E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Pictures, Video, and Details of my Custom Exhaust System.

10-12-2015, 10:47 PM   #1
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep
Drives: E61

Pictures, Video, and Details of my Custom Exhaust System.

Gentlemen,

I recently had a custom exhaust system built for my N54 E61 and am very happy with the results. Here is the run-down on the system.

BACKGROUND

For the past 2 years the exhaust on my wagon has gone through many different iterations. First was a simple muffler delete, a fun improvement over stock but it left me wanting more. Next the 2ndary cats were replaced with Vibrant 1792s which offered a slight bump in sound volume.

After a while I got bored and decided to have a local muffler shop do a "custom" system for me, the 3' of oem piping (crushed ~2.3") off the DPs was left in place and the rest of the system was comprised of a Magnaflow resonated x-pipe, 2 Vibrant 1792s, and a muffler delete with a small H-pipe before the tips, all piping after the Magnaflow was crush-bent 2.5". Although there was drone in the 2,000-2,500rpm range, this setup yielded a nice smooth sound, in contrast to the flappy, farty, or raspy sound of many N54 exhausts.

In attempts to kill the drone I replaced the Vibrant 1792s (12") with their longer 18" siblings. Drone persisted but the sound got slightly softer and quieter. I started to research helmholtz and branch resonators and as an experiment had the old 1792 bottle resonators capped and welded into the muffler section as helmholtz resonators, I figured it could only help, WRONG, drone was worse. Immediately I had the muffler shop cut out everything after the Magnaflow resonator so the system is now straight piped with only the Magnaflow resonator in the mix. Surprisingly the system wasn't terribly loud, louder than before, yes, but with the added volume you got more "real" mechanical sounds. I had enough, after hearing a custom single 3" exhaust on my friends E90 (had RBs, now has an FFTEC 6466) I was convinced that was the way to go.

BUILD

Initially I ordered a QTP valve and 2 resonators so the system would be Valve Open: 1 resonator, Valve Closed: 2 resonators. I liked the idea of having options but fitting all this after my rear-axle would be a challenge and after hearing the single resonator setup I was convinced it would be quite enough for me.

Flash forward to October 2015 and I am discussing my plan with Josh at JFR Motors in Costa Mesa, CA. All is good and I drop my car off the next day with the parts I purchased for the build. Here are the specifics on my exhaust system, keep in mind I have AR "off-road" DPs.

Mandrel Bent, Stainless Steel, Tig Welded
Vibrant 2.5" flanges
Custom 2-1 Merge Collector (made by Josh) IN: dual 2.5" OUT: single 3"
Vibrant 63004 4" Flex Section
Vibrant 1142 3" IN/OUT "Ultra Quiet" Resonator
Custom 1-2 Y-pipe (made by Josh) with dual 3.5" x 12" Slash Cut Tips (Black)

RESULT

The end result surpassed my expectations, drone which used to plague me between 2,000-2,500rpm is gone, there is some resonance around 1,500rpm but this is only noticeable when putting around parking lots. In-cabin sound levels are very manageable and I would say lower than my old system. The exhaust is now more 2 faced meaning when driven conservatively it is rather tame and civil, but when given the beans really rips.

The WOT sound is great and IMO one of the best sounds produced by a twin turbo N54. Most other N54 exhausts I like are paired with single turbos, like my buddies FFTEC E90 (custom exhaust by Filthy Fabrications) and the 829whp E90 by Motiv (exhaust unknown but Youtube it). I can't stand rasp and I am happy to say that this system is also rasp free.

In addition to the increased flow (will dyno again soon) and lighter weight, there is a significant jump in turbo noise, mainly off throttle whistle, I love it! I think this is in part due to the large diameter piping and cleaner routing. The car sounds serious!

As my wrenching skills progress along with my wagon obsession, I become more hesitant to let others work on my car. But after seeing Josh's shop, hearing his thoughts, and seeing his work, I trust him 100% and happily recommend him to others. His shop is called JFR Motors and is located in Costa Mesa, CA. (Orange County)

MEDIA

Here is a short compilation of videos I have thus far, there will be more to come.

Cold Start

Freeway Cruising

Here are some pictures of both my old and new systems. Although not all but most photos will have a corresponding description.

