E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Help me diagnose my problem...misfire related

11-02-2015, 11:36 PM   #1
Mcdougal
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Sedan

Help me diagnose my problem...misfire related

I'm getting misfires in multiple cylinders (2, 3, 5 and 6 if I remember correctly). It takes a while to start when cold but seems to fire right up when it is warm. Also, when I recently changed the plugs there was some oil on the threads of the plugs from cylinders 5 and 6. I'm not sure if the starting issue or having oil on the plugs are related to the misfires. The car runs fine and there isn't any stuttering or hesitation that I notice.

I just bought the car a few weeks ago so I'm not sure what maintenance has been done. I plan on having it walnut blasted in the next couple of weeks when a local member who does blasting on the side is back. I'd be surprised if it has ever been blasted and it has 64k on the clock.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 02:51 AM   #2
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

Sounds like it could be leaky injectors.
      11-03-2015, 06:25 AM   #3
jtswole
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Check VC gasket and injectors.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Likely valve cover gasket, potentially cracked valve cover, plugs and injectors. I don't think it's just one of these.

It likely hasn't been blasted either.

Inspect the valve cover thoroughly and look for oil seepage and cracks.

That will need to be address and then you can change the plugs.

If the plugs are still fouled with fuel it could be an indication of a leaky injector.

With that kind of mileage those problems areas I listed first are all potentially on the way out.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 09:39 AM   #5
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdougal View Post
I'm getting misfires in multiple cylinders (2, 3, 5 and 6 if I remember correctly). It takes a while to start when cold but seems to fire right up when it is warm. Also, when I recently changed the plugs there was some oil on the threads of the plugs from cylinders 5 and 6. I'm not sure if the starting issue or having oil on the plugs are related to the misfires. The car runs fine and there isn't any stuttering or hesitation that I notice.

I just bought the car a few weeks ago so I'm not sure what maintenance has been done. I plan on having it walnut blasted in the next couple of weeks when a local member who does blasting on the side is back. I'd be surprised if it has ever been blasted and it has 64k on the clock.

Start with spark plugs and work your way from there. Blasting is a good idea. When doing that inspect the valve cover for any cracks or leaks. If none of the above fix the issue then you will need to move to the fueling side in terms of injectors, coil packs, fuel pump.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 03:30 PM   #6
Mcdougal
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Sedan

Thanks for the comments everyone. I replaced the plugs last week but it is still misfiring and taking a while to start. Based on your comments I will check the valve cover and gasket for leaks next and move to the fueling-related items after.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 03:39 PM   #7
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdougal View Post

Start with spark plugs and work your way from there. Blasting is a good idea. When doing that inspect the valve cover for any cracks or leaks. If none of the above fix the issue then you will need to move to the fueling side in terms of injectors, coil packs, fuel pump.

Mike
May as well replace coils while doing plugs and take spark out of the equation, particularly if you will tune it...

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0