E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Quite the predicament.. Blown Motor

10-26-2015, 05:44 PM   #1
MENAC3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quite the predicament.. Blown Motor

We have ran into some trouble over the weekend and are looking for any insight to help to answer our questions here. She has JB4, intake, downpipes, exhaust, FMIC on the car and it was running pretty healthy. She took the car for an oil change on Tuesday and got the car back Wednesday. Shop said that they don't usually deal with BMW's but he'll make an exception this one time. Drove the car for 2 days and brought it to BMW to reset the computer. Long story short they didn't reset the computer, tried to sell her brake fluid.. she took the car and went on her merry way. This was Friday. Car was driven maybe 100 miles after oil change.

Saturday night we are driving the car we are in 4th gear mid rev range prob around 4-5k rpms, the car is boosting.. the motor shuts down, no pop, bang or crack heard and is smoking from under the hood. We did notice that the car was not gaining revs as fast as usual but it ran strong, just didn't seem all there. I pop the hood to take a look and it smells like something is burning. Pop the oil cap and a ton of white smoke comes out. I tried jumping the car multiple times and tried going directly to the battery as well, Nothing... Tried rolling the car downhill and popping into gear.. nothing. Tires just skid and the motor wouldn't turn.

We towed the car to a shop that has worked on the car in the past, (re-built the head and VANOS system). Basically there is a piston lodged in the block, valves bent, fried, the whole 9 yards. We need a new motor.

What we are trying to figure out is if a over rev that occurred around July could be the culprit here. The shop is saying that this could have caused a knick in the cylinder wall and over time it got worse and worse to the point of destruction... Which we are facing now.

Also, if anyone has any insight as to where we can get a used N55 for a decent price we would greatly appreciate it. This is my girlfriends car.. she is a nursing student busting her ass to pay for this car.. and now has to try and find a new engine for it. Any info or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any help the BMW community can provide!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

So shop that admits they don't usually do BMW oil changes, but makes an exception. Not even a week later the engine locks up?

Uh, I'd be paying someone to confirm this was caused by that shops mistake.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 06:42 PM   #3
blaster3500
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Check car-part.com. Also I would have the shop drain the oil and see how much was it it. Did the low oil light ever come on?
      10-26-2015, 06:45 PM   #4
MENAC3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster3500 View Post
Check car-part.com. Also I would have the shop drain the oil and see how much was it it. Did the low oil light ever come on?
Thank you. They said that the oil was probably not the cause, yet there was metal shavings in the oil. I did not ask how much was in the car.. I will do so tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 07:48 PM   #5
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335NJ View Post
So shop that admits they don't usually do BMW oil changes, but makes an exception. Not even a week later the engine locks up?

I agree. The fact that they even said they don't usually deal with BMWs for something as simple as an oil change would make me suspicious.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 07:53 PM   #6
shirtpants_
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335NJ View Post

+1, I remember reading a thread a while back about a guy who was getting an aftermarket oil cooler put in, but the car was apparently run without oil for some time by the shop or something. Ill try to edit in the link if i can find it
Edit: Here's the thread- http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851558
TLDR; Car was run with no oil or not enough oil. Engine failed, then insurance covered the cost of a new used engine. That engine failed too (unrelated problems), so insurance covered a second engine replacement

Last edited by shirtpants_; 10-26-2015 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I'd question what oil was used and how much but I'm not sure we can point fingers yet without knowing some more.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Damage from an over rev can take a while to show up.
      10-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #9
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Damage from an over rev can take a while to show up.
+1

Also, you would have noticed the low engine level warning if they didn't put enough oil into the car. Its pretty obvious.

Mike
Appreciate 0