ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

11-22-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
Bad Robot
No, dear, you wouldn't like driv.. LOOK! SQUIRREL!
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Sakhir/Black Merino

Busted for dark tint. Need good Charlotte tint shop for removal.

I got a $290 ticket today from the Concord, N.C. PD because the tint on my M4 is 40 percent, and therefore too dark for N.C. Apparently the legal standard is 35 percent. The previous owner tinted it.

I can avoid court costs if I have the tint removed in the next two weeks.

Can you recommend a pro tint shop in the Charlotte area that I can trust to do this? Thanks.
2015 M4, Sakhir/Black Merino, DCT, LEDs, 19-inch, Harmon-Kardon, Executive Package, Driver Assistance. Sit down. Buckle up. Mash that button yonder. Flick that lever to the right. Mash that other button on the steering wheel, twice. Now punch that pedallLLLAHHH!

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 07:00 PM   #2
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
I got a $290 ticket today from the Concord, N.C. PD because the tint on my M4 is 40 percent, and therefore too dark for N.C. Apparently the legal standard is 35 percent. The previous owner tinted it.

I can avoid court costs if I have the tint removed in the next two weeks.

Can you recommend a pro tint shop in the Charlotte area that I can trust to do this? Thanks.
FYI, 40% is lighter than 35%. The percent describes the amount of light that is letter ouch. The lower the number the darker it is.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #3
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
FYI, 40% is lighter than 35%. The percent describes the amount of light that is letter ouch. The lower the number the darker it is.
That's correct. You should be fine with a 40% EXCEPT for the front windshield. Not sure about NC but usually there are stricter limits for the front windshield in most states.

I think in TN it's something like 70% for the front windshield and 35% for all the others, so I had the front done at 70% and the rest of the car at 40%
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 07:30 PM   #4
SMV_M4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 AW/SO

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
You guys are lucky. Here in Iowa, the laws are very restrictive in regards to tint. You can't have ANY tint on the front windshield and the darkest tint permitted on the front driver and passenger side windows is 70%. They used to allow up to 35% if you had a medical exemption signed by a physician but got rid of that a few years back and voided all pre-existing exemptions which was bullshit. Luckily you can tint the rear side windows and rear windshield as dark as your heart desires. But if a cop sees you with anything on that front glass, you're getting a citation every time. Thankfully it's only $100 and not the $200 like you have to put up with.
2008 335xi Coupe / JB/CR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 07:50 PM   #5
Bad Robot
Rep

Okay, thanks for the info and the clarification on the terms.

All I know is that he pulled me over, asked me to roll the window up slightly, put an instrument an the edge of the glass, and it showed a .40. So that was that!

The tint looks good on the car, no argument about that. But it's a little problematic at night. For example, under certain conditions, if I'm turning hard left through intersections, sometimes I have to roll the driver's window down slightly and look to make sure there's no one coming through the crosswalk I'm about to drive over.

Anyway, I have no choice. I can either get rid of the existing tint in the next two weeks or pay the fine and risk getting tagged again. I don't intend to replace it with any other tint.

Is it tough to come off? Does it risk scratching the glass? I can leave it on the rear glass no problem, but if I take it off the rear too am I risking destroying the heating elements?

Thanks again.
2015 M4, Sakhir/Black Merino, DCT, LEDs, 19-inch, Harmon-Kardon, Executive Package, Driver Assistance. Sit down. Buckle up. Mash that button yonder. Flick that lever to the right. Mash that other button on the steering wheel, twice. Now punch that pedallLLLAHHH!

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 01:13 PM   #6
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Call this guys they will take care of it, ticket clinic $50-$75 1-844-529-8498 (Option #1)

BTW your state is .35 and your reading is 0.40 you can go and fight it your self and it will be dismiss
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 01:39 PM   #7
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
Okay, thanks for the info and the clarification on the terms.

All I know is that he pulled me over, asked me to roll the window up slightly, put an instrument an the edge of the glass, and it showed a .40. So that was that!

The tint looks good on the car, no argument about that. But it's a little problematic at night. For example, under certain conditions, if I'm turning hard left through intersections, sometimes I have to roll the driver's window down slightly and look to make sure there's no one coming through the crosswalk I'm about to drive over.

Anyway, I have no choice. I can either get rid of the existing tint in the next two weeks or pay the fine and risk getting tagged again. I don't intend to replace it with any other tint.

Is it tough to come off? Does it risk scratching the glass? I can leave it on the rear glass no problem, but if I take it off the rear too am I risking destroying the heating elements?

Thanks again.
removing the tint is a pretty labor intensive job too. How are you supposed to "prove" that your tint is removed? What someone else in your shoes *might do is just make up an invoice and bring a photo of your car/another member's car without tints on it and avoid all the hassle and payments entirely while still enjoying the tints indefinitely . Not that I condone lying, cheating, or stealing, I just happen to think the tint laws are dumb and that tints provide not just a positive aesthetic but they also offer privacy for me and my dog and I have every intention of keeping them.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 01:42 PM   #8
Bad Robot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgeater2 View Post
Call this guys they will take care of it, ticket clinic $50-$75 1-844-529-8498 (Option #1)

BTW your state is .35 and your reading is 0.40 you can go and fight it your self and it will be dismiss
Okay, thanks for the lead and the info.

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 01:47 PM   #9
Bad Robot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
removing the tint is a pretty labor intensive job too. How are you supposed to "prove" that your tint is removed? What someone else in your shoes *might do is just make up an invoice and bring a photo of your car/another member's car without tints on it and avoid all the hassle and payments entirely while still enjoying the tints indefinitely . Not that I condone lying, cheating, or stealing, I just happen to think the tint laws are dumb and that tints provide not just a positive aesthetic but they also offer privacy for me and my dog and I have every intention of keeping them.
In N.C., you have to take your de-tinted car to a State Highway Patrol office or local Sheriff's Dept several weeks before your court date. They'll verify the tint has been fixed, take another reading, and link that to your VIN for the court.

I get why cops don't want dark-tinted cars out there. You can imagine walking up to a tinted car in a traffic stop at night in the rain and not knowing what you're going to find.

But I also expect them to know the law, which my cop did not. He's flat wrong about my .40 reading not being legal. But I have to spend time and money to prove that he doesn't know the tint laws.

I suspect it's really a case of a cop trying to find some pretext for hassling an M car on a slow Sunday morning. Maybe I'm wrong.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 07:54 PM   #10
Bad Robot
Rep

Strongly recommend this tint shop

I was very impressed by Sunstoppers in Cornelius today.

They got the car in right away this morning, stripped out 5 windows worth of tint and glue in about 2 hours, cost $100.

Very happy. I saw some of the other work they were doing, window tints and body wraps, all looks like first-class work on some pretty nice rolling stock.

If you need work in this area, call Rob at Sunstoppers in Cornelius.

Appreciate 0