E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dilemma in diagnosing hpfp/lpfp/injectors....

10-15-2015, 02:57 PM   #1
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Dilemma in diagnosing hpfp/lpfp/injectors....

Guys,

I need your opinions on something. Here's a little background for those of you that haven't read my other threads.

I've been having rough idle and car died in traffic a couple times, all within the last month - month and a half. Took the car to the dealership, had them run tests on hpfp and injectors, they found nothing. They even did a smoke test for leaks, and found nothing as well. They said they 'torqued' down a couple spark plugs (due to misfire codes they found), and she ran smoother, that was B.S. Read the injector values via INPA, and three of the injectors flow vales are way off compared to others (1 in bank one, 2 in bank two), but the 'energy comparison' in ALL the injectors are very close in range. I heard that in order to see if the injectors/hpfp/lpfp is working properly, I'd have to do some pulls and datalog.

Here's the catch:
I'm still on Procede Rev3, and it doesn't have to ability to log hpfp/lpfp/injector values. So.........I really want to get new injectors, BUT I also don't want to keep throwing $$ at her without first identifying the culprit.

Does COBB AP allow me to monitor and log the hpfp/lpfp/injector pressure/flow rates? If so, think it's a good idea to get the COBB AP and log the above values to see if in fact the injectors are taking a dump?

My thinking is this:
I can probably get a new COBB AP V3 (or whatever the latest version is) for less than $700, the injectors are about $800 for all six (RockAuto). Use the AP to log the hpfp/lpfp/injector values, and go from there. Rather than spend $800 on injectors, only to find out that that didn't make a difference......

Let me know what you guys think!!

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 03:48 PM   #2
sk55
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi coupe

why get cobb?

get cheap andriod tablet and mhd flasher.. cheaper 2 min flashes its awesome.

but i would get a jb4 is easier to log..i do it on my iphone (or andriod) no wires dangling around... email the log out from the phone... nice and clean.+ there a whole vendor forum to read logs for you... can't beat that....

what ever you do get some sort of logging... might be injectors, might be precat o2 sensors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
Guys,

I need your opinions on something. Here's a little background for those of you that haven't read my other threads.

I've been having rough idle and car died in traffic a couple times, all within the last month - month and a half. Took the car to the dealership, had them run tests on hpfp and injectors, they found nothing. They even did a smoke test for leaks, and found nothing as well. They said they 'torqued' down a couple spark plugs (due to misfire codes they found), and she ran smoother, that was B.S. Read the injector values via INPA, and three of the injectors flow vales are way off compared to others (1 in bank one, 2 in bank two), but the 'energy comparison' in ALL the injectors are very close in range. I heard that in order to see if the injectors/hpfp/lpfp is working properly, I'd have to do some pulls and datalog.

Here's the catch:
I'm still on Procede Rev3, and it doesn't have to ability to log hpfp/lpfp/injector values. So.........I really want to get new injectors, BUT I also don't want to keep throwing $$ at her without first identifying the culprit.

Does COBB AP allow me to monitor and log the hpfp/lpfp/injector pressure/flow rates? If so, think it's a good idea to get the COBB AP and log the above values to see if in fact the injectors are taking a dump?

My thinking is this:
I can probably get a new COBB AP V3 (or whatever the latest version is) for less than $700, the injectors are about $800 for all six (RockAuto). Use the AP to log the hpfp/lpfp/injector values, and go from there. Rather than spend $800 on injectors, only to find out that that didn't make a difference......

Let me know what you guys think!!

TIA
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 02:32 PM   #3
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk55 View Post
why get cobb?

get cheap andriod tablet and mhd flasher.. cheaper 2 min flashes its awesome.

but i would get a jb4 is easier to log..i do it on my iphone (or andriod) no wires dangling around... email the log out from the phone... nice and clean.+ there a whole vendor forum to read logs for you... can't beat that....

what ever you do get some sort of logging... might be injectors, might be precat o2 sensors...
I wanted to go COBB and get a ProTune with E85.....I know you can do it on other platforms of tunes.....

Just debating on whether to spend money on new injectors, hoping that that solves my rough idling, or get COBB to monitor/log the parts in question.....

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 07:41 PM   #4
sk55
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi coupe

monitor and log...

otherwise ur will be guessing and wasting cash.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 08:10 PM   #5
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

This is what I'm dealing with.....

Out of ideas as to why she's behaving this way....

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #6
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So I changed my coils (all 6 of them), and not a difference at all.......I could change the plugs again, but I doubt that's the culprit, considering that I changed BOTH coils and plugs about a year or so ago......

Now I'm debating on whether or not to just pull the trigger on new injectors, hoping that they're the culprit, OR go with either COBB or MHD that has the logging ability, to see what's causing my issue. I'm currently on Procede still, and it does not have the capability to log what I need logged.......

Oh, I forgot to mention one more thing, while sitting in traffic, my car's rpm jumps and the car lurches forward a little, while my foot is on the brake......Kinda scary TBH.

Any opinions are welcome.

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #7
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

I have the Cobb v3 and I'd suggest you go with MHD, nothing wrong with Cobb at all...tuning wise MHD is same if not better argued by some, and much less cost. You'll be able to log away and have peace of mind.
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 06:58 PM   #8
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

FWIW I know a guy who had rough idle, with rpm not being constant and the car felt like it was lacking power. He replaced his injectors and bam solved his issue.

My advice would be to strip the engine cover off and check the revision of the injectors. If they're an older revision and 4+ years old swap them out for a fresh set.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 09:56 PM   #9
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

thanks for the feedbacks!

Yes I'm leaning towards the injectors as well, but then came up on a thread regarding fried MOSFET in the DME.....

So if I want to go the MHD route, what Android tablet is good for it? I don't have ANY Android devices.

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #10
zmon1300
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Xdrive Coupe

Any android tablet will work as long as it has the microusb port on it. Cheap $50 tablet from amazon will work. Then you have to get the K+DScan Cable from amazon. I think it was like $25 for it. Make sure the tablet has a otg cable. You need a otg cable to connect the DScan Cable to your tablet. Once you get all that, download the MHD App on the tablet. Then, if you just want to read codes, I believe you do not have to purchase any in-app functions. Just go to the read tab which is gonna be on the far right and click read codes. If if says you need to buy the flasher module, I think its $70 for that in the app. So, it is still cheaper than COBB and is a lot easier to log.

Good Luck!
      11-14-2015, 05:50 PM   #11
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

UPDATE!

So I just changed all six injectors, the new ones are index 12s. Friend coded them with INPA, reset values via Procede Command Center. Started her up, idles fine until the rpms dropped to 600, then it starts to dip and jump randomly, sounds like it's choking or out of fuel....

Also checked codes, none were found except the AFS module, which was from disconnecting the battery for the injector swap.

Next up is the LPFP, you guys think that might end up being the culprit? I already have a Stage 2 LPFP sitting in the garage for some time now, I think it might be time to swap that out as well.

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #12
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

UPDATE!

UPDATE!

So I just changed all six injectors, the new ones are index 12s. Friend coded them with INPA, reset values via Procede Command Center. Started her up, idles fine until the rpms dropped to 600, then it starts to dip and jump randomly, sounds like it's choking or out of fuel....

Also checked codes, none were found except the AFS module, which was from disconnecting the battery for the injector swap.

Next up is the LPFP, you guys think that might end up being the culprit? I already have a Stage 2 LPFP sitting in the garage for some time now, I think it might be time to swap that out as well.

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 07:36 PM   #13
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

How are your fuel trims? How about A/F ratio on both banks? Before you go replacing stuff you should pull a few logs and monitor your fuel pressure..
      11-15-2015, 12:50 AM   #14
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Update again!

Just had a friend reset my adaptation values through INPA. I guess it works better than resetting via procede.

So far so good, problem solved, only tile will tell if it is indeed fixed.

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 07:28 PM   #15
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

UPDATE!!

So since the last update, after resetting adaptations through INPA, although the car was idling smooth while in Park, when I'm in Drive and stopped, it idles LOUD, and VIBRATES like hell. I can feel the vibration through the center console and the driver side door panel. Funny thing though, it DOES NOT vibrate on the passenger side door panel......hmmmm

I still think there's something up. I was told that the 'wide-band' wasn't working/showing on the INPA when we looked at it before resetting. Bad O2 sensor maybe?

FWIW, I know my car, so whatever it is I'm dealing with, or think it's wrong, it's exactly just that......I've had her since 3 miles on the clock, tuned before running through the first tank of gas, so ya, I know what she's suppose to drive and sound like.....Just a matter of figuring out the culprit.

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0