If you are local and want to hear it, let me know!
Evan

My original muffler delete

The system after removing 2ndary cats and oem resonator: 3' of oem crushed 2.3" piping, Magnaflow resonated x-pipe, 2.5" crush bent piping. Vibrant 1792s, H-pipe muffler delete, dual 3.5" slash cut tips

Oem ***-back section

Vibrant 1792 (12") replaced with 1793s (18")

Old H-pipe muffler delete

Vibrant 1792s capped and welded in as helmholtz chambers, this did not work.

Parts for the custom system

At JFR Motors, build in progress

Josh doing work

Merge collector welded, flex section tack welded.

Blurry detail

Y-Pipe/Tips

Detail 1

Detail 2

Detail 3

Detail 4

Nice!

Detail 5

V-band detail

Complete 1

Complete 2

Complete 3 (sorry for the angle)

Rear section complete

Last edited by ucsbwsr; 10-13-2015 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 3
      10-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Here are some additional sound clips.
Evan

Appreciate 2
      10-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #3
b1mmr
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI E90

Nice write up very informative, I can see now how you could have spent 2k going through all of this.
      10-21-2015, 09:45 PM   #4
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_N54 View Post
Nice write up very informative, I can see now how you could have spent 2k going through all of this.
Honestly for the amount of forethought, attention to detail, and skill it takes to build a legit exhaust system $2,000 or less is a decent deal IMO for parts and labor, especially on cars like ours where space is tight.

Evan
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 10:29 PM   #5
ksalih
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

This exhaust setup is, undoubtedly my favorite sounding n54 setup! The rasp has been eliminated and the turbo spool at idle is superb. I am currently running dual resonators in place of secondary cats and straight pipes all the way back. The rasp is somewhat terrible, as I thought the resonators would've removed such. Any recommendations on how to imitate this sound but for the e92 n54 (dual pipes all the way back)?
      10-21-2015, 10:35 PM   #6
b1mmr
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_N54 View Post
Honestly for the amount of forethought, attention to detail, and skill it takes to build a legit exhaust system $2,000 or less is a decent deal IMO for parts and labor, especially on cars like ours where space is tight.

Evan
True, and it's not like you did it all at once... The welds are so legit
      10-21-2015, 11:54 PM   #7
NoPwrOvrMe
Your Master.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' Charger SRT, 07' G55 AMG

How much was the final cost? I live near jfr and might have him do my next setup
      10-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #8
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalih View Post
This exhaust setup is, undoubtedly my favorite sounding n54 setup! The rasp has been eliminated and the turbo spool at idle is superb. I am currently running dual resonators in place of secondary cats and straight pipes all the way back. The rasp is somewhat terrible, as I thought the resonators would've removed such. Any recommendations on how to imitate this sound but for the e92 n54 (dual pipes all the way back)?
"Off-Road" DPs? So your system is essentially straight piped with 2 resonators? What kind?

Crossing/mixing the exhaust streams should help with the rasp, that is why I originally went with the Magnaflow resonated x-pipe, it killed 2 birds with one stone. It sounded good too, the only problem was drone.

So far I am yet to hear that single pipe N54 system that sounds bad, so if you are inclined I think that would be the way to go, if not adding an x-pipe, especially a resonated one should be a step in the right direction.

I am no expert, just making some suggestions based off my personal experience and some research I have done so take it for what it's worth,
Evan
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 10:13 AM   #9
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPwrOvrMe View Post
How much was the final cost? I live near jfr and might have him do my next setup
I have not sat down with a calculator but my estimate is right around $2,100. It could have been done cheaper if I wasn't picky about my tips (and having a custom y-pipe fabbed for it), you could also have a premade merge collector purchased for about $60 instead of paying $300 for one to be made. In the end I am happy Josh custom fabbed everything because he got to make it exactly as he needed and the system is complete/cohesive. If you were frugal with collecting parts and don't see why you couldn't have one built for around $1,500.

I see you are in Orange County. If you like we can meet up and I can show you the exhaust in person, give you a ride, and have you fully experience the system. Let me know!

Evan
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 05:29 PM   #10
ksalih
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr View Post
"Off-Road" DPs? So your system is essentially straight piped with 2 resonators? What kind?

Crossing/mixing the exhaust streams should help with the rasp, that is why I originally went with the Magnaflow resonated x-pipe, it killed 2 birds with one stone. It sounded good too, the only problem was drone.

So far I am yet to hear that single pipe N54 system that sounds bad, so if you are inclined I think that would be the way to go, if not adding an x-pipe, especially a resonated one should be a step in the right direction.

