BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Discussion: Ride Quality

11-25-2015, 05:29 AM   #1
euphoriaa
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 20i

Discussion: Ride Quality

Hello everyone!

I had recently just booked a f48 s20i and am very excited about it.

However, base on quite a few reviews posted online, many seems to fault the ride quality of the new X1- be it noise from the tyre, or ride being unpleasant/bumpy.

Any recent owner of the f48 able to enlighten on the above? Please state some basic info such as below for easy comparison.

Model type: s20i
Rim size: 18''
Adjustable damper: Yes

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 05:56 AM   #2
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Here are my comments on overall noise: http://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=22

I have DDC + 18" RFTs. Overall ride in Comfort and Eco Pro is similar to a luxury small sedan. Definitely better than E84 with same size wheels + RFTs. Significantly smoother than Mercedes GLA. I can only assume that regular tyres will make the ride smoother and quieter. Between tyre noise and extra cargo space, I would definitely chose the latter. I can easily fit two carry-ons under the boot floor.

Sport Mode is crashy and I do not like it at all. It'd be hell with 19". Even with regular tyres on 18" wheels, I'm sure it would still be uncomfortable and exhausting. On the other hand, it completely sharpens up the car by making the suspension rigid. So it's a logical compromise if you want a sporty drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 07:07 AM   #3
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

The X1 18d S drive we have at the moment seems pretty good to me, the ride is compliant enough and although there is some wind and tyre noise, but nothing that is annoying.
The car is on 18" wheels and passive springs.
      11-25-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
I test drove a US spec X1 with RFT 18s and thought it was fine from a ride, handling and noise perspective. But I'm used to RFTs on 3 series as my benchmark.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #5
Wisly
Private
Croatia
Rep
Drives: X1 18d

Hi, I write first time here. I drive 2005 1 series 116i and originaly it was with 16" runflats, so to get better ride quality, at first tyre change I bought 16" non run flats and that made ride much smoother.

Now I am interested in new X1 18d sdrive automatic. I tested it with 17" non run flats and I expected much better ride quality. In the town streets you can feel too much of tyre roll through cabin and seats. On rear seats it gets even worse. I almost gave up from the car because when I returned back to my 2005 116i it was much smoother ride quality.

On one hand I understand that taller car like X1, X3, X5 must have harder dumpers for sporty BMW ride and lower cars like 1,3,5 series can have softer dumpers and better ride quality. But on the other hand X1 is a luxury SUV by it's price and should have better and softer ride quality which I expected. I want that all passengers in the car feel comfortable.

So now I am reconsidering X1 again but with front sport seats + EDC ( electronic dumpers control ) because I hope that these two will add more comfort for the ride.
I don't want to order the car before I test it with EDC dumpers to see is it really better or it is still the same. Does anyone have experience with EDC dumpers in comfort mode? Is it a good thing? Maybe you know some link to see how it works?

From the BMW dealer they sent me a detailed explanation that EDC really makes ride more comfortable, better safety, reduces vibrations, feel of bumps and holes on the road is reduced to minimum. They also wrote that with EDC there is COMFORT, NORMAL, SPORT and SPORT+ mode.

I really don't want to buy a car and be dissapointed with ride quality because then I will rather look for some other car like 3 series touring which is in similar price range. But I really like X1 ! Thanks for advices
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 05:00 PM   #6
Les Paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Xline Auto

Can't comment on the EDC (not on my car), however the sports seats are quite firm in my opinion, so will not really add to a softer/comfortable ride feeling.
I did not try standard seats, so do not know if these are softer.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #7
Wisly
Private
Croatia
Rep

Are we talking about a EDC system like this on the link in new BMW X1 ?

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 07:23 PM   #8
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

No, it is simply a two setting control for the damping provided by the car's shock absorbers achieve through valve settings on the shock absorbers. In the BMW documentation, it is described as Dynamic Damper Control: "In addition to the standard COMFORT setting, which assures a smooth and comfortable ride, there is also a SPORT mode. This setting stiffens the damper for a more direct, athletic driving performance. Each mode is activated by the Driving Experience Control switch in the centre console." (brochure, p25)

So, for precision, all F48 X1s are equipped with the Driving Experience Control (DEC), which provides switching for throttle mapping (Eco Pro; Comfort, Sport...). Adaptive damping is provided via the Dynamic Damper Control (DDC), which is optional, and provides firmer shock absorber damping when the DEC is switched to Sport.

Let me be clear regarding my personal opinion: I do not think the X1's ride and road noise is awful; if I did, I would not have ordered one. But I do not think fitment of 19" RFTs fitted to the original test drive car I drove did it any NVH favours. Subsequently, I have driven two X1s fitted with 18" RFTs, and found an improvement in both ride and noise, confirming my decision to order this wheel combination. Because I sometimes like to "press on", I also added the DDC option to improve handling in those situations, as well as the Sports seats option, which provide more support to thigh/back/ under leg.

Once I have the car, and have driven it for a while, I may decide to replace the RFTs with normal tyres. This may be for either of two reasons: continuing concern about ride due to the RFTs; or because I will purchase a spare tyre kit to avoid being stranded.

The X1 is a good car. It is not uncomfortable to me, and by carefully picking the specification and options, my aim is to make it even more comfortable and suitable to my needs.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 02:37 AM   #9
Les Paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Xline Auto

Spot on

That's a very good summary Timbo, which I agree with regarding ride quality/tyre options and damper control functionality - coincidently the only reason I went for sport seats was for thigh support.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 04:18 AM   #10
Wisly
Private
Croatia
Rep

I am not sure that I can get comfortable ride in any BMW like in second car that I have VW Passat. because it is a benchmark for me now for comfort ride, it is on 17" tyres.

But also I don't want to believe that 17" non run flats + EDC dumpers is the same comfort as X1 without EDC. In most of the youtube X1 reviews they say that adaptive dumpers is a must if you want a comfortable ride in X1. But I may be wrong....

Sport seats probably don't reduce vibrations but I consider them also a must in X1 because normal seats are from mini cooper and don't follow the quality of a BMW. Normal seats are too short and don't hold body in corners enough, especialy becasue of higher sitting position.

Also, M sport steering wheel is much better than normal one so I would take that also as extra.
Appreciate 0