BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) F48 HiFi Amp and Audio Upgrades

11-25-2015, 03:30 PM   #1
Scheidy
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i (F48)

F48 HiFi Amp and Audio Upgrades

Since the 2016 X1 is so new, it's been hard to find specifics about the Audio systems in the F48. (And mine is still on order, so can't tear it apart yet) Hopefully some of you can help. And hoping Technic will be able to weigh in with some details as well.

1. For the HiFi version with Nav (no HK upgrade) can we assume it's similar to the F30 system just without tweeters? Same 7-channel 205w DSP amp? Same low-level differential balanced output that can go directly to a JL or equivalent amp with a harness?

2. I'm also leaning towards non plug-n-play 4" door speakers like CDT or Focal, without the BMW 3 screw drill pattern. When looking for speaker mounts to try to ease install, what BMW model cars will the F48 door speakers and floor subs be most similar to? E84, F30? (no-one shows any F48 compatibility yet) And do we know what the speaker install depths will be for this car?

3. Since there are no tweeter placements in this car I was thinking of buying the oem BMW window trim parts that usually come with the HK system and swap them with the stock sails so I can install component speakers with a separate tweeter up front. Is this the cheapest/easiest way to add a tweeter placement? Does anyone have any other methods for adding a tweeter without cutting or modifying the car? (pretty pathetic that this model didn't come with tweeter placements)

4. Center Channel Speaker. If outputting to an 8-channel amp w/o DSP like the JL xd800/8v2, is it correct in assuming that in order to power the center channel, you'd have to assign it to one of the channels (either left or right) and not use the 8th channel? Wouldn't this create an unbalanced system? Seems like the the center channel should only be used if you have DSP to create the sound field. Does anyone know a way to do this differently?

5. Under seat subwoofers. I know a lot of people drop in the SWS subs in other models. Will they fit the F48 as well? And are there any better brand/model woofer options for those 2 woofer spots in others' opinions? Looking for SQ. (considering bridging channels off the JL amp to send 200W, 4ohm to each of those, then sending the other four 75w channels to the fronts and rears)

Thanks for any replies in advance. I know it's a lot but even if you can weigh in a piece of it that would be great!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 09:41 AM   #2
kadaj
Registered
Rep
Drives: 17' XDrive X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheidy View Post
Since the 2016 X1 is so new, it's been hard to find specifics about the Audio systems in the F48. (And mine is still on order, so can't tear it apart yet) Hopefully some of you can help. And hoping Technic will be able to weigh in with some details as well.

1. For the HiFi version with Nav (no HK upgrade) can we assume it's similar to the F30 system just without tweeters? Same 7-channel 205w DSP amp? Same low-level differential balanced output that can go directly to a JL or equivalent amp with a harness?

2. I'm also leaning towards non plug-n-play 4" door speakers like CDT or Focal, without the BMW 3 screw drill pattern. When looking for speaker mounts to try to ease install, what BMW model cars will the F48 door speakers and floor subs be most similar to? E84, F30? (no-one shows any F48 compatibility yet) And do we know what the speaker install depths will be for this car?

3. Since there are no tweeter placements in this car I was thinking of buying the oem BMW window trim parts that usually come with the HK system and swap them with the stock sails so I can install component speakers with a separate tweeter up front. Is this the cheapest/easiest way to add a tweeter placement? Does anyone have any other methods for adding a tweeter without cutting or modifying the car? (pretty pathetic that this model didn't come with tweeter placements)

4. Center Channel Speaker. If outputting to an 8-channel amp w/o DSP like the JL xd800/8v2, is it correct in assuming that in order to power the center channel, you'd have to assign it to one of the channels (either left or right) and not use the 8th channel? Wouldn't this create an unbalanced system? Seems like the the center channel should only be used if you have DSP to create the sound field. Does anyone know a way to do this differently?

5. Under seat subwoofers. I know a lot of people drop in the SWS subs in other models. Will they fit the F48 as well? And are there any better brand/model woofer options for those 2 woofer spots in others' opinions? Looking for SQ. (considering bridging channels off the JL amp to send 200W, 4ohm to each of those, then sending the other four 75w channels to the fronts and rears)

Thanks for any replies in advance. I know it's a lot but even if you can weigh in a piece of it that would be great!

iam really interested in all of the questions above. I am planning on doing the same thing, and wan to know if ill need a dsp or not? what subs can I fit into the underseats etc..

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
hart4bmw
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Sdrive20i (2016)

https://www.hifimotive.nl/?p=165 (only in Dutch)

Info & parts >>
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/F4...ronic_systems/
Appreciate 0