THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Help with a couple of weird noises on new M235i

11-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #1
dencobmw
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Help with a couple of weird noises on new M235i

I've had my M235i for a few weeks and have just over 2000 miles on it (went on a break-in road trip). There are two things I wanted to ask about to see if they are normal.

1) At around 2,500 rpms, there is a mechanical-ish vibration in the engine sound inside the cabin. It goes away by 3,000 rpms. It's not a rattle...it sounds almost like a servo or something. It fades in and out with the RPMs. I notice it in both comfort and sport mode and it happens while driving and while parked. Any ideas on what this is?

2) My brakes squeak! When I am rolling at very slow speeds there is a pretty loud break squeal. I've seen recommendations for doing some hard braking to get rid of it. I've done a couple of hard braking maneuvers at parking lot speeds but have been reluctant to do it at higher speeds. The squeal is still there. Is this common for performance brakes? Does it go away?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

All normal sounds. Some will argue the brake squeal is not normal, but if temps are cool and light application of pads against rotors you can get noise. But inspect each rotor for fingernail catching scoring to be sure a stone hadn't lodged into a pad.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 11:51 AM   #3
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

1 - Hard to say (engines make noise?) - does not sound like anything in particular. Perhaps you're noticing the difference in tone when the exhaust flap is opening or something. Either way the car is under warranty - unless it becomes something that sounds wrong or a check engine light, just assume its one of the 300 moving bits of metal under the hood.

2 - This is common on more aggressive brake compounds, especially when the weather gets colder at very low speeds. Generally when the pads have very little heat in them it is the worst. Just one of the cons (along with brake dust) of having more aggressive pads. It will likely fluctuate as the pads wear in and as the temps change.