I am no expert, just making some suggestions based off my personal experience and some research I have done so take it for what it's worth,
Evan
Thanks for the response. It is essentially straight piped, with the exception of the 2 secondary cats replaced with AR20 resonators. The DP's are catless or "off-road". I believe the OEM e92 335i exhaust contains an X-pipe portion and I honestly cannot remember if my straight pipes have an X-pipe incorporated in them or do not. I could start there. Ideally I would love to recreate a setup such as yours, with a 2 into 1 after the DP's and a single resonated 3" straight pipe that splits into 2 before the rear. The drone isn't bad with my current setup, but the rasp is ridiculous.
      10-23-2015, 11:04 AM   #11
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the response. It is essentially straight piped, with the exception of the 2 secondary cats replaced with AR20 resonators. The DP's are catless or "off-road". I believe the OEM e92 335i exhaust contains an X-pipe portion and I honestly cannot remember if my straight pipes have an X-pipe incorporated in them or do not. I could start there. Ideally I would love to recreate a setup such as yours, with a 2 into 1 after the DP's and a single resonated 3" straight pipe that splits into 2 before the rear. The drone isn't bad with my current setup, but the rasp is ridiculous.
If you can find a muffler shop that does cheap/decent work, it would interesting to see how a single 3" exhaust would sound when it was crush-bent and mig welded. The shop in the Bay Area that did most of my revisions were very fair, the pic above where my complete exhaust system is on the ground, they did that for around $300 IIRC. When I would go and have them make some changes, or even cap and weld on those resonators in the muffler area they would only charge me $50-$80 so it made experimenting very easy.

If you want to pursue something like this I would recommend buying a merge collector from www.mandrel-bends.com along with the additional components of your choice for the build.

Evan
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 12:28 PM   #12
teknic90
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2020 G20 M340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Quote:

If you can find a muffler shop that does cheap/decent work, it would interesting to see how a single 3" exhaust would sound when it was crush-bent and mig welded. The shop in the Bay Area that did most of my revisions were very fair, the pic above where my complete exhaust system is on the ground, they did that for around $300 IIRC. When I would go and have them make some changes, or even cap and weld on those resonators in the muffler area they would only charge me $50-$80 so it made experimenting very easy.

If you want to pursue something like this I would recommend buying a merge collector from www.mandrel-bends.com along with the additional components of your choice for the build.

Evan
Thanks Evan!

You have motivated me to go out and do this on my own, following your example (tired of waiting for VRSF) and now I think I have a better idea of what I want. Really like the single side exhaust too.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 02:31 PM   #13
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknic90 View Post
Thanks Evan!

You have motivated me to go out and do this on my own, following your example (tired of waiting for VRSF) and now I think I have a better idea of what I want. Really like the single side exhaust too.
Awesome. Clean and simple is the way to go!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 02:46 PM   #14
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Gotta say I'm not too fond of the wagon thing, but you have a pretty damn cool one. Looks good, sounds good and has all that power. Changed my wagon view..just a little.
      10-24-2015, 03:36 PM   #15
NoPwrOvrMe
Your Master.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' Charger SRT, 07' G55 AMG

Is that a LED light bar I see under the trunk? if so what is it for?
      10-24-2015, 03:49 PM   #16
TrollToll
Banned
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
It's wired in as a reverse light.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 05:23 PM   #17
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it is a Rigid Industries 6" SR in flood optics and it wired into my reverse lights, it certainly works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Gotta say I'm not too fond of the wagon thing, but you have a pretty damn cool one. Looks good, sounds good and has all that power. Changed my wagon view..just a little.
Wagons have their perks, especially when they can run with pretty much anything on the streets.

Evan

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 09:29 PM   #18
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Wondering if that resonator will fit under a 335 without hanging too low?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #19
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
Wondering if that resonator will fit under a 335 without hanging too low?
Depends where you put it. Depends how low you are. Depends how skilled your fabricator is.

It is not a very large unit, the dimensions can be found on the Vibrant website.

Last edited by ucsbwsr; 10-26-2015 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #20
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Cleanest wagon I've seen. I'd rock it.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 11:20 AM   #21
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Here are a couple more detail pics,
Evan

[IMG]
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #22
3pointohhhh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Props. This setup is very close to what I want. I've been thinking about switching to a single outlet bumper on my 335xi.I think these straight 6s sound way better with single exhaust. Less whiny honda, more torque monster.
Appreciate 0