E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E92 vibration on the car at higher speeds

11-05-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
GreQonE
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: '2011 E92 LCI 335i

Arrow E92 vibration on the car at higher speeds

Dear forum members,

There's plenty of topics like this, however up until now I have found no viable answer for my issue.

Here's the story:
After fitting my Summer tires, the steering wheel started vibrating along with the entirety of the car when braking from speeds exceeding 160 km/h, the vibration was so bad that it easiely knocked me from left to right of the lane.
I figured that rotors are bent and therefore changed both rotors and pads to the same as factory ones (ATE).

There was a slight improvement, however "shakiness" remained.
My next stop was to change wheels, so I have swapped the wheels for my winter set recently, and the whole car vibrates now
I am sure that wheels are properly weighed (is that the word? balanced?) as they just came back from renovation.
On the winter wheels vibration when braking seems to have subsided a whole lot, however is still present, when braking and when not braking as well, when exceeding speeds of 130km/h.

About the car:
Fairly fresh brake liquid (less than 6 months since last change)
New pads/rotors (ATE), had them for around 1 month now, they were broken in properly
car has 21 000 kilometers on the odometer
both sets of wheels are original BMW, and follow all of the "sticker" specification for my car (225/40/18 F 255/35/18 R for summer and 225/45/17 all round for winter)
My mechanic said that no apparent damage is visible to any suspension/steering components and all seems in good shape

Please advise

Cheers,
GreQonE
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 09:27 AM   #2
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreQonE View Post
Dear forum members,

There's plenty of topics like this, however up until now I have found no viable answer for my issue.

Here's the story:
After fitting my Summer tires, the steering wheel started vibrating along with the entirety of the car when braking from speeds exceeding 160 km/h, the vibration was so bad that it easiely knocked me from left to right of the lane.
I figured that rotors are bent and therefore changed both rotors and pads to the same as factory ones (ATE).

There was a slight improvement, however "shakiness" remained.
My next stop was to change wheels, so I have swapped the wheels for my winter set recently, and the whole car vibrates now
I am sure that wheels are properly weighed (is that the word? balanced?) as they just came back from renovation.
On the winter wheels vibration when braking seems to have subsided a whole lot, however is still present, when braking and when not braking as well, when exceeding speeds of 130km/h.

About the car:
Fairly fresh brake liquid (less than 6 months since last change)
New pads/rotors (ATE), had them for around 1 month now, they were broken in properly
car has 21 000 kilometers on the odometer
both sets of wheels are original BMW, and follow all of the "sticker" specification for my car (225/40/18 F 255/35/18 R for summer and 225/45/17 all round for winter)
My mechanic said that no apparent damage is visible to any suspension/steering components and all seems in good shape

Please advise

Cheers,
GreQonE
Get a good alignment from a dealer or a good indy
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #3
GreQonE
Private First Class
Poland
Rep

Thank you, will do!

Will post results once done.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #4
GreQonE
Private First Class
Poland
Rep

So...

My issue was fixed, it turned out that even the new rotors were warped.

Old OEM ones work great after regeneration.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0