E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Misfire Code after unplugging battery

11-02-2015, 01:57 PM   #1
dieselhead
Cars vs Life Goals
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6MT - loaded up

Misfire Code after unplugging battery

Hi guys -

So I've read over every single misfire thread out there so please excuse my request for advice here. My issue started the evening after I unplugged my battery to change out my headlight bulbs. After doing so everything seemed just fine. Threw the 4x4 code and I got rid of that by turning the steering wheel to full lock in each direction. So later that evening I'm cruising enjoying my new headlights and all of a sudden I feel it. A distinct hard idle, especially noticeable under a load. Then pops up the CEL, I run my the code and it reads a misfire on cylinder #4. I park the old girl and pop the hood. I rule out ignition coil by switching the #4 cylinder coil with #3...the misfire did not follow the coil. Next I broke out my spare set of spark plugs. Replaced all of them, as they were probably due anyways, and to my disappointment the misfire persists.

SO now I am the crossroads. It's obviously either the injector or the HPFP, or so I think. I'm leaning towards the injector.

But before doing that I am just wondering if someone could shed some light on the possibility that it's something in the computer systems. Perhaps a coding issue?, that could have been triggered by unplugging the battery. I've read of all kinds of issues that can arise from loss of power.

Any info or insight would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise ready to order injectors and get this thing back on the road.

Thanks in advance!!
      11-02-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

Did you clear the code? And has it come back after doing so?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 06:53 PM   #3
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Under what conditions is the misfire occurring? Like mentioned above did you clear the code? Any chance you got a bad tank of gas?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 07:21 PM   #4
dieselhead
Cars vs Life Goals
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6MT - loaded up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335NJ View Post
Did you clear the code? And has it come back after doing so?
I did clear the code and it does keep recurring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Under what conditions is the misfire occurring? Like mentioned above did you clear the code? Any chance you got a bad tank of gas?

Mike
Misfire occurs under under all conditions - idle, acceleration, etc. Cleared the code and problem persists and CEL comes back on. I'm very doubtful that it could be the gas as I always pump from the same station (very busy place and a reputable corporation). Plus I filled my 2 other vehicles from the same place, 1 of which on the same day. Just so strange that the problem did not pop up until after I had the battery unplugged