xtablets for them, the years of pointless huge plastic objects from Toys r Us that fill your house are over, rejoice rejoice! Santa has already prepped their iPads with home wifi, their favourite apps, email addresses....and parental control. Boom, what guy that Santa is, how does he know this stuff!
Ah yes, the pointless plastic crap that fills your house....

Thankfully my wife is brutally organised tidying everything into correct boxes so we rarely lose anything and once interest has waned, it's down the local kids charity so can be appreciated rather than sitting in loft or bin. Of course, does go wrong. Wife packed all Chuggington stuff (train thing - kids are 3 & 4) as we now have motorised Thomas set up in eldest room. Boys raided garage, pulled it all out and now currently sitting in front of this in sitting room!

Looking forward to day of clean carpets, no repainting of walls and untrashed furniture but loving the excitement leading up to Christmas - watched Polar Express with them this afternoon. They are so excited!
Attached Images

San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #8
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex
Quote:

Ah yes, the pointless plastic crap that fills your house....

Thankfully my wife is brutally organised tidying everything into correct boxes so we rarely lose anything and once interest has waned, it's down the local kids charity so can be appreciated rather than sitting in loft or bin. Of course, does go wrong. Wife packed all Chuggington stuff (train thing - kids are 3 & 4) as we now have motorised Thomas set up in eldest room. Boys raided garage, pulled it all out and now currently sitting in front of this in sitting room!

Looking forward to day of clean carpets, no repainting of walls and untrashed furniture but loving the excitement leading up to Christmas - watched Polar Express with them this afternoon. They are so excited!
...that Chuggington, theme tune will never ever leave my poor mind.

Edit: bizarrely my iPad had Chugginton on the auto correct, wow.
      12-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #9
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Son is going for a Scalextric track this year which I'm mega happy about. I have however got a bit carried away with extra cars and track. Will be a decent setup

Daughter wants a laptop which with a version of Office 365 ain't cheap

Pretty pricey Christmas but can't wait until they open their presents.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 04:29 PM   #10
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris The Manx View Post

I'm pretty much in the same boat : wife, newborn, father-in-law, nephew, and the 25th of course - December is getting to be a 'big one'.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2015, 04:38 PM   #11
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey
Quote:

I'm pretty much in the same boat : wife, newborn, father-in-law, nephew, and the 25th of course - December is getting to be a 'big one'.
I've a nephew too in December! 1,2,15,22,25,29 !! Obviously not great TV in February!?
      12-06-2015, 04:56 PM   #12
AndyTo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Our daughter has just turned 1 and I just know I won't be able to say no to her, so guess I should start saving now!!
My son is almost 5 and has dug out my old wii and discovered the joy of mario kart!!
I set up the dining room (we never use) into the kids TV room as while I do like a bit of Mario kart, I can't manage 6 hours of it!!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 08:54 AM   #13
bodtwo
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Wait till they're 21, then it becomes fun.

I'll post a separate mail later, when i've got the pics to hand.
      12-07-2015, 09:00 AM   #14
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodtwo View Post
Wait till they're 21, then it becomes fun.

I'll post a separate mail later, when i've got the pics to hand.
Mine is 25, so yeah they just get even more expensive to run lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #15
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

We've got a 5 year old, 3 year old and a 2 year old and already the Advent calendars have been argued over, the decorations on the tree have gone on and come back off, been put back on and are currently in a state of needing the tops fixing back on

This Christmas, I'll be building Lego, making bikes and setting up various roads and railway tracks; not to mention replacing the million batteries that each toy needs. All that probably before 6am on Christmas morning!

They may get more expensive as they grow older but on the bright side, it'll save a fortune on wrapping paper
      12-07-2015, 01:57 PM   #16
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Funny you should say that OP I have one that just turned 4 years and another that just turned 4 days

Best get saving!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 02:05 PM   #17
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

my annual cost for kids: $0 (for now)
      12-09-2015, 03:00 PM   #18
Kav79
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335d xdrive LCI

Currently suffering with the plastic crap stage, its bloody everywhere!

And whats Santa bringing........more plastic shite!!!! Lewis is only 2 and there isn't a room in the house that doesn't resemble a sodding toy store.......even the sacred man space of the garage has unused plastic crap littered all over it......god help me!!

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 03:06 PM   #19
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kav79

And whats Santa bringing........more plastic shite!!!! Lewis is only 2 and there isn't a room in the house that doesn't resemble a sodding toy store.......even the sacred man space of the garage has unused plastic crap littered all over it......god help me!!

We've all been there man, it will pass, expensive software and iPads are coming to save you
      12-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #20
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

We've all been there man, it will pass, expensive software and iPads are coming to save you
      12-09-2015, 03:08 PM   #21
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yep, just when you thought cars were the big expense, enter the 8 yr old, then the teenager, ££££££
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 02:38 PM   #22
Kav79
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335d xdrive LCI

Quote:
Quote:

O the joy, so instead of a few hundred quid by the time he hits that age we will be talking serious till.......

Might have to downgrade to Hyundai !
Appreciate 0