E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Wastegate Rattle Or...?

10-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #1
cochran
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i (E90)

Wastegate Rattle Or...?

Anyone know how to truly distinguish between a wastegate rattle vs exhaust flap rattle vs heatshield rattle? Currently on my 2009 e90 335 I'm getting a loud rattle on cold start for about 3 seconds, if i rev it in neutral I don't hear any rattle. However, on acceleration on low speeds ~0-40 mph i hear the rattle but as soon as i take my foot off the gas it immediately goes away. I've read a lot that wastegate rattle primarily rattles off deceleration, yet I only hear the rattle on acceleration and complete silence when foot is off gas. I just got downpipes put in recently so the rattle is significantly louder than it was before. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Car is stock besides JB4 + VRSF downpipes (same rattle was heard although significantly quieter prior to DP's, and prior to JB4)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 02:15 AM   #2
limitdown
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E93

I had a rattle on acceleration that turned out to be my midpipes hitting another part of the undercarriage. My Indy adjusted the mid and rear exhaust bolts and the rattling went away.
Appreciate 0