F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > South Africa Build and slightly bothered - 43 day voyage to NY/NJ
ARMA SPEED

12-01-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Unhappy South Africa Build and slightly bothered - 43 day voyage to NY/NJ

I'm a little miffed and I'm not sure why. I just found out that my 340i xDrive M Sport 6MT was built in South Africa and not Germany. I did not think to ask where the car was being built when it went into production on Nov 3 (certainly on me for not confirming). I thought something was off when it had been sitting at the port since Nov 17.

I called into the 800# again on Dec 1 and the automated system told me it was still at the port awaiting vessel assignment. I spoke to a rep and contrary to the automated telephone system he told me that my vehicle had been loaded onto the Dignity Ace (operated by Mitsui OSK) way back on Nov 22 and due to arrive in Bayonne, NJ on Jan 4! The rep stated that this was a 43 day voyage!

I'm playing around with marinetraffic and vesseltracker but this wait will kill me more knowing it's not coming from the motherland.

I read on the forums that the South Africa plant had top ratings yada yada. Should I really be concerned about my car not being built in Germany? My X5 was built in the US and it's still great so I'm not sure where it's built even matters.

On the bright side, my vehicle will take so long to arrive at the VPC in NJ that I'm hoping MPPK/MPE will be available for PIA install before I take delivery.

EDIT: TIL, it doesn't really make a difference whether the vehicle was manufactured in Germany or South Africa with the consensus being South African builds seem to be quite solid.

Also, my car hits VPC on Jan 5 so MPPK will not make it onto my vehicle since it has not been released on the 340i.

Last edited by MomoM3; 01-05-2016 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 03:18 PM   #2
dalto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
All reports are that quality out of South Africa is very good. The big downside with SA is, of course, the extra time you need to wait to receive it.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #3
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoM3 View Post

On the bright side, my vehicle will take so long to arrive at the VPC in NJ that I'm hoping MPPK/MPE will be available for PIA install before I take delivery.
Was your dealer able to add MPPK and MPE to your build sheet?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 08:58 PM   #4
gongtowjai
I'll Kung Fu Panda your ass
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F30 XDrive

Quote:
I'm a little miffed and I'm not sure why. I just found out that my 340i xDrive M Sport 6MT was built in South Africa and not Germany. I did not think to ask where the car was being built when it went into production on Nov 3 (certainly on me for not confirming). I thought something was off when it had been sitting at the port since Nov 17.

I called into the 800# again on Dec 1 and the automated system told me it was still at the port awaiting vessel assignment. I spoke to a rep and contrary to the automated telephone system he told me that my vehicle had been loaded onto the Dignity Ace (operated by Mitsui OSK) way back on Nov 22 and due to arrive in Bayonne, NJ on Jan 4! The rep stated that this was a 43 day voyage!

I'm playing around with marinetraffic and vesseltracker but this wait will kill me more knowing it's not coming from the motherland.

I read on the forums that the South Africa plant had top ratings yada yada. Should I really be concerned about my car not being built in Germany? My X5 was built in the US and it's still great so I'm not sure where it's built even matters.

Oh..yours is not on a direct ship to USA. Its stops in Bremerheven. Mine took roughly 60 days from build to NJ port. Direct from SA to NJ took 20+ days; Production finished Mid Aug, sat at port for 1 month awaiting ship, left SA on 9/17, arrived in NJ on 10/9. It depends on the dealer allocations. The wait is the most painstaking...but you'll enjoy the car...
      12-01-2015, 09:14 PM   #5
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
Was your dealer able to add MPPK and MPE to your build sheet?
No, they cannot add it since it is not yet available. I did speak with my CA today and he told me he can add PIA items up until the day before the car is scheduled to arrive at the port. At this point, I'm just hoping MPPK/MPE for the 340i is available by then, which it should be.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 09:16 PM   #6
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongtowjai View Post
Oh..yours is not on a direct ship to USA. Its stops in Bremerheven. Mine took roughly 60 days from build to NJ port. Direct from SA to NJ took 20+ days; Production finished Mid Aug, sat at port for 1 month awaiting ship, left SA on 9/17, arrived in NJ on 10/9. It depends on the dealer allocations. The wait is the most painstaking...but you'll enjoy the car...
Yeah, mine is looking to take 60-70 days from order to delivery.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 03:30 PM   #7
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Does your VIN start with NC0? I wouldn't worry too much on the quality but yeah, waiting sucks...

I've been waiting for my replacement car for 2.5 months now, another 1.5 months to go (it's being produced in BMW AG, probably longer if it's from BMW SA)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 12:17 AM   #8
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
Does your VIN start with NC0? I wouldn't worry too much on the quality but yeah, waiting sucks...

I've been waiting for my replacement car for 2.5 months now, another 1.5 months to go (it's being produced in BMW AG, probably longer if it's from BMW SA)
It does not but the 11th digit is N, so yes, that's consistent with my car being made in Rosslyn.

Ice storm? Crazy.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 09:12 AM   #9
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Quote:
It does not but the 11th digit is N, so yes, that's consistent with my car being made in Rosslyn.

Ice storm? Crazy.
Yup... they're telling me that production is next week so I hope I find out a rough delivery time soon. The struggles of pushing for a 6MT+RWD car now a days

I misread the VIN decoder guide earlier, the "NC0" bit in the VIN is no longer used. Thanks for clarifying!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 03:17 PM   #10
chazmink
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

My 2013 328i Msport 6MT is an SA build and I was initially very concerned about my new Bavarian car coming from South Africa. The car was already in the states so I didn't get hit with the long wait others have alluded to. My dealer said the only downside of SA cars was the long transit time. I think he was right. I've been really happy with my car. Good luck.

2013 328i MSport Estoril Blue, 6spd MT, Premium, Tech & Drivers Assist +, Bavsound Stage One/Ghost, Bimmertech Amp
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2015, 10:41 PM   #11
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazmink View Post
My 2013 328i Msport 6MT is an SA build and I was initially very concerned about my new Bavarian car coming from South Africa. The car was already in the states so I didn't get hit with the long wait others have alluded to. My dealer said the only downside of SA cars was the long transit time. I think he was right. I've been really happy with my car. Good luck.
Nice. Yeah, I think it's all in my head. I haven't come across anything negative regarding SA builds and that's a great thing.

I guess I was initially miffed because I wrongly assumed my car was being built in Germany. I'm usually so detail-oriented so I was more upset at myself for overlooking this. Plus the telephone system was NINE days behind! I was really looking forward to it being on a W-W vessel too so I can track the voyage.

Whatever, now I can concentrate on the holidays without distractions!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 07:26 PM   #12
jinnrice
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i Xdrive

Don't worry about the car coming from SA. Mine is and I have no issues with the car yet. I put my car through some beatings right after the break in period. 3 auto X and some highway beating. Car still solid. Minor issue... The door sealants... Just keep them well maintained.
      12-20-2015, 01:59 PM   #13
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

I had a 2005 E46 from SA, and it was great. Zero issues.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2015, 06:07 PM   #14
zinner
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

i have a 8/14 built 2015 335i built in south africa and it's been fine. When I was taking delivery the rep said they hated SA cars, but then was very quick to elaborate it was because of the way they were delivered and packaged and not anything with the car itself.

Not a single issue with the car and it's a year old now. I would be more worried about the first run of the LCI and working out the unforseen kinks in the update. Probably a VERY VERY small chance of that though.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 01:57 AM   #15
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Let's put it this way. My previous car came from South Africa. Build quality was fantastic. Current car came from Germany. Months after purchase found that fasteners were missing and developed a few nasty rattles. In my mind South Africa built the better quality car. Sample size: 2 cars.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2016, 03:36 PM   #16
Jdem2
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

My 2014 335i was a SA (Rosslyn) build and I had quite a few issues with build quality. Right out of the dealer (with 4 miles on it), the dash cluster had to be replaced due to some film build up behind the crystal. The wood grain piece from the center console had to be replaced as well. Apparently when they pulled film off of it, it left behind some adhesive residue that would not come off. And the hood was misaligned so bad that there was a 1/2" gap between the hood and the upper front bumper on the passenger side while the drivers side sat flush

By the 2000 mile mark the center console and both front doors were rattling terribly. The drivers seat squeaked as well. At one point I took a tech for a ride with me and the noise was LOUD over any little bump and he claimed he couldn't hear it. At one point, I pulled the passenger side floor mat out to vacuum and the Velcro disk ripped right off.

Then at 8000 miles, it spun a bearing in the transfer case (it was an xDrive). Of course the bearing isn't build quality, but after everything else it just frustrated me.

Is it possible I just got a lemon? Of course it is, and I am by no means saying definitively that "it's all because of Rosslyn". But, it planted seeds of doubt and made me question at least.

I wish you all the luck with your 340 and I hope it is perfect!!
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2016, 04:38 PM   #17
Jparker82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X6M

I had a 2013 AH3 335 hybrid M sport and it was a frigin nightmare.... i replaced it with a 2014 335i m sport SA built and its been perfect.... its now a signature package dinan stage 3 and i drive the hell out of it.... NOTHING has broken.
Appreciate 1