F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F30 key cloning in 2015
Studio RSR

12-02-2015, 06:16 AM   #1
daveuk340
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

F30 key cloning in 2015

Having just collected my new F30 on Monday I have arrived home on Tuesday night to find my car unlocked on my drive. I know I locked the car in the morning. No signs of forced entry.
Having had a previous BMW 5 series (2006 MY) stolen last year by key cloning I was immediately suspicious so checked inside and found the diagnostic port open under the driver side lower dash
In panic I have phoned the dealer, who assures me that a software patch in 2013 stopped the practice of key cloning by plugging into this port
Has anyone had a post 2013 F30/F31 stolen since this patch was applied?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 06:19 AM   #2
Consett Mag
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

No signs of forced entry surely means they don't have a key? I'd get the car checked out at the dealer for signs of entering its computer etc. Good luck, this is the last thing you want to have to think about.
      12-02-2015, 06:24 AM   #3
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

I'm pretty sure it is possible still, but takes a lot longer than it used to. The other (more likely) reason could be you pressing the button on the fob while it's in your pocket. I've done it before and was the main reason I bought the key cover.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 06:30 AM   #4
rocketretro
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M235i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daftasabrush View Post
I'm pretty sure it is possible still, but takes a lot longer than it used to. The other (more likely) reason could be you pressing the button on the fob while it's in your pocket. I've done it before and was the main reason I bought the key cover.
Certainly agree with above as a probable cause but can understand the anxiety. On my previous touring I would come back to the vehicle regularly with the hatch up and doors unlocked at various locations, all due to tight pockets and pressing down on key inadvertently. I've certainly not had the same problem in my present car due to changing my habits and maybe a less sensitive key fob?
      12-02-2015, 06:31 AM   #5
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 718 Boxster S

i have found the range of the remote is much greater than on previous cars i've owned. is it possible the key was been pressed accientially some way from the car, e.g. while in the house?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 06:38 AM   #6
Canary_Yellow
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport + LCI MG

Quote:
What cover do you have?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 06:39 AM   #7
daveuk340
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

My 5 Series was stolen off my drive and I got it back the same day. No signs of forced entry but the diagnostic cover was open same as here. Police told me they can open door remotely or jam the signal when you try and lock the door 9leaving it unlocked). They then plug into the diagnostic port with some hardware device, clone the key and then drive off.
The car was definitely locked when I left for work in the morning as I walked past it and checked and I did not have the key on me at the time.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 07:07 AM   #8
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Quote:
That wouldn't explain the diagnostic port being open?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 07:09 AM   #9
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan
Quote:
It wouldn't, but it only takes a knock when getting in and out of the car to open them, I've done it a few times. If the car was new, it might have been left open by the dealer after taking it out of transport mode. It's not something most people would check for.
      12-02-2015, 07:14 AM   #10
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow
Quote:
What cover do you have?
One of the Bmw leather ones
      12-02-2015, 07:14 AM   #11
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Even if they broke in and tried to clone the key as you say via the diagnostic port.... the car is still on the drive, they didn't have it away.

Either they got disturbed or its was too difficult for them to do. Lets hope its the latter.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 07:18 AM   #12
sweels
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
And don't most cars these days relock themselves if you don't open a door within say, 30 seconds after unlocking?

Last edited by sweels; 12-02-2015 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 07:20 AM   #13
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
And don't most cars these days relocation themselves if you don't open a door within say, 30 seconds after unlocking?
Good point, they should do. Pretty sure I've had occasions when mine hasn't though.
      12-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #14
DickieGibbo
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 2016 F32 435dx Msport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
i have found the range of the remote is much greater than on previous cars i've owned. is it possible the key was been pressed accientially some way from the car, e.g. while in the house?
Many times my neighbour has knocked on my door saying my boot is open
The button is so easy to press!

I have coded the beeps on my car so I have an audible sound when I leave my car. I find it does help as a reminder that I have locked the car.

Dickie
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #15
dangerous_al
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i G01 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweels View Post
And don't most cars these days relock themselves if you don't open a door within say, 30 seconds after unlocking?
If the car in unlocked but no doors or boot opened, then yes it re-locks itself after a couple of minutes, but if a door is opened after unlocking then I think it stays unlocked
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 06:35 PM   #16
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
As above could be as a result of inadvertent fob pressing did it a few times my self prior to getting the key case

But again as Lorcan says the obd cover wouldn't be open

Did have an attempted signal snatch myself with previous 320d whilst in Coventry. Came back to my car and strangely couldn't open it using the remote despite several attempts. Managed to get in with emergency key and never had the problem again. Strange. Or maybe a one off glitch

Yes doors stay unlocked if opened.

At least they didn't get your car may I suggest additional security such as a disklok( small) or a bullock.
      12-03-2015, 01:39 AM   #17
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Having just collected your car, have you got GAP?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 01:59 AM   #18
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Are you certain the diagnostic port was closed previously? If yes then it's very very odd indeed, would invest quickly in a physical wheel lock.

As others have said it might be an accident if the key being pressed in your pocket. The diagnostic port is worrying though.
      12-03-2015, 03:10 AM   #19
jayakrishnanv
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerous_al View Post
If the car in unlocked but no doors or boot opened, then yes it re-locks itself after a couple of minutes, but if a door is opened after unlocking then I think it stays unlocked
Isnt this to be activated in the idrive settings? If its not then it wont be locking itself. if am correct drive away locking, one click unlocking from remote unlocks driver door or all doors and in how many seconds you want to lock the doors if its unlocked with the remote are there.

Now if the car was not locked at the time when you came out after parking then this option wont work.
      12-03-2015, 04:36 AM   #20
dangerous_al
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i G01 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakrishnanv View Post
Isnt this to be activated in the idrive settings? If its not then it wont be locking itself. if am correct drive away locking, one click unlocking from remote unlocks driver door or all doors and in how many seconds you want to lock the doors if its unlocked with the remote are there.

Now if the car was not locked at the time when you came out after parking then this option wont work.
Yes it is but I believe it is on as standard, so unless you go into iDrive and turn it off, the car will relock itself if it is unlocked and no doors are opened
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 04:44 AM   #21
sweels
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerous_al View Post
Yes, that was my point- if the OP had inadvertently unlocked it with the remote, and then not gone to his car, it would have relocked. Hence gap and a wheel lock might be a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #22
AndyTo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

You can blame the EU. They passed a law preventing any car manufacturer from encrypting their codes as it prevents non-oem key manufacturers from making car keys.
Car companies kinda have themselves to blame, like Fiat charging £700 for a new key that Timpson could do for £40.

BMW, Audi etc... could prevent someone cloning keys, but they're not allowed.
Appreciate